GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In terrestrial environments, gravity places special demands

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: In terrestrial environments, gravity places special demands  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 19:08
AjiteshArun did a nice job clearing up the issues on questions #4 and #6, but it looks like there's plenty of pain on question #8. So here's that one again:

Quote:
In the passage, the author is primarily concerned with doing which of the following?

(A) Explaining adaptations that enable the terrestrial snake to cope with the effects of gravitational pressure on its circulatory system
(B) Comparing the circulatory system of the sea snake with that of the terrestrial snake
(C) Explaining why the circulatory system of the terrestrial snake is different from that of the sea snake
(D) Pointing out features of the terrestrial snake's cardiovascular system that make it superior to that of the sea snake
(E) Explaining how the sea snake is able to neutralize the effects of gravitational pressure on its circulatory system

Conquistador22 wrote:
For this question, I got confused between A & C. I choose E but OA is A.

Official Guide says " The passage is more concerned with how the system of two snakes are different, rather than why, in order to identify how terrestrial snakes have adapted to gravity's influence.

But passage has below line "That many terrestrial snakes in similar spatial orientations do not experience this kind of circulatory failure suggests that certain adaptations enable them to regulate blood pressure more effectively in those orientations."

It does talk about "why"

Can some expert throw some light on this evolutionary process :!:
PS. I mean expert in RC and not expert in evolutionary process :lol: . Just kidding everyone is welcome to share their views

bpdulog wrote:
I was also down to A & C and chose C over A. I'm still not sure why C is wrong?

gmatretest wrote:
I do not understand the rationale behind the answer for Q8 (primary concern, General question).

In my opinion, both A and B are considered partial. A fails to mention sea snakes (which constitutes the whole 2nd paragraph) while B does not state gravity.
Why does OG prefer A than B, considering both are equally flawed?

As with all "primarily concerned" questions, we should establish the overall purpose of the passage. This is different from seeking an answer choice that seems to add up individual pieces of the passage. So why did the author write this thing?

• The author wrote paragraph 1 to introduce the adaptations that terrestrial snakes have made in response to the demands of gravity.
  • The author wrote paragraph 2 to explain how gravity on land leads to circulatory failure, by comparing the circulation and blood pressure of terrestrial snakes to sea snakes
  • The author wrote paragraph 3 to illustrate the specific circulation-aiding adaptations of terrestrial snakes, by describing different examples of these adaptations.

When we follow the author's purpose from paragraph to paragraph, we see that the author wrote this passage to explain how the adaptations of terrestrial snakes help those snakes circulate blood -- and consequently, survive -- in terrestrial environments.

Remember that in these question types, wrong answer choices will often distract us by stating something that's probably true, and maybe very important to the passage. That's not the same thing as stating why the author wrote the passage as a whole.

Quote:
(A) Explaining adaptations that enable the terrestrial snake to cope with the effects of gravitational pressure on its circulatory system

This looks good! It fits our understanding of the author's purpose (to explain adaptations of terrestrial snakes), and doesn't add any erroneous details regarding what that explanation says. Let's keep (A) around and review our other choices.

Quote:
(B) Comparing the circulatory system of the sea snake with that of the terrestrial snake

This is more like a description of what the author is doing in paragraph 2 (and doesn't really get at the purpose of that paragraph, either). Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Explaining why the circulatory system of the terrestrial snake is different from that of the sea snake

This is misleading. Sure, the author explains why the circulatory system differs (gravity works differently in water than on land). But when the author sat down and decided that it was necessary to write this passage, was she thinking, "I have to tell everyone why the circulatory systems of these two snakes are different"?

Not exactly. Choice (C) makes it seem like the author's main purpose is the comparison of two classes of snake. In fact, the author is primarily concerned with explaining how the terrestrial snake adapts to terrestrial gravity. The sea snake only appears as an example to show the particular demands of terrestrial gravity, and how terrestrial adaptations help terrestrial snakes meet those demands. That's why we eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Pointing out features of the terrestrial snake's cardiovascular system that make it superior to that of the sea snake

The author isn't making a judgment on which snake's cardiovascular system is better or worse than the other. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Explaining how the sea snake is able to neutralize the effects of gravitational pressure on its circulatory system

This is totally off-track. The author's focus is the terrestrial snake, and how the terrestrial snake neutralizes these effects in terrestrial environments. Eliminate (E).

This is why (A) remains the best answer. We do see something that seems true in every other answer choice, but we can eliminate choices (B), (C), (D), and (E) because none of them express the overall purpose of the passage.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q49 V24
GMAT 3: 640 Q48 V29
Re: In terrestrial environments, gravity places special demands  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 22:10
Took 14 mins, but got all correct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are the only way to tell whether my post is useful.

GMAT PREP 1: Q50 V34 - 700

Veritas Test 1: Q43 V34 - 630
Veritas Test 2: Q46 V30 - 620
Veritas Test 3: Q45 V29 - 610
Veritas Test 4: Q49 V30 - 650

GMAT PREP 2: Q50 V34 - 700

Veritas Test 5: Q47 V33 - 650
Veritas Test 5: Q46 V33 - 650

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In terrestrial environments, gravity places special demands &nbs [#permalink] 30 Sep 2018, 22:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

In terrestrial environments, gravity places special demands

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap