Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Re: Is it worth a second shot? [#permalink]
Trust me and strictly follow me, GMAT is a trap!!!! A big, lucrative trap!!!! It all seems fancy and easier to crack until you actually face the test when you potentially realize what is going wrong!!!! And then, you are confused, angry that you were misguided, pathetic that you didn't know yourself or couldn't seek expert advice earlier...........and finally, dejected and disappointed that your future is blurred and totally unknown!!!!

That's exactly when guys like me come in!!!! I am Barney, Barney Stinson!!!! GMAT, precisely, is more than an aptitude test. It tests your inherent skills, your innate abilities, your patience and perseverance and above all, your discipline towards life!!!!

Trust me, don't take it seriously, it's just going to ruin your time in your life. Hookup with someone really worthy in the opposite sex, bang and have some wonderful kids!!!! Life's just going to be just as awesome as being selected for Booth at Chicago, IL. But, if you still keen..........lemme know and I shall inform my PM (personal mail)!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
I am currently preparing for GMAT. Even though I am not a GMAT instructor but I would like to share a few things with you to help you look at positive side/better side.
First, yes you CAN RECOVER from a bad score. How can I say that when I have never taken the test and I am still struggling to get out of 500 range? Here is how:

I have studied hard from "DEC 23- Till this Morning". Did all Kalan online workshops, and solved all questions correctly. Finished my home works and almost 80% of OG.

I did not take any CATs, thinking first I will finish the studying and then I will take ALL CATs. I took my first CAT this morning after almost 1.5 months of hard study. I scored 510. Verbal is my forte and I scored horrible in even that. Honestly, I wept. But then I realized I need to take more CATs. Knowing the stuff is half the deal. You have to be able to apply it "smartly" during the test and only more CATs can get anyone there. During the CAT1 could tell I know the question but not enough time to attempt it properly. I was looking more at the timer than the question itself. So my decision is to take more CATs.

I think you should take more CATs too. Since you have already studied for the test, you know the basics, this time around practice under time constraint. I am going to buy MGMAT CATs+Number Properites books. And I will take remaining 6 CATs left in my Kaplan course. Also use GMATPREP tests. Everyone here recommends them.

Stay on this forum. I find it extremely helpful. Give yourself credit for at least attempting the real test.
Practice full length tests.Thats what I learnt this morning.
If you are feeling low after a bad score this means you DO HAVE the desire to improve and do something better the next time.
Good Luck.
Amber
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
what is your goal or how many points you want to improve by? It is hard to analyze if we dont know a ballpark score. if it is 500s i think there are many great links/strategies you can use to get 600ish. if it is 700ish then it is tougher.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the responses - my goal is to break 600. I have been looking into 800score (dot) com and I just purchased all the Manhattan GMAT guide books pertaining to math. Man, I really wish I had found this site earlier because I really do believe that my score would have improved had I tried 10 or so computer adaptive tests (CAT). Is there a software program I can buy or a book that simulates the exams? Are there any you guys recommend in particular?

I scored a 480 if that helps - I really started guessing in the last five minutes and was usually 6 or seven questions short in each subject.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think CATs are the best way to improve. Normally, a CAT takes a question from pool of 1000-1200 questions so even if you repeat a CAT, you may see about 25% old questions but the rest will be new. So take CATs and then re-take them if needed. Knowing the theory, formulas etc. is half the way. Applying your learning quickly in a test is the real deal. I think.

I am doing the following:
1: Kaplan CATs
2: MGMAT CATs and also their number properties book. Became MGMAT fan after I came to this forum. (Thanks Cclay)
3: I am also going to buy GMAT CLUB TESTS.
4: GMATPREP is A MUST. People say its closest to real test. I plan to take GMATPREP after all the other CATs to clearly see where I stand.

Take your 480 as a base to improve upon. I am taking my 510 as a discovery on what else is needed for me to improve. I know its upsetting to find out you have study again and harder than before. I called my mom and was describing my dis-appointment. She replied " anything in life worth having requires hard work, if you want things in life you think you are worth of, then put in the hard work." and these words motivated me.

Stay on this forum, people here are so helpful in reaching out with tips and suggestions. Good Luck. Amber
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i started at 330 and now im scoring 480
my goal is 600+

I believe that GMAT is a game and you need to know how to play it
GMAT Club Bot