GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Mar 2018
Posts: 183
Premium Member
In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 07:13
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:58) correct 58% (01:36) wrong based on 38 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car. What percent of the residents own neither a house nor a car?

(1) Each resident who owns a house also owns a car but the vice-versa is not true

(2) 30 percent of the residents own a house

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1338
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 11:09
itisSheldon wrote:
In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car. What percent of the residents own neither a house nor a car?

(1) Each resident who owns a house also owns a car but the vice-versa is not true

(2) 30 percent of the residents own a house


Statement 1
Each resident who owns a house also owns a car, that means those 'who own a house' are a subset of 'those who own a car'. Now those who own a car are 40%, and the ones with house are a subset of and less than 40%.
This means residents who lie outside this set of 40% (meaning those who dont have a car) will be our answer, because those who dont have a car cannot have a house also.
So percentage of residents who own neither a house nor a car = 100 - 40% = 60%.
Sufficient.

Statement 2
40% own a car, and 30% own a house. But we dont know how many own both a car and a house. So we will not be able to calculate those who own neither a car nor a house. Not sufficient.

Hence A answer
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 32
Premium Member
In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 15:00
can someone explain with the table method? not able to solve it
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1338
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 22:48
1
ezzo wrote:
can someone explain with the table method? not able to solve it


Hi

I have tried to explain by means of circular Venn diagram in the attached pic.

Statement 1
Since those who own a house also own a car, 'those who own house' are a subset of 'those who own car', thus 'those who own house' circle is inside the circle of 'those who own car'. So if 40% own car, that means outside the 'those who own car' circle, the remaining 60% people have no car and no house either. Sufficient.

Statement 2
We dont know how many own both car and house, and we also dont know whether one of these ('those who own car' and 'those who own house') is a subset of other or not. So we cannot deduce how many have neither a house nor a car. Not sufficient.
Attachments

IMG_20180306_110908_2.jpg
IMG_20180306_110908_2.jpg [ 49.71 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 32
Premium Member
Re: In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 10:12
Thanks. the venn diagram just made the things very much clear.

amanvermagmat wrote:
ezzo wrote:
can someone explain with the table method? not able to solve it


Hi

I have tried to explain by means of circular Venn diagram in the attached pic.

Statement 1
Since those who own a house also own a car, 'those who own house' are a subset of 'those who own car', thus 'those who own house' circle is inside the circle of 'those who own car'. So if 40% own car, that means outside the 'those who own car' circle, the remaining 60% people have no car and no house either. Sufficient.

Statement 2
We dont know how many own both car and house, and we also dont know whether one of these ('those who own car' and 'those who own house') is a subset of other or not. So we cannot deduce how many have neither a house nor a car. Not sufficient.


--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Re: In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car. &nbs [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 10:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a certain town, 40 percent of the residents own a car.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.