Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Improving score - 410 q21 v24 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mrcentauri,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so by trying to 'cram' your studies into such a short amount of time, you wouldn't have been able to properly master any of the content or Tactics needed to score at a high level. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

My goal score is 720
I was hoping make it for Round 3/4 at LBS, Judge Cambridge, Oxford and Warwick in the UK.
I can do 1-2 hours a day and I can dedicate my entire weekends (7-8 hours per day).

Is this feasible in the short space of time to increase by approx 300 points?

I completely ignored integrated reasoning, I was guessing at one point 5 questions in a row as I wanted to focus more on CR/SC which is where I feel I am stronger.
I am an Engineer but ironically I achieved Q21 compared to V24.

I think where I struggled in the Quant was the underlying concepts retaining that knowledge and application of the knowledge. Word problems are one of my biggest hurdles as in translating from English to actual algebra.

I am not even sure where to begin.

It took me around approximately 3-4 months to complete Manhattan Foundation Maths, The verbal I couldn't grasp so I trusted my native instinct. Generally I do well on CR and SC but my IR is usually very poor (hence why I skipped all questions and guessed so I could focus on the others).

I crammed Manhattan GMAT FDP, Algebra, Word Problems, Geometry and Number Properties in around one and a half week.
I did some Veritas Drills (I have all the books) and I did get most wrong. I thought the review after each question would have helped but it clearly didn't. My approach may have been completely wrong. I did some e-GMAT Verbal SC but I should have used the actual course a lot more.

The Kaplan books very bulky but I never seem to understand them for the most part. I find some of the language used contradictory (or so it seems) relative to the questions being asked.

So here I am trying to figure out a solution.

Is 3 months a reasonable timescale? What should my next steps be? I've been up over 15 hours now and my exam was around 6 hours ago. My sleep has been poor too, so perhaps that was part of the problem?

I think I tried to chew more than I could eat.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
A GMAT score, especially one from a test taken after just 2 weeks of prep, should not be the reason you decide not to do an MBA.

Unless you are close to or are looking for an extremely high (700+) score, I suggest you pick up any one of the sources you mentioned and get started with it. Give yourself enough time to work through the standard study plan provided to you by your test prep company. Once your fundamentals are in place, both you and other members here will be in a better position to give you more specific advice.

Oh, I guess that was a bit shortsighted of me. Sorry I've had very little sleep over the last couple of weeks and feel very drained so I can't think clearly right now.
I am aiming for 700+ and my GPA is the equivalent of 3.8. I'm 33 years old now so the last time I studied for any of these topics was around 17 years ago.

Any suggestions on where I should start?
I just posted a response, not sure if you have seen it yet but I have Kaplan, Manhattan, eGMAT and VeritasPrep.

I mainly crammed with Manhattan but did Veritas Drills (alot of which I struggled on first time around).

Maybe I have too much material?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,
You can go through the post of bb about study plan here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html?fl=menu

Then you can draft out your own schedule.
Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mrcentauri,

To start, it's worth noting that the 720+ score is approximately the 90th percentile - meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times they take the GMAT). Since you haven't put in much quality study time, there's no way to know what your "peak score" is, but I would bet that it's considerably higher than this 410. You might need 3 months to get to that 'level', but you might need longer. We've worked with Test Takers who have increased their scores over 300 points, but they all committed to learning and practicing the proper Tactics and they stuck to a consistent study plan (over the course of 3-4 months). This is meant to say that the goal to improve that much in just a couple of week is almost certainly too difficult to be considered realistic.

I think that you should take a day or two 'off' and get some sleep. Regardless of how you continue to study, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrcentauri wrote:
Oh, I guess that was a bit shortsighted of me. Sorry I've had very little sleep over the last couple of weeks and feel very drained so I can't think clearly right now.
I am aiming for 700+ and my GPA is the equivalent of 3.8. I'm 33 years old now so the last time I studied for any of these topics was around 17 years ago.

Any suggestions on where I should start?
I just posted a response, not sure if you have seen it yet but I have Kaplan, Manhattan, eGMAT and VeritasPrep.

I mainly crammed with Manhattan but did Veritas Drills (alot of which I struggled on first time around).

Maybe I have too much material?
For a 700+ score, you still need to ensure that your fundamentals are in place. Assuming that you got a 400-500 score, I think we need to just get started. That's why I suggested you pick up any one of the sources you mentioned and just get going. And yes, you don't need to do all the material you have. Pick one source and take a call on the rest after you've mastered the basics. Also, you can reach out to (for example) Manhattan or Veritas and ask them for their study plans. Have a word with their instructors if that is included in your course.

As for your MBA plans, ask one of the consultants here about your chances in R3/R4. Most importantly, give yourself enough time to perform to your potential.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Improving score - 410 q21 v24 [#permalink]
I just wanted to put this out there, I am not sure if this is accurate in anyway or not.
I did a CAT with Kaplan Higher Score GMAT Software.

I scored 490 this time with V34 and Q23 (still pretty poor).

I've attached the analysis and results for your reference.
What are your thoughts based upon this?

I completely skipped the reading comprehension section with random answers (that may have skewed my score).

Thank you.
Attachments

CAT_analysis.jpg
CAT_analysis.jpg [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 1022 times ]

CAT_results.jpg
CAT_results.jpg [ 25.12 KiB | Viewed 1039 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
mrcentauri wrote:
I just wanted to put this out there, I am not sure if this is accurate in anyway or not.
I did a CAT with Kaplan Higher Score GMAT Software.

I scored 490 this time with V34 and Q23 (still pretty poor).

I've attached the analysis and results for your reference.
What are your thoughts based upon this?

I completely skipped the reading comprehension section with random answers (that may have skewed my score).

Thank you.
The verbal score looks quite promising, but you really should take a GMATPrep test to check. There are 2 free and 4 paid tests. There's no need to rush into this: take some time out to get your energy back of you need to.
GMAT Club Bot