Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5588 [4]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1994 [2]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5588 [2]
Send PM
In a group of 5 students, some study French [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi souvonik2k, you have answered the question correctly kudos to you.
This question is based on a basic logic ,
I will describe my logic here.
We do not know the number of students studying French or how many of them study German, so it is not possible to find the number of favorable events that one of the students is French student, and other is German student. But we can always say for sure that the number of favorable events will be a positive integer.
Now the total number of events will be 5C2 = 5!/(3!2!) = 10.
Hence required probability = positive integer/ 10
which always gives a single decimal or an integer. So from the options given, only C has a single decimal, other choices have two decimal.
Hence, Clearly, C is the answer.

This concept will be very useful for the complex probability questions, If we know that denominator is 10, then probability can not have 2 digit decimal answer, or so on. No need to calculate the number of cases which is a very tiresome process for some complex problems.

souvonik2k, Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma , Now tell me is the question a good one for GMAT?

(PS - I saw a concept video for probability by some GMAT prep, which inspires me to make this question.)

Please give kudos :thumbup: , if you like my post
I believe in learning by doing... I will be posting questions based on the basic concepts, but tricky though :cool: :grin:

souvonik2k wrote:

Janvisahu wrote:
In a group of 5 students, some study French, some study German, some study both. Two students are selected to be sent for a technical presentation having delegates from France as well as Germany. Find the probability that lectures given by French as well as German delegates would be understood by the team of two students.
A)0.42
B)0.45
C)0.60
D)0.72
E)0.75

Source: Self-made

This can be solved only by back-solving.
Since 2 students to be selected who understand both French and German, minimum students who know both languages must be 2 otherwise probability would be zero, which is not in the options.
Prob that 2 students know both languages = 1/5 = 0.2 not an option.
Consider 3 students know both languages, prob =3/5 = 0.6.
Option C
Consider 4 students know both languages, prob =4/5 = 0.8, not an option.
Hence answer C.
However, this is not a GMAT type question.

Originally posted by GMATBusters on 01 Dec 2017, 17:49.
Last edited by GMATBusters on 01 Dec 2017, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32024 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: In a group of 5 students, some study French [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Janvisahu wrote:
In a group of 5 students, some study French, some study German, some study both. Two students are selected to be sent for a technical presentation having delegates from France as well as Germany. Find the probability that lectures given by French as well as German delegates would be understood by the team of two students.
A)0.42
B)0.45
C)0.60
D)0.72
E)0.75

Hi...

A Question should be solvable, it may be that the choices are helpful at times.
But if we are looking at a question that has no solution and is totally dependent on the choices, then the Question has a big question mark '?' on it.
When you say " what is the probability...?", It means the question has ONE answer, but in this case there could be different answers
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5588 [1]
Send PM
In a group of 5 students, some study French [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Sir
I agree with you, but in many GMAT questions, we get more than one answer and we do mark the options provided by the question.
I have edited the question by " what could be the probability " :thumbup:

Actually, my purpose of posting the question was to put emphasis on the concept, "This concept will be very useful for the complex probability questions, If we know that denominator is 10, then probability can not have 2 digit decimal answer, or so on. No need to calculate the number of cases which is a very tiresome process for some complex problems."

If you like my post, appreciate it by providing kudos...

chetan2u wrote:
Janvisahu wrote:
A)0.42
B)0.45
C)0.60
D)0.72
E)0.75

Hi...

A Question should be solvable, it may be that the choices are helpful at times.
But if we are looking at a question that has no solution and is totally dependent on the choices, then the Question has a big question mark '?' on it.
When you say " what is the probability...?", It means the question has ONE answer, but in this case there could be different answers
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts