Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:00 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644236 [60]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30869 [21]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66912 [17]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4256 [5]
Given Kudos: 243
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: In a rectangular coordinate system, straight line k passes through poi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In a rectangular coordinate system, straight line k passes through points (0, 0) and (3, 2). Which of the following are coordinates of a point on k ?

A. (9, 4)
B. (4, 9)
C. (–4, 6)
D. (–6, –9)
E. (–6, –4)

PS48502.01
Quantitative Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

slope of line ; 2/3
for each given option IMO E has slope = 2/3 it means that it lies on the same line
IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [4]
Given Kudos: 1104
Send PM
Re: In a rectangular coordinate system, straight line k passes through poi [#permalink]
Kudos
Okay here is my approach:

Most of the time with coordinate questions, when you see two points given, you most likely will need to calculate the slope.

Slope of line = (Y1-Y2)/(X1-X2)

Point 1: (0,0) therefore X1= 0, Y1 = 0

Point 2: (3,2) therefore X2=3, Y2=3

Plug into slope formula: (2-0)/3-0) = 2/3

Now that we know the slope, the next step is to incorporate the slope into a y =mx + c format.

So we get: y=(2/3)x + c

If we take any of the points i.e. point 1 or 3 and plug it into y=(2/3) + c you get that the c = 0. So the equation of the line is y=(2/3)x

Now looking at the answer options, plug in each answer options into y=(2/3)(x). The goal is to see if both side of equations equal each other. That would be the answer.

When substituting answer options, I've read and learned that you should start with option C, which is what I did. Substituting the answer choices into y=2/3x is relatively quick. You will fine that the answer is E i.e. :

y=(2/3)x

Point given: (-6, -4). Substitute this into the equation:

-4 = (2/3) (-6)

-4 = -4

Answer: E

Tips to remember:
Always find slope when two points are given
When substituting answer choice, start with C and work your way up or down from there. It is said that if you do that, there's a higher chance that you can find the answer quickly and save time (but this is of course, not always the case). Also, I read somewhere that if the answer ask "which is the following ...." in the question, then the answer is most likely D or E. I don't know how true this is (and I don't think it is always right) but we need all the strategy we can get right ? Give it a shot if you are running out of time!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In a rectangular coordinate system, straight line k passes through points (0, 0) and (3, 2). Which of the following are coordinates of a point on k ?

A. (9, 4)
B. (4, 9)
C. (–4, 6)
D. (–6, –9)
E. (–6, –4)

PS48502.01

(y-0)/(x-0) = (2-0)/(3-0)

3y = 2x, only E. (–6, –4) satisfies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. (9, 4)
B. (4, 9)
C. (–4, 6)
D. (–6, –9)
E. (–6, –4)

PS48502.01

Key concept: If a point lies ON a line, then the coordinates of that point must SATISFY the equation of that line.

So, let's first find the equation of the line.
Slope = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1) = (2 - 0)/(3 - 0) = 2/3
The y-intercept = 0

So, the equation of the line, in slope y-intercept form, is: y = (2/3)x + 0 or just y = 2x/3

Now check each answer choice to see which coordinates satisfy the equation y = 2x/3

A. (9, 4)
Plug values into y = 2x/3 to get: 4 = (2)(9)/3
Simplify: 9 = 6
Doesn't work.
ELIMINATE A

B. (4, 9)
Plug values into y = 2x/3 to get: 9 = (2)(4)/3
Simplify: 9 = 8/3
Doesn't work.
ELIMINATE B

C. (–4, 6)
Plug values into y = 2x/3 to get: 6 = (2)(-4)/3
Simplify: 6 = -8/3
Doesn't work.
ELIMINATE C

D. (–6, –9)
Plug values into y = 2x/3 to get: -9 = (2)(-6)/3
Simplify: -9 = -4
Doesn't work.
ELIMINATE D

E. (–6, –4)
Plug values into y = 2x/3 to get: -6 = (2)(-4)/3
Simplify: -6 = -6
WORKS!!

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent

hi brent, can you please advise how to choose C=o, or what is the theory to find C/ y intercept in case of 2 points given,
I solved this question by 3x=2y theory, but i wan to know how we solve by line theory
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30869 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rishab0507 wrote:

hi brent, can you please advise how to choose C=o, or what is the theory to find C/ y intercept in case of 2 points given,
I solved this question by 3x=2y theory, but i wan to know how we solve by line theory

You might want to review the slope y-intercept format of expression equations of lines. I'd say the GMAT test-makers are partial to that format.
That is, y = mx + b, where m = the slope and b = the y-intercept.

Since we're told line k passes through the point (0,0), we can see that line k "intercepts" the y-axis at y = 0.
This is how we know the y-intercept is 0

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Someone please draw the co ordinate figure

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
rishab0507 wrote:

You might want to review the slope y-intercept format of expression equations of lines. I'd say the GMAT test-makers are partial to that format.
That is, y = mx + b, where m = the slope and b = the y-intercept.

Since we're told line k passes through the point (0,0), we can see that line k "intercepts" the y-axis at y = 0.
This is how we know the y-intercept is 0

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

but there are 2 points given, for point (3,2), the y int will be 2?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22732 [5]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Kudos