Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 00:00 It is currently 18 May 2024, 00:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Current Student
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 58
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [40]
Given Kudos: 60
Location: Ukraine, Kyiv
Concentration: BBA, Finance
 Q39  V21 GMAT 2: 640  Q45  V33
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65340 [21]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Status:Math and DI Expert
Posts: 11264
Own Kudos [?]: 32573 [4]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 102
Own Kudos [?]: 347 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Answer is B:

1/X + 1/Y < 2

The maximum value of 1/X is 1 because if X equals any other number greater than one it will be a fraction. The same is true with 1/Y.

So 1/X and 1/Y will always be less than 2 as long as both X and Y are not both equal to one at the same time.

Another way of putting it is:

X*Y>1
Retired Moderator
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 908
Own Kudos [?]: 1177 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
My take on this :

From the equation :
x + y < 2xy


=> xy > (x+y)/2

So if x and y are two different positive integers, taking the two least values as 1 and 2, we have x > 1.5 at least. Hence xy > 1.

Answer B.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
2
Bookmarks
Quote:
X and Y are positive integers. If 1/X + 1/Y < 2, which of the following must be true?

(A) X+Y>4
(B) X*Y>1
(C) X/Y+Y/X<1
(D) (X-Y)^2>0
(E) None of the above


Let X=1,
1+1/Y<2
1/Y<1
1<Y

Y>1 when X=1,
A --> yes and no
B --> yes
C--> yes and no
D--> yes and no

Answer: B
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Status:Still Struggling
Posts: 94
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
3
Kudos
Guys, can you guide me how D is not true? coz last time i checked, square of any number is greater than 0. Even if x is less than y, still, it's square would me more than 0..unless, x = y...
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65340 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
krishnasty wrote:
Guys, can you guide me how D is not true? coz last time i checked, square of any number is greater than 0. Even if x is less than y, still, it's square would me more than 0..unless, x = y...


Given: 1/X + 1/Y < 2
Say X = 2, Y = 2
These values satisfy the inequality: 1/2 + 1/2 < 2

But they do not satisfy (D)
(X-Y)^2>0
(2-2)^2 = 0, not greater than 0
Hence (D) must not be true for all values. There are values that satisfy the inequality but does not satisfy (D)
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Status:Still Struggling
Posts: 94
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Karishma, now i need a confirmation on GMAT questions...
lets say that if two unknowns are given (like X and Y ), can we assume that these two are equals? I thought if we say x and y, they are implicitly different numbers..

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
krishnasty wrote:
Guys, can you guide me how D is not true? coz last time i checked, square of any number is greater than 0. Even if x is less than y, still, it's square would me more than 0..unless, x = y...


Given: 1/X + 1/Y < 2
Say X = 2, Y = 2
These values satisfy the inequality: 1/2 + 1/2 < 2

But they do not satisfy (D)
(X-Y)^2>0
(2-2)^2 = 0, not greater than 0
Hence (D) must not be true for all values. There are values that satisfy the inequality but does not satisfy (D)
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65340 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
krishnasty wrote:
Karishma, now i need a confirmation on GMAT questions...
lets say that if two unknowns are given (like X and Y ), can we assume that these two are equals? I thought if we say x and y, they are implicitly different numbers..

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
krishnasty wrote:
Guys, can you guide me how D is not true? coz last time i checked, square of any number is greater than 0. Even if x is less than y, still, it's square would me more than 0..unless, x = y...


Given: 1/X + 1/Y < 2
Say X = 2, Y = 2
These values satisfy the inequality: 1/2 + 1/2 < 2

But they do not satisfy (D)
(X-Y)^2>0
(2-2)^2 = 0, not greater than 0
Hence (D) must not be true for all values. There are values that satisfy the inequality but does not satisfy (D)


Until and unless they mention 'distinct numbers' or 'X not equal to Y', X and Y can be equal. The equality can be a deal breaker/maker sometimes so you have to make sure that you have analyzed its effects too.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Status:Still Struggling
Posts: 94
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: India
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Thanks Karishma for the information.

Quote:
Until and unless they mention 'distinct numbers' or 'X not equal to Y', X and Y can be equal. The equality can be a deal breaker/maker sometimes so you have to make sure that you have analyzed its effects too.
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 334
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
barakhaiev wrote:
X and Y are positive integers. If 1/X + 1/Y < 2, which of the following must be true?

(A) X+Y>4
(B) X*Y>1
(C) X/Y+Y/X<1
(D) (X-Y)^2>0
(E) None of the above


Let x=2
Let y=2

\(\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}< 2\)

A) X+Y=4 OUT!
B) 2*2 > 1 HOLD!
C) 2/2 + 2/2 = 2 < 1 OUT!
D) (2-2)^2 = 0 OUT!

Answer: B
VP
VP
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Status:It's near - I can see.
Posts: 1477
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
barakhaiev wrote:
x and y are positive integers. If 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the following must be true?

(A) x + y > 4
(B) xy>1
(C) x/y + y/x < 1
(D) (x - y)^2 > 0
(E) None of the above


My Solution:

Given : x and y are positive integers

Stem: 1/x+1/y<2---x+y<2xy (as x and y are positive we can cross multiply)

So A) x+y>4 Try x=1 & y = 2 (Not true)

B) xy>1 Try x=1 and y = 2 (Always true) ) [Note (x=1 and y =1 is not possible values because with these values stem doesn't holds true]

This is our answer as not more then one correct answer choice is possible but we can try all choices for more clarity:

C) x/y+y/x<1 Try x=1 and y = 2 (Not true)

D) (x-y)^2 Try x=2 and y=2 (Not true)

E) Can never be true

Answer is B
Board of Directors
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2160
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
barakhaiev wrote:
x and y are positive integers. If 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the following must be true?

(A) x + y > 4
(B) xy>1
(C) x/y + y/x < 1
(D) (x - y)^2 > 0
(E) None of the above


I thought it is some kind of trap here..
we can rewrite the original as:
x+y<2xy

A - x=2, y=2 -> x+y is not greater than 4, yet 1/2 + 1/2 < 2. so A is out.
B - if x and y are both positive integers, xy>1 all the times - looks good.
C - x/y +y/x <1 or x^2 + y^2 < xy - which will never be true, if x and y are positive integers.
D - x^2 + y^2 > 2xy - suppose x=2 and y=2. 4+4 = 8. 2*2*2=8. 8=8, it's not an inequality.
E - since B works, e is out.
Senior SC Moderator
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 5330
Own Kudos [?]: 35561 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jedit wrote:
X and Y are positive integers. If 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the following must be true?

A. X+Y>4
B. XY>1
C. X/Y + Y/X < 1
D. (x-y)^2 > 0
E. none

\(\frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{y} < 2\)

Let x = 1 and y = 2

\(\frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{3}{2}\)

\(\frac{3}{2} < 2\) -- Those numbers for x and y work

MUST be true?

A. X+Y>4 - NO
1 + 2 = 3, which is not greater than 4

B. XY>1 YES
Because x and y are positive integers, there is only one way XY would NOT be greater than 1: if both x and y = 1. Then XY = 1.
But x = y = 1 violates the prompt: their reciprocals summed must be less than 2; in that case, they equal 2. This choice must be true.

C. X/Y + Y/X < 1 - NO
\(\frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{1}=\frac{5}{2}\)
\(\frac{5}{2}\) is not less than 1

D. (x-y)^2 > 0 NO
For this option, let x=y=2.
\((2-2)^2 = 0^2 = 0\)
0 is not greater than 0

E. none - NO - One of the answers, B, must be true.

Answer B
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93334
Own Kudos [?]: 624585 [0]
Given Kudos: 81898
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
barakhaiev wrote:
x and y are positive integers. If 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the following must be true?

(A) x + y > 4
(B) xy>1
(C) x/y + y/x < 1
(D) (x - y)^2 > 0
(E) None of the above


Official Solution:

If \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers and \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y} \lt 2\), which of the following must be true?

A. \(x + y \gt 4\)
B. \(xy \gt 1\)
C. \(\frac{x}{y} + \frac{y}{x} \lt 1\)
D. \((x - y)^2 \gt 0\)
E. none of the above


Given that \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers, it follows that they can take on the values \(1, 2, 3, \ldots\). However, if \(x=y=1\), then \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=2\), which violates the condition that \(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}1\). This means that option B is always true.

We can demonstrate that options A, C, and D are not always true by providing counterexamples. For instance, if we set \(x=y=2\), then we find that none of the options holds true.


Answer: B
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33057
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x and y are positive integers and 1/x + 1/y < 2, which of the [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93334 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts