Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you should focus more on your short-term goal while choosing the school. Where do you want to work post graduation?

Long term you never know if you will be in india, usa, or join that satellite office at moon that your future company will open in 2049 :-D

btw, contrats on the admits.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
Dont know what you folks are coming from...University of Phoenix Online rules !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Re: ISB vs. Tepper [#permalink]
luminos24 wrote:

2) Costs around $ 34K as against $ 150K for Tepper => smaller hole in my pocket.

But when you graduate from Tepper, you can expect USD 100k plus. If you are working in India post ISB, the ROI is bad. So, in your case with either of the schools you are better off working in a Western country. In that case, isnt Tepper a better option?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
Where do you want to work post graduation?

Thanx for your wishes...immediately after graduation i am open to work in any part of the world...however, i plan to return back to India after 3 - 5 years....

One one hand, if i have to return back to India after all then ISB is a good option providing fairly okay ROI...

One the other hand...if i work in US post graduation, pay off my loans and then return back to India, i would still be in the same/better position + MBA from Tepper...

mba07 wrote:
But when you graduate from Tepper, you can expect USD 100k plus. If you are working in India post ISB, the ROI is bad. So, in your case with either of the schools you are better off working in a Western country. In that case, isnt Tepper a better option?

Post ISB if i wish to work in India, then ROI is not all that bad...It will probably compare to ROI post Tepper working in the US
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So then I guess your decision really has nothing to do with comparing the two schools, but rather it requires you to decide whether you want to live in the US or India after graduation, a much bigger decision.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe it is not that simple :)

Coming to Tepper offers me a better education and a global/diverse learning but it also means taking a greater risk and dragging my spouse with me to an unfamiliar environment.

Going to ISB offers me a chance to be closer to home and finish my MBA in 1 year but it also requires me to compromise on the quality of my education and restrict my post grad opportunities to India/Asia Pacific

:?:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Considering your concerns, I suggest you ask your spouse.

If she wants to stay in India / Pacific, and you want to stay with her, ISB makes the most sense.

The worst case scenario is that you select Tepper, attend, your wife hates it here, and you go back to India with a less(?) recognised MBA that cost a lot more.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
[#permalink]
luminos24 wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
Where do you want to work post graduation?

Thanx for your wishes...immediately after graduation i am open to work in any part of the world...however, i plan to return back to India after 3 - 5 years....

If you want to get back to India in 3-5 years, I guess ISB makes perfect sense. if you get an international offer, you can work abroad for 3-5 years and get back. Also, your spouse wont have to spend 2 years in an alien environment.
Good luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I suggest you do some thorough checking of this issue.

Check Tepper for:
Check whether internationals from Tepper have been able to secure positions / work permits, etc. Check grads from 2002-2003 who had to endure the harsh post 9/11 years to see what a really bad environment would be like. Check if the recruiters you are interested in recruit internationals or not. Check the actual living + tuition expenses for your family and lifestyle (not just the typical figure). And then decide what you want to do.

Check ISB for:
the opportunities you can hope to get. Go beyond the headline grabbing McKinsey or Goldman recruits. Check what the average student is getting.

Check yourself for:
what you wanna do and where you'd like to spend the next 5 yrs.

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanx all for your inputs...i am doing my thorough home work now...trying to catch up with as many alumni as possible...

thanx for your kind words and advices
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
luminos24 wrote:
Thanx all for your inputs...i am doing my thorough home work now...trying to catch up with as many alumni as possible...

thanx for your kind words and advices

so what Have u chosen? Just curious :lol:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tepper it is.... :)

i talked to a lot of people and was trying to get as many opinions as possible (actually, trying to make sure that i don't sc**w up this opportunity)...

The general feedback i got was that Tepper was a better investment, giving me a lot more flexibility/recognition/contacts/opportunities than ISB. There will be difficulties on the monetary and social life front...but then...life ain't a cake walk :)

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from ISB but the question is....HOW TO GET MY ACCEPTANCE FEE BACK !!!! :twisted: it's almost ($3000)

any suggestions on how i should approach them?! ;-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What kind of acceptance fee is that. $3000???!!!@@@@???? You mean the acceptance deposit, so how likely to get it back???

ghibi!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
GHIBI wrote:
What kind of acceptance fee is that. $3000???!!!@@@@???? You mean the acceptance deposit, so how likely to get it back???

ghibi!

Yes..my mistake....acceptance deposit should be the correct term
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V168
Send PM
luminos24 wrote:
Tepper it is.... :)

i talked to a lot of people and was trying to get as many opinions as possible (actually, trying to make sure that i don't sc**w up this opportunity)...

The general feedback i got was that Tepper was a better investment, giving me a lot more flexibility/recognition/contacts/opportunities than ISB. There will be difficulties on the monetary and social life front...but then...life ain't a cake walk :)

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from ISB but the question is....HOW TO GET MY ACCEPTANCE FEE BACK !!!! :twisted: it's almost ($3000)

any suggestions on how i should approach them?! ;-)

Out of curiosity. Were you able to get a refund? :)
GMAT Club Bot