Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 19:31 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 19:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Level,   Short Passage,   Social Science,                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [3]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
In a 1918 editorial, W.E.B. Du Bois advised African Americans to stop [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja KarishmaB AndrewN
Please help me Experts

Can you please explain Q.5 in detail? Also what "in part" means in the E option?

I have already gone through all comments but didn't get a thorough explanation of Q.5.

By the way below is my reasoning for Q.5? Please Please check this also
A) We don't know What Du Bois had consistently rejected in the past hence wrong
B) Passage doesn't mention the views of trotter hence we can't conclude from this option. Wrong
C) Passage doesn't mention the long terms goals of Du Bois explicitly hence wrong
D) I marked this correct (Reason: After seeing the discrimination, he suggested that strategy i.e. to proclaim their solidarity with White Americans for the duration of the First World War. )
E) I marked this wrong because I thought advocate means suggest hence option is saying: Strategy was suggested by Du Bois in part, which means some part of the strategy is suggested by Du Bois but that's not the case full strategy is suggested by Du bois hence wrong

Thank You
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [1]

Send PM
Re: In a 1918 editorial, W.E.B. Du Bois advised African Americans to stop [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 5

a123bansal wrote:
Please help me Experts

Can you please explain Q.5 in detail? Also what "in part" means in the E option?

I have already gone through all comments but didn't get a thorough explanation of Q.5.

B) Passage doesn't mention the views of trotter hence we can't conclude from this option. Wrong
C) Passage doesn't mention the long terms goals of Du Bois explicitly hence wrong
D) I marked this correct (Reason: After seeing the discrimination, he suggested that strategy i.e. to proclaim their solidarity with White Americans for the duration of the First World War. )
E) I marked this wrong because I thought advocate means suggest hence option is saying: Strategy was suggested by Du Bois in part, which means some part of the strategy is suggested by Du Bois but that's not the case full strategy is suggested by Du bois hence wrong

Thank You

Question 5 asks about "the strategy that Du Bois's 1918 editorial urged African Americans to adopt during the First World War."

That strategy was to "stop agitating for equality and to proclaim [...] solidarity with White Americans."

Why did Du Bois argue for this strategy? We learn of two reasons in the second paragraph:

1) "government officials had threatened African American journalists with censorship if they continued to voice grievances."
    2) "Du Bois believed that African Americans’ contributions to past war efforts had brought them some legal and political advances."

Here's (D):
Quote:
D. It was advocated by Du Bois in response to his recognition of the discrimination faced by African Americans during the war.

Discrimination is mentioned in the last sentence of the passage, and it actually led Du Bois to reverse his 1918 position. When he learned that African Americans faced discrimination in the military, he went back to a more confrontational approach.

So, Du Bois definitely didn't come up with his 1918 strategy in response to discrimination. This discrimination actually led to the END of the 1918 strategy.

(D) is out for question 5.

Here's (E):
Quote:
E. It was advocated by Du Bois in part because of his historical knowledge of gains African Americans had made during past wars.

This fits nicely with the second reason listed above! Du Bois "believed that African Americans’ contributions to past war efforts had brought them some legal and political advances."

The "in part" doesn't mean that it only accounts for part of the strategy. It just means that it's not the only reason that Du Bois had to advocate for the strategy.

The other reason is the first one listed above: "government officials had threatened African American journalists with censorship if they continued to voice grievances." So, the "in part" bit fits with the info in the passage.

(E) is the correct answer to question 5.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Re: In a 1918 editorial, W.E.B. Du Bois advised African Americans to stop [#permalink]
Can someone explain Q.2? Option c 2nd part is confusing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMATNinja karishma B Can you please help to clarify what is the problem in option A in
Q2. The passage indicates which of the following about Du Bois's attitude toward Washington ?

A. It underwent a shift during the First World War as Du Bois became more sympathetic with Trotter's views.

B. It underwent a shift in 1903 for reasons other than Du Bois's disagreement with Washington's accommodationist views.

C. It underwent a shift as Du Bois made a long-term commitment to the strategy of accommodation.

D. It remained consistently positive even though Du Bois disagreed with Washington's efforts to control the African American press.

E. It was shaped primarily by Du Bois's appreciation of Washington's pragmatic approach to the advancement of the interests of African Americans.

The question asks about DB 's atitude towards Washington . With POE I could eliminate C, D ,E but stuck between A nd B . I feel option A is very close to option B . Option A states that DB's attitude underwent a shift as DB became sympathetic towards Trotters's views viz. DB agreed to Trotter's point that Washington is trying to silence African Americans. I don't understand how can I eliminate A and confidently go for option B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 2

JulieLama wrote:
url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja]GMATNinja[/url] url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=karishma]karishma[/url] B Can you please help to clarify what is the problem in option A in
Q2. The passage indicates which of the following about Du Bois's attitude toward Washington ?

A. It underwent a shift during the First World War as Du Bois became more sympathetic with Trotter's views.

B. It underwent a shift in 1903 for reasons other than Du Bois's disagreement with Washington's accommodationist views.

C. It underwent a shift as Du Bois made a long-term commitment to the strategy of accommodation.

D. It remained consistently positive even though Du Bois disagreed with Washington's efforts to control the African American press.

E. It was shaped primarily by Du Bois's appreciation of Washington's pragmatic approach to the advancement of the interests of African Americans.

The question asks about DB 's atitude towards Washington . With POE I could eliminate C, D ,E but stuck between A nd B . I feel option A is very close to option B . Option A states that DB's attitude underwent a shift as DB became sympathetic towards Trotters's views viz. DB agreed to Trotter's point that Washington is trying to silence African Americans. I don't understand how can I eliminate A and confidently go for option B.

There are some major differences between answer choices (A) and (B) for question 2.

Answer choice (A) talks about a shift during WWI, when DuBois wrote his 1918 editorial. (B), on the other hand, talks about a shift in 1903.

We can eliminate (A) because DuBois didn't become more sympathetic to Trotter's views during WWI. DuBois aligned himself with Trotter in 1903 in order to stand up against Booker's censorship. During WWI DuBois actually shifted away from Trotter's point of view to a more accommodationist stance.

(A) is out for question 2.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMATNinja Thanks for the reply . Now I can understand the difference between Option A and B but still wanted to confirm the part where you have mentioned " During WWI DuBois actually shifted away from Trotter's point of view to a more accommodationist stance" . Let me summarize what I understood on reading the passage .

-> DB often shifted positions between accommodationist and confrontationist views . So in 1903 i.e prior to WW1 he aligned with Trotter 's views (confrontationist ) because trotter had described to him about Washington's efforts to silence Africans etc.
-> Again in 1918 that is when he wrote the editorial he advised to stop agitating for equality and to proclaim their solidarity for WW1. This is accomodationist view (as this view aligns with that of Washington's) .
-> But this accommodationist view did not last long as he learnt about the systematic discrimination experienced by Africans . So in 1918 he aligned with accommodationist and sometime later in the same year he called those Africans back from fight ? Is my understanding correct ? In 1918 he shifted his views twice . So in 1918 i.e during the WW1 even though he shifted away from Trotter's views to accommodationst stance , he could not stick to it .

Please let me know if I have any gap in my understanding . Thanks in advance !
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JulieLama wrote:
url=[https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja]GMATNinja[/url] Thanks for the reply . Now I can understand the difference between Option A and B but still wanted to confirm the part where you have mentioned " During WWI DuBois actually shifted away from Trotter's point of view to a more accommodationist stance" . Let me summarize what I understood on reading the passage .

-> DB often shifted positions between accommodationist and confrontationist views . So in 1903 i.e prior to WW1 he aligned with Trotter 's views (confrontationist ) because trotter had described to him about Washington's efforts to silence Africans etc.
-> Again in 1918 that is when he wrote the editorial he advised to stop agitating for equality and to proclaim their solidarity for WW1. This is accomodationist view (as this view aligns with that of Washington's) .
-> But this accommodationist view did not last long as he learnt about the systematic discrimination experienced by Africans . So in 1918 he aligned with accommodationist and sometime later in the same year he called those Africans back from fight ? Is my understanding correct ? In 1918 he shifted his views twice . So in 1918 i.e during the WW1 even though he shifted away from Trotter's views to accommodationst stance , he could not stick to it .

Please let me know if I have any gap in my understanding . Thanks in advance !

Overall, that's a pretty good summary -- DuBois switched his stance several times.

One note is that he didn't exactly "call those African [Americans] back from the fight." Instead, the passage tells us that he "called on them to 'return fighting' from the war." This means that he wanted soldiers, upon their return at the end of WWI, to engage in the fight against discrimination in the United States.

DuBois didn't have any power to actually bring anyone home -- he just wanted soldiers who were already on their way home to join him in his continued fight against discrimination.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
Can someone explain Q5 - B option ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 5

nikitathegreat wrote:
Can someone explain Q5 - B option ?

Question 5 asks about "the strategy that Du Bois's 1918 editorial urged African Americans to adopt during the First World War."

That strategy was to "stop agitating for equality and to proclaim [...] solidarity with White Americans."

Why did Du Bois argue for this strategy? We learn of two reasons in the second paragraph:

"government officials had threatened African American journalists with censorship if they continued to voice grievances."

"Du Bois believed that African Americans’ contributions to past war efforts had brought them some legal and political advances."

Here's (B):

Quote:
B. It represented a compromise between Du Bois's own views and those of Trotter.

A "compromise" is a middle ground between two opposing views. One problem with this is that DuBois didn't have a consistent view -- his views changed with circumstances. So, we can't really say that there were two opposing views to begin with.

Additionally, DuBois's strategy to "stop agitating for equality" definitely did NOT meet Trotter halfway. Trotter was a "confrontationist" who would entirely oppose Du Bois's strategy.

For these reasons, (B) is out for question 5.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5901
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 5

a123bansal wrote:
Please help me Experts

Thank You

1) "government officials had threatened African American journalists with censorship if they continued to voice grievances."
    2) "Du Bois believed that African Americans’ contributions to past war efforts had brought them some legal and political advances."

Here's (D):
Quote:
D. It was advocated by Du Bois in response to his recognition of the discrimination faced by African Americans during the war.

Discrimination is mentioned in the last sentence of the passage, and it actually led Du Bois to reverse his 1918 position. When he learned that African Americans faced discrimination in the military, he went back to a more confrontational approach.

So, Du Bois definitely didn't come up with his 1918 strategy in response to discrimination. This discrimination actually led to the END of the 1918 strategy.

(D) is out for question 5.

Here's (E):
Quote:
E. It was advocated by Du Bois in part because of his historical knowledge of gains African Americans had made during past wars.

This fits nicely with the second reason listed above! Du Bois "believed that African Americans’ contributions to past war efforts had brought them some legal and political advances."

The "in part" doesn't mean that it only accounts for part of the strategy. It just means that it's not the only reason that Du Bois had to advocate for the strategy.

The other reason is the first one listed above: "government officials had threatened African American journalists with censorship if they continued to voice grievances." So, the "in part" bit fits with the info in the passage.

(E) is the correct answer to question 5.

I hope that helps!

Great explanation GMATNinja
One question regarding below line, last sentence in the paragraph stated he called on them to “return fighting” from the war. Isn't this response to 1918 strategy as a result of discrimination? So not sure how it led to the end of 1918 strategy? Could you help clarify? Thanks

GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kimberly77 wrote:
Great explanation [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D
One question regarding below line, last sentence in the paragraph stated he called on them to “return fighting” from the war. Isn't this response to 1918 strategy as a result of discrimination? So not sure how it led to the end of 1918 strategy? Could you help clarify? Thanks

Good question! You're right.

But the line you referenced at the end of the last paragraph isn't what we're asked about in Q5. The question refers to the stance Du Bois expressed in his 1918 editorial, namely, "to stop agitating for equality and to proclaim their solidarity with White Americans for the duration of the First World War." So in the editorial, he's advocating solidarity.

In the last paragraph, we get the line "Du Bois’s accommodationism did not last, however." So this appears to be an evolution in his thinking that occurred sometime after the editorial. Put another way, he was an advocate of accommodation in his editorial, but later, after hearing about all the discrimination Black soldier endured in the wary, he changed his position. Because we're asked specifically about his position in the editorial, this change isn't relevant in the question.

All to say: you're right about the sequence of events. They just don't impact the answer to this question.

I hope that clears things up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Kimberly77 wrote:
Great explanation [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D

But the line you referenced at the end of the last paragraph isn't what we're asked about in Q5. The question refers to the stance Du Bois expressed in his 1918 editorial, namely, "to stop agitating for equality and to proclaim their solidarity with White Americans for the duration of the First World War." So in the editorial, he's advocating solidarity.

In the last paragraph, we get the line "Du Bois’s accommodationism did not last, however." So this appears to be an evolution in his thinking that occurred sometime after the editorial. Put another way, he was an advocate of accommodation in his editorial, but later, after hearing about all the discrimination Black soldier endured in the wary, he changed his position. Because we're asked specifically about his position in the editorial, this change isn't relevant in the question.

All to say: you're right about the sequence of events. They just don't impact the answer to this question.

Thanks for your clarification GMATNinja :please:
To clarify my understanding, so first Du Bois advocating solidarity but upon learning discrimination on AA, he changed his position and asked AA to return fighting?

This is a very tough and tricky question indeed.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Kimberly77 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Kimberly77 wrote:

Thanks for your clarification [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D :please:
To clarify my understanding, so first Du Bois advocating solidarity but upon learning discrimination on AA, he changed his position and asked AA to return fighting?

This is a very tough and tricky question indeed.

Yes, that's exactly right! Super tricky, but you've got it now. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Will not be if not without your great explanation GMATNinja
Thanks again !!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts