Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [94]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [25]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [4]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In their most recent press release the new management stated that they [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Using Subject verb agreement: Management is singular, so use its and it instead of their and they - this eliminates A, B and E
Between C and D, D makes is concise and uses "to expand" correctly. The use of "on expanding" in C does not seem correct.
D is best choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: In their most recent press release the new management stated that they [#permalink]
Bookmarks
In their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand into the global software market via a series of acquisitions in Asia and Latin America.

A. their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand
Incorrect. "The new management" is singular (their/they).
B. its most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand
Incorrect. "The new management" is singular (they).
C. its most recent press release, the new management stated that it plans on expanding
Correct, but wordy.
D. its most recent press release, the new management stated an intention to expand
Correct.
E. its most recent press release, the new management stated their intention to expand
Incorrect. "The new management" is singular (their).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Kudos
The presence of "they/their" clearly makes A, B and E out.

Between C and D, we have a tough choice. In eliminating C, it boils down to the idiomatic usage. "plans on expanding" should have been "plans to expand".

However, what is slightly worrying me about D is that it uses a new word "intention", which is not mentioned in the original sentence at all! Is this a common case, because I don't remember seeing any such sentences on any official question.

Also, is it logical to say that the new management stated an intention to expand into the global software market? Because this seems to suggest that the "management" is expanding into the global software market.

It should ideally be the "company" (that this management is representing) that should be expanding into the global software market.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Pronoun Revision Project.

In their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand into the global software market via a series of acquisitions in Asia and Latin America.

A. their most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand

B. its most recent press release, the new management stated that they plan to expand

C. its most recent press release, the new management stated that it plans on expanding

D. its most recent press release, the new management stated an intention to expand

E. its most recent press release, the new management stated their intention to expand

My 2 cent:
Between C and D, I selected D. Because in C, management stated that it plans on expanding > past tense(stated) then present tense(plans). And it also seems awkward stated its plan on expanding could have been right, but stated that it plans does not seems right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '18
Send PM
Kudos
In answer C, "the new management stated that it plans on expanding," I think there is sth wrong in tense here. The first clause is "stated" so the subjunctive clause it must be past perfect tense.

Does somebody help me clear that?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
oanhnguyen1116 wrote:
In answer C, "the new management stated that it plans on expanding," I think there is sth wrong in tense here. The first clause is "stated" so the subjunctive clause it must be past perfect tense.

Does somebody help me clear that?

The typical error in the sentence is of pronoun and meaning. (No Sunjuctive mood as such). The pronoun "it" refers to "management" and seems to be illogical w.r.t plans on expanding.

The new management desires "to expand" into other markets rather than "expanding" itself.

Hope this helps.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Isn't intention to expand changes the meaning a bit? I marked C only for this reason. Please provide your inputs.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
Isn't intention to expand changes the meaning a bit? I marked C only for this reason. Please provide your inputs.

Yes, it does - "a plan to expand" would be better.

However option C is wrong because "plan on" is unidiomatic here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

There is a contention between C and D. I chose C because I thought stated should be followed by that.

However the answer is D. Some have claimed that "plan on" is unidiomatic.

Is that correct?? Could you please shed some light.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos