GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 07:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:09) correct 59% (02:08) wrong based on 88 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during the school year than they do during the times when the students are out of town. Therefore we know that most parking citations in university towns are issued to students.

Which one of the following is most similar in its flawed reasoning to the flawed reasoning in the argument above?

(A) We know that children buy most of the snacks at cinemas, because popcorn sales increase as the proportion of child moviegoers to adult moviegoers increases

(B) We know that this houseplant gets more of the sunlight from the window, because it is greener than that houseplant

(C) We know that most people who go to a university are studious because most of those people study while they attend the university

(D) We know that consumers buy more fruit during the summer than they buy during the winter, because there are for more varieties of fruit available inn the summer than in the winter

(E) We know that most of the snacks parents buy go to other people's children, because when other people's children come to visit, parents give out more snacks than usual

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 08:01
I chose A, turned out to be wrong.

However, I will still provide my reasoning so that others can learn from my mistakes:

I tried to connect OS and AC A in the following way:

More tickets during the semester could also mean the tickets were given to faculty staff that might also leave town during the break.
More snacks in children's movies could also mean that parents with children need more sugar to cope with the stress as compared to childless adults.

Last but not least there is a small typo in AC A

(A) We know that children by most of the snacks at cinemas, because popcorn sales increase as the proportion of child moviegoers to adult moviegoers increases

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 19:42
In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during the school year than they do during the times when the students are out of town. Therefore we know that most parking citations in university towns are issued to students.

Which one of the following is most similar in its flawed reasoning to the flawed reasoning in the argument above?
Type- similar reasoning
Conclusion- most parking citations in university towns are issued to students.
Flaw- Perhaps the tickets are being given to professors, visitors, vendors, parents etc

(A) We know that children buy most of the snacks at cinemas, because popcorn sales increase as the proportion of child moviegoers to adult moviegoers increases- incorrect; the issue is with 'proportion'- it can either increase when the number of children is increasing or the number of adults is decreasing

(B) We know that this houseplant gets more of the sunlight from the window, because it is greener than that houseplant- incorrect; there is no mention of increase in the number of a group

(C) We know that most people who go to a university are studious because most of those people study while they attend the university- incorrect; It's about a characteristic; and, it's missing a time period when more of a group is around and more of a phenomenon occurs

(D) We know that consumers buy more fruit during the summer than they buy during the winter, because there are for more varieties of fruit available in the summer than in the winter - different flaw- The presence of more varieties of fruit doesn’t necessarily mean that people are buying more fruit

(E) We know that most of the snacks parents buy go to other people's children, because when other people's children come to visit, parents give out more snacks than usual- Correct; more snacks are sold when other kids come, but those snacks need not necessarily go to kids.

Answer E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 02:03
Thank you for the detailed explanation, kudos to you.

So basically I got the flaw, but was unable to identify a similar pattern in the arguments presented.
While this question is of high quality, I also found it to be quite hard.

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 02:03

In university towns, police issue far more parking citations during

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap