Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [20]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9248 [9]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Send PM
Re: In hexagon ABCDEF, AB=3, BC=4, CD=5, DE=6 and AF=7 [#permalink]
Kudos
IanStewart wrote:
This is more or less a copy of an OG question, except this question features a hexagon instead of a pentagon.

If you have five lengths 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, then even if you lay them in a straight line, you only get a length of 3+4+5+6+7 = 25. So you can't piece them together with a line of length 25 to make a hexagon -- they're too short to reach both ends if you need to have angles between them. You can imagine taking five toothpicks and trying to make a hexagon using them and a meter-long ruler. The toothpicks won't be long enough to extend from one end of the ruler to the other.

In general, for it to be possible to fit six lengths together to make a hexagon, the sum of any five of those lengths will need to strictly exceed the sixth. That is, you can extend the concept behind the triangle inequalities to shapes with any number of sides. In this question, any length 25 or greater would be impossible, and any length less than 25 would work.

Hello IanStewart

That was a brilliant explanation
Thank you so much

Can you help to resolve my query about the minimum length in this case?
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2770 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
ProfChaos wrote:
Hello, chetan2u, VeritasKarishma, Bunuel, yashikaaggarwal, generis, egmat

Kindly help me with this question
It is from e-GMAT SigmaX free mock test

Concept:
The sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is always greater than the length of the third side
The difference between the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is always less than the length of the third side

As per the explanation provided,
Lines BD, BE, and AE were joined

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDE, 5<BE<15
In triangle BEA, 2<AE<18
In triangle AEF, 5<EF<25

When I was trying to solve this one,
I joined lines BD, AD and DF

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDA, 2<AD<12
In triangle ADF, 5<DF<19
In triangle DEF, 1<EF<25

In second attempt I joined lines BD, DF and BF

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle ABF, 4<BF<10
In triangle BDF, 3<DF<19
In triangle DEF, 3<EF<25

The maximum value for EF is same in all three cases but why is the minimum value is different in each case?

Please help!

Thanks

You don't exactly need to calculate as such. If you calculate sum of rest 5 sides 3+4+5+6+7 = 25
in order for one of the side of hexagon be 25.
other lines has to form a straight line and will coincide with the line segment 25.
so 25 or more than 25 can't be the side of hexagon.
values lesser than 25 are hypothetically possible.
Hence Answer is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Send PM
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
ProfChaos wrote:
Hello, chetan2u, VeritasKarishma, Bunuel, yashikaaggarwal, generis, egmat

Kindly help me with this question
It is from e-GMAT SigmaX free mock test

Concept:
The sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is always greater than the length of the third side
The difference between the lengths of any two sides of a triangle is always less than the length of the third side

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDE, 5<BE<15
In triangle BEA, 2<AE<18
In triangle AEF, 5<EF<25

When I was trying to solve this one,
I joined lines BD, AD and DF

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDA, 2<AD<12
In triangle ADF, 5<DF<19
In triangle DEF, 1<EF<25

In second attempt I joined lines BD, DF and BF

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle ABF, 4<BF<10
In triangle BDF, 3<DF<19
In triangle DEF, 3<EF<25

The maximum value for EF is same in all three cases but why is the minimum value is different in each case?

Please help!

Thanks

You don't exactly need to calculate as such. If you calculate sum of rest 5 sides 3+4+5+6+7 = 25
in order for one of the side of hexagon be 25.
other lines has to form a straight line and will coincide with the line segment 25.
so 25 or more than 25 can't be the side of hexagon.
values lesser than 25 are hypothetically possible.
Hence Answer is C

Agreed with the maximum value part
But what if the options had a value less than 5, which as per egmat explanation would be wrong

Hence I want to understand how the minimum value needs to be calculated
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2770 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
ProfChaos wrote:

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDE, 5<BE<15
In triangle BEA, 2<AE<18
In triangle AEF, 5<EF<25

Thanks

see the highlighted part
in triangle AEF,
one side is 7 other is less than 18
so the maximum length of third side is indeed less than 7+18 = 25
but the minimum length is more than 18-7 = 11
so the constraint is
11<EF<25 not 2<EF<25.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9248 [3]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ProfChaos wrote:
Agreed with the maximum value part
But what if the options had a value less than 5, which as per egmat explanation would be wrong

Hence I want to understand how the minimum value needs to be calculated

I'm not going to read their explanation, because it's inordinately complicated, but if they're concluding there's some minimum value here, the explanation is mathematically incorrect. Any value between 0 and 25 is possible.

There sometimes could be a relevant minimum value. I'll use a quadrilateral instead of a hexagon for simplicity. If you had a quadrilateral with sides 1, 2, 5 and x, then since the sum of any three sides must exceed the fourth, we know x must be less than 1+2+5, so must be less than 8. But in this case (and this happens because the numbers are a bit far apart in this example), there is also a minimum value of x, because if we look at the three smallest sides, 1, 2 and x, their sum must exceed the fourth side of 5. So x must be greater than 2 in this case. But in your original hexagon question, there is no minimum value for the sixth side, because no matter what length it has (less than 25), the sum of any five sides will automatically be greater than the sixth side.

This concept is tested most often with triangles, incidentally, and with triangles specifically, you'll almost always need to consider both minimum and maximum values. So if you have sides of 3, 4, and y in a triangle, then y must be less than 7 (since 3+4 > y must be true), but must be greater than 1 (since 3 + y > 4 must also be true). Any value in that range is possible though.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9248 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ProfChaos wrote:

In triangle BCD, 1<BD<9
In triangle BDE, 5<BE<15
In triangle BEA, 2<AE<18
In triangle AEF, 5<EF<25

I did actually read the explanation, and it doesn't make any sense. Just looking at the last line: suppose you know that 2 < AE < 18. You also know that AF is 7. We want to know the minimum possible length for the third side EF of this triangle. The minimum is not 5, which I gather they are finding by minimizing AE (they seem to be assuming AE is slightly larger than 2). That's just logically wrong, because if you make AE longer, you can make EF smaller. If AE is 7, for example, so our triangle has sides of length 7, 7 and x, the minimum value of x is anything greater than zero. It clearly is not 5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Send PM
IanStewart

Thank you so much for your valuable insights on this question!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM