GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 24
If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2018, 08:58
24
147
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:30) correct 48% (01:41) wrong based on 2276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If \(|x| < x^2\), which of the following must be true?

I. \(x^2 > 1\)

II. \(x > 0\)

III. \(x < -1\)


(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only


PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD AND FOLLOW THE LINKS PROVIDED IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION/SOLUTIONS CORRECTLY.

Originally posted by mehdiov on 20 Aug 2010, 11:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Apr 2018, 08:58, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 12:18
18
30
If \(|x| < x^2\), which of the following must be true?

I. \(x^2 > 1\)

II. \(x > 0\)

III. \(x < -1\)


(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only


Given: \(|x|<x^2\);

Reduce by \(|x|\): \(1<|x|\) (side note: we can safely do this as absolute value is non-negative and in this case we know it's not zero too, as if x would be zero inequality wouldn't hold true, so \(|x|>0\));

So we have that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).

I. \(x^2>1\) --> always true;

II. \(x>0\) --> may or may not be true;

III. \(x<-1\) --> may or may not be true.

Answer: A (I only).
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Location: Mumbai
Schools: Class of 2008, IIM Ahmedabad
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 12:22
7
Hi,

The X-Y plane of looking at it is the fastest way - I would guess.

Mod(x) looks like a V

x^2 is a parabola which just touches the x-axis (tangent) at the origin.

When x < -1; Mod(x) < x^2
When x = -1; Mod (x) = x^2
When -1<x<0; Mod(x) > x^2
When x = 0; Mod (x) = x^2
When 0<x<1; Mod(x) > x^2
When x = 1; Mod (x) = x^2
When x > 1; Mod(x) < x^2

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wrong forum ?!?!?
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Location: Mumbai
Schools: Class of 2008, IIM Ahmedabad
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 12:25
2
Bunuel wrote:
III. x<-1 --> --> may or may not be true.


Bunuel, Isn't this always true when |x|<x^2 ... Isn't the answer E.

Thanks.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 12:33
3
4gmatmumbai wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
III. x<-1 --> --> may or may not be true.


Bunuel, Isn't this always true when |x|<x^2 ... Isn't the answer E.

Thanks.


\(|x|<x^2\) is given as fact and then we asked to determine which of the following statements MUST be true.

\(|x|<x^2\) means that either \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\), \(x\) can be ANY value from these two ranges, (I think in your own solution you've reached this conclusion: when \(x<-1\) the graph of \(|x|\) is below (less than) the graph of \(x^2\) and when \(x>\)1 again the graph of \(|x|\) is below the graph of \(x^2\)).

Now, III says \(x<-1\) this statement is not always true as \(x\) can be for example 3 and in this case \(x<-1\) doesn't hold true.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 158
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2010, 00:01
I'm confused, because if x= -2 ==> |x|< x^2

|x|< x^2, X^2 should always be > 1
Can eliminate II, because if x=1/2, |x|> x^2

Could you give an example Bunuel
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2010, 01:24
4
4
qweert wrote:
I'm confused, because if x= -2 ==> |x|< x^2

|x|< x^2, X^2 should always be > 1
Can eliminate II, because if x=1/2, |x|> x^2

Could you give an example Bunuel


Question is: "which of the following statements MUST be true", not COULD be true.

We are GIVEN that \(|x|<x^2\), which means that either \(x<-1\) OR \(x>1\).

So GIVEN that: \(x<-1\) OR \(x>1\).

Statement II. is \(x<-1\) always true? NO. As \(x\) could be more than 1, eg. 2, 3, 5.7, ... and in this case \(x<-1\) is not true. So statement II which says that \(x<-1\) is not always true.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2010
Posts: 501
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 00:40
mehdiov, what's the OA?

Bunuel, I understand your reasoning but I don't think you are right. IMO the answer is E. Should we follow your logic:

Quote:
Statement II. is x<-1 always true? NO. As x could be more than 1, eg. 2, 3, 5.7, ... and in this case x<-1 is not true. So statement II which says that x<-1 is not always true.


Then we can't even accept I, since x doesn't always have to be greater than 1 (it can be -10, -50 etc.).

The question is similar to (but I still think that it is different):

ps-inequality-13943.html

Maybe I don't understand something.

Thanks.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 03:03
1
nonameee wrote:
mehdiov, what's the OA?

Bunuel, I understand your reasoning but I don't think you are right. IMO the answer is E. Should we follow your logic:

Quote:
Statement II. is x<-1 always true? NO. As x could be more than 1, eg. 2, 3, 5.7, ... and in this case x<-1 is not true. So statement II which says that x<-1 is not always true.


Then we can't even accept I, since x doesn't always have to be greater than 1 (it can be -10, -50 etc.).

The question is similar to (but I still think that it is different):

ps-inequality-13943.html

Maybe I don't understand something.

Thanks.


OA is A.

\(|x|<x^2\) means that either \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\). For example \(x\) could be -5, -3, 2, 3, ...

Basically the question is: If \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\) which of the following must be true?

You are saying that answer is: E (I and III only). Is III: \(x<-1\) ALWAYS true? Is it true for \(x=3\)? NO. So E is not correct.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 133
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2012, 22:02
Hi, If i solve option 1. i get x^2-1>0 or (x+1)(x-1)>0 this implies : x>-1 or x>1.. however the question in the stem can be rephrased as x<-1 or X>1.. How is option 1 true then?am i missing something?

Bunuel wrote:
mehdiov wrote:
If |x|<x^2 , which of the following must be true?

I. x^2>1
II. x>0
III. x<-1

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

what is the fastest way to solbe it ?


Given: \(|x|<x^2\) --> reduce by \(|x|\) (side note: we can safely do this as absolute value is non-negative and in this case we know it's not zero too, as if x would be zero inequality wouldn't hold true, so \(|x|>0\)) --> \(1<|x|\) --> \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).

So we have that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).


I. x^2>1 --> always true;
II. x>0 --> may or may not be true;
III. x<-1 --> --> may or may not be true.

Answer: A (I only).
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2012, 22:06
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Hi, If i solve option 1. i get x^2-1>0 or (x+1)(x-1)>0 this implies : x>-1 or x>1.. however the question in the stem can be rephrased as x<-1 or X>1.. How is option 1 true then?am i missing something?


x^2-1>0 --> x<-1 or x>1.

Solving inequalities:
x2-4x-94661.html#p731476
inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html?hilit=extreme#p873535
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html?hilit=extreme#p868863

Hope it helps.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 69
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2012, 07:28
Bunuel wrote:
mehdiov wrote:
If |x|<x^2 , which of the following must be true?

I. x^2>1
II. x>0
III. x<-1

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

what is the fastest way to solbe it ?


Given: \(|x|<x^2\) --> reduce by \(|x|\) (side note: we can safely do this as absolute value is non-negative and in this case we know it's not zero too, as if x would be zero inequality wouldn't hold true, so \(|x|>0\)) --> \(1<|x|\) --> \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).

So we have that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).


I. x^2>1 --> always true;
II. x>0 --> may or may not be true;
III. x<-1 --> --> may or may not be true.

Answer: A (I only).


Bunuel |x|.|x|=x^2 so when we divide x^2 by |x| we get |x|

so |x|.|x|= x^2 is this a formula
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2012, 08:00
Joy111 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mehdiov wrote:
If |x|<x^2 , which of the following must be true?

I. x^2>1
II. x>0
III. x<-1

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

what is the fastest way to solbe it ?


Given: \(|x|<x^2\) --> reduce by \(|x|\) (side note: we can safely do this as absolute value is non-negative and in this case we know it's not zero too, as if x would be zero inequality wouldn't hold true, so \(|x|>0\)) --> \(1<|x|\) --> \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).

So we have that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\).


I. x^2>1 --> always true;
II. x>0 --> may or may not be true;
III. x<-1 --> --> may or may not be true.

Answer: A (I only).


Bunuel |x|.|x|=x^2 so when we divide x^2 by |x| we get |x|

so |x|.|x|= x^2 is this a formula


Yes, |x|*|x|=x^2. Consider x=-2 then |x|*|x|=2*2=4=(-2)^2.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 89
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 04:10
Hi Bunuel, I understood your logic that we can safely divide by |x|, however, I tried to solve it this way, just wanted to confirm is this is also right...

x2>|x| => if x is positive then x2-x>0 => x(x-1)>0 => x<0 and x>1................case 1

and if x is negative, then x2+x>0 => x(x+1)>0 =>x<-1 and x>0...case2

From case 1 and case2....x<-1 and x>1..[Same conclusion but lengthier method].. I want to especially confirm because I tried to apply modulus and inequalities theory.. so want to be sure.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 05:09
3
2
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Bunuel, I understood your logic that we can safely divide by |x|, however, I tried to solve it this way, just wanted to confirm is this is also right...

x2>|x| => if x is positive then x2-x>0 => x(x-1)>0 => x<0 and x>1................case 1

and if x is negative, then x2+x>0 => x(x+1)>0 =>x<-1 and x>0...case2

From case 1 and case2....x<-1 and x>1..[Same conclusion but lengthier method].. I want to especially confirm because I tried to apply modulus and inequalities theory.. so want to be sure.


x^2>|x|

If x>0 then x2-x>0 --> x(x-1)>0 --> x<0 and x>1. Since we are considering x>0 range then x>1;
If x<0 then x2-x>0 --> x(x+1)>0 --> x<-1 and x>0. Since we are considering x<0 range then x<-1;

So, x^2>|x| holds true for x<-1 and x>1.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 248
Location: India
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2012, 11:09
1
picked A in 46 secs. for |X| to be less than x^2 just means that it is x is not a decimal. it can be less than -1 and greater than 1. you can only say this in totality with certainty. And square of nay no less than -1 and greater than 1 will be greater than 1. so A
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 248
Location: India
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2012, 20:16
1
vikram 4689 what x <-1 says is that x can ONLY hold values of less than -1. Which actually means that x cannot have values of 2,3.. etc. this we all know is not true as x can also takes values of >1. Hence this statement cannot hold true. makes sense?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2012, 01:01
vikram4689 wrote:
Bunuel,
Doesn't the question mean - which of the values of x must hold for |X|<X^2
all values of x<-1 satisfy , although there are other solutions(x>1) but E does not say those solution do not exist. In fact if a superset of values are true then subset of values must be true...

where am mis-interpreting


No, that's not true.

Again: \(|x|<x^2\) is given as a fact and then we asked to determine which of the following statements MUST be true.

\(|x|<x^2\) means that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\). Now, evaluate each option:

I. x^2>1. Since \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\) then this option is always true;
II. x>0. Since \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\) then this option may or may not be true;
III. x<-1. Since \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\) then this option may or may not be true.

Answer: A (I only).
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 89
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2012, 23:53
Hi Bunuel, I tried to solve it this way, please let me know if this is correct as I am getting confused with the final wording of MUST be true. I am kind of stuck at the final stages to make the decision.

The problem mentions: |x|<x2

Case 1: if x is +ve; then x<x2, given that we do not know if x=0, then x-x2<0 ==> x(1-x)<0 ==> multiplying by negative sign; x(x-1)>0...which means x<0 and X>1

Case 2: if x is -ve; then -x<x2, then -x-x2<0 ===>-(x+x2) <0...==> x(1+x)>0 ===> x<-1 and x>0

From C1 AND C2..on the number x<-1 and x>1; after this I am a little lost, how to make the final call.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 65187
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 01:59
2
pavanpuneet wrote:
Hi Bunuel, I tried to solve it this way, please let me know if this is correct as I am getting confused with the final wording of MUST be true. I am kind of stuck at the final stages to make the decision.

The problem mentions: |x|<x2

Case 1: if x is +ve; then x<x2, given that we do not know if x=0, then x-x2<0 ==> x(1-x)<0 ==> multiplying by negative sign; x(x-1)>0...which means x<0 and X>1

Case 2: if x is -ve; then -x<x2, then -x-x2<0 ===>-(x+x2) <0...==> x(1+x)>0 ===> x<-1 and x>0

From C1 AND C2..on the number x<-1 and x>1; after this I am a little lost, how to make the final call.


First of all please study these posts:
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506.html#p767256
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506.html#p767264
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506.html#p767437
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506.html#p776341
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506.html#p1088622
if-x-x-2-which-of-the-following-must-be-true-99506-20.html#p1089273

Because the question you ask was answered before.

Anyway, given that \(|x|<x^2\), which means that \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\). Next we are given three options and are asked which of the following MUST be true.

I. x^2>1. Since \(x<-1\) or \(x>1\) then this option is always true (ANY number less than -1 or more than 1 when squared will be more than 1);
II. x>0. This option is NOT always true, for example x could be -2 and in this case x>0 won't not true;
III. x<-1. This option is also NOT always true, for example x could be 2 and in this case x<-1 won't not true.

So, we have that only option I is always true.

Answer: A (I only).

Check our Must or Could be True Questions to practice more: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=193

Hope it helps.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2012, 01:59

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

If |x| < x^2, which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne