Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Is this plan for Verbal reasonable? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi quangdung23,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi quangdung23,

Many Test Takers are unhappy (or concerned) about their initial practice CAT score results, but they shouldn't be. That first practice CAT is really important for a couple of reasons. First, we need to know your current skills, strengths and weaknesses - and putting off taking that CAT just makes the study process more of an unknown because right now we don't really know what you should be focused on. Second, we need a basis for comparison, and right now you don't have anything to compare to (other than earlier practice questions that you worked on). Third, there are aspects to the GMAT that you can really only learn (and train for) by taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) in a realistic fashion. If you don't take CATs at regular intervals, then you might not learn all of the many aspects of what it takes to perform well on Test Day.

This is all meant to say that you should take that first CAT sometime soon. Once you have that score, you should report back here with your results and we can discuss your Study Plan going forward.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is this plan for Verbal reasonable? [#permalink]
Konstantin1983 wrote:
quangdung23 wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on GMATClub and about asking plan for self-learning Verbal only.

I am reading MGMAT Verbal Foundation book, cause grammar is my weakness so I found the SC part of this book is helpful. But I think that I should skip the next two parts CR and RC and go directly to 3 three books for each part of V including "GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible" and "Reading Comprehension", "Sentence Correction" of MGMAT. I am confident with my reading skill because everyday I read english books for roughly 2 hours.

I have at least 3 hours and maximum 5 hours for weekdays, and more than 8 hours for weekend. I intend to conquer GMAT in 6 months for the target over than 700 to get scholarship of top 50.

Anyone has suggestions for me ? Thank you so much.

Little Background: I am stock broker for 1 year exp, I will apply in Fall 2017. I started learning English since I graduated from high school, so my skills have been improving as reading books, watching youtube ... So grammar and writing are the things I am not good at.

Hi Guangdung23!

My advice to you is to use theory with practice. I mean you should read books and then use knowedge in practice. Since you are asking about verbal i recommend two books from your list - first and third). As for me i tried to solve as much questions as possible and after that i analysed my answers. After some time i noticed my progress. I advise you to use OG questions for verbal that you can find here. You can use other questions as well but be aware that these questions may be poor qoality. As for time constrains, i think 6 months is more than enough

Because I have recently digged in GMAT, even now I do not know what do other part look like, so I think it is better to start from scratch.
Since you are asking about verbal i recommend two books from your list - first and third

You mean "CR Bible" and "SC of MGMAT", what about recommendation book for RC?

I advise you to use OG questions for verbal that you can find here You are right, after having methods from those books and fair amount of practicing, I will move to OG and questions on GMATClub. And take log error to observe my improvement.

Thank you so much for your recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is this plan for Verbal reasonable? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi quangdung23,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Dear EmpowerGmat, I will answer your questions in order.
1. I have studied for less than a month. I am just working on Verbal only, cause Quant is my strength since in high school we practiced it a lot.
2. I am using CR Bible, MGMAT for RC and SC. After having methods from these books and fair amount of practicing (I think it would be 2 months). I will move to OG and questions on GMATCLUB plus doing Error Log to see my improvement.
3. I haven't, even now I have no idea of every part looks like, so I think it is better to have foundations before taking the real test.

4. I want to apply to Canada and US (Sauber is in my shortlist, maybe another is in Toronto), I still haven't figured it out the rest 3 b-schools (they are in US). Because I take GMAT for 6 months so my target is +700 to get scholarship of top 50. I have passed a program that provides me a Mentor (he is studying MBA in US), we will work on my shortlist, after locating the rest 3 b-schools I will notify you immediately :)

Thank you for comment. Do you see that everything is ok?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi quangdung23,

Many Test Takers are unhappy (or concerned) about their initial practice CAT score results, but they shouldn't be. That first practice CAT is really important for a couple of reasons. First, we need to know your current skills, strengths and weaknesses - and putting off taking that CAT just makes the study process more of an unknown because right now we don't really know what you should be focused on. Second, we need a basis for comparison, and right now you don't have anything to compare to (other than earlier practice questions that you worked on). Third, there are aspects to the GMAT that you can really only learn (and train for) by taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) in a realistic fashion. If you don't take CATs at regular intervals, then you might not learn all of the many aspects of what it takes to perform well on Test Day.

This is all meant to say that you should take that first CAT sometime soon. Once you have that score, you should report back here with your results and we can discuss your Study Plan going forward.

Rich

Thank you so much, I will definitely take the test and go back to report :)
GMAT Club Bot