Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome! Thank you for your detailed experience! All the best for the years to come. :musband
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 285 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats and best of luck with your apps.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Background

Bachelors in EE in India (BITS, Pilani), Masters in Comp Engg in the US and 3.5 years work experience in microprocessor design in one of the well known semiconductor companies in the Bay Area.

Preparation

Two years ago, I wanted to give the GMAT and started studying vaguely. Tried to improve my verbal but without much success. My diagnostic was 690 and my PP practice tests were 710 and 730. Most importantly I had no confidence in the scores and felt that on a bad day I could end up with a 690 or so. I just gave it up at that time as I did not have any immediate requirement to give the GMAT.

Recently, I had a quite period at work and finally decided to take another stab at the GMAT. This time I had an invaluable resource that I did not have the first time, the forums. I would attribute a 30-40 point jump to the forums and most importantly it ensured the consistency I was so lacking the first time.

Diagnostics: First off, I took the diagnostics. The Kaplan and Princeton ones online. I found that my quant was pretty strong and identified that I was rusty in P&C in quant. Verbal was definitely weaker and I felt very uncomfortable with SC's and RC's especially. CR's seems much easier. These were my diagnostic scores.

Week Test Q NumberWrong V NumberWrong (SC/RC/CR) Score
1 Princeton Diagnostic 48 2 39 7(2,4,1) 730
3 Kaplan Diagnostic 47 2 40 9 (6/2/1) 720

Weeks 1 and 2 were spent mostly in trying to identify resources, scrouge the forums, read a few Just Finished the test posts and formulated general strategy for preparation. From the third week onwards I started full scale preparation. It involved atleast 2 hours every night and 5-6 hours every weekend day. First I concentrated on SC and P&C.

P&C: I had done similar problems a long time back, so I knew I could start doing them well. I just needed practice. For this purpose the Math forum is excellent. I started solving questions from there and over time gained immense confidence. Doing problems like counting number of words that can be formed by rearranging letters of a word (and variations like vowels need to be together) strengthens the basics tremendously. After you start understanding the basic concepts the rest follow pretty intiutively. I was never weak in probability but I still did some for practice.

Other math: I found that I was strong in geometry, algebra, measurements, work problems etc and relied on the practice tests for practice on these. One method to find interesting problems is to sort the math forum by number of replies. The hardest and trickiest problems in the archives show up on top. I found that I was making mistakes in number theory and then fixed that by substituing [-2,-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1,2]. I never relied on backsolving, plugging in answers etc since I could solve the problem by multiple ways and doing so increased my confidence on the correctness of the solution. I typically found that I never made too many careless mistakes since I solved each problem in atleast 2 different methods. This practice helped me blaze through questions in the real test when I had time pressure with relatively good confidence on the solution. Surprisingly, I never made silly mistakes in conversion etc since I was always on the lookout for the tricks.

Sentence correction: Here comes the biggest focus in my entire preparation. I knew that I had to master this section if I wanted to get the 99 percentile range. There is simply no way to crack the GMAT by having a glaring weakness in one of the sections. I knew that the SC questions showed up a lot in the earlier questions in verbal and would be key in determining my range. I started by reading Grammar Smart by Princeton. Believe it or not, when I started my preperation I did not know what an adverb was. I meticulously did all the exercises and slowly the difference between a participle, gerund, infinitve, subordinating conjunction and independent clause dawned on me. Though these concepts are not tested in the GMAT it is imprtant to understand what each means when the OG talks about them in the solutions. Also, in general it increases your confidence on sentence structures and subconciously helps you identify mistakes faster.

The next step was to start from the oldest posts in sentencecorrection.com and work my way backwards in the archives. Here is where I gained the most in terms of what is being tested on the GMAT. For example, here is where I learnt when to use "that" and when to use "which", what is the difference between "like" and "as", when can "one" take a plural verb, when is "each" singular and when is it plural. These are all subtle concepts that you will be definitely tested on if you are above the 85 percentile. Make no mistake. This process is long, painful and a very hard route. But as far as I can see this is the surest way to crack this section. I did about 500 questions, before I started seeing repetitions and my ROI was much lower and I stopped. If you are focussed you can do 50 posts a day and you can get this done in 10 days. Does not seem very unreasonable, does it? The key here is not to move on if you got the question right. It is to read explanations written by various people and understand the concepts.

Reading Comprehension: Surprisingly, I got 7 RC questions out of the first 10 questions in the real test. Q 2-5(business) and Q7-10(native American) were RC's and I cracked both. This was where I probably lifted my level even though I had missed the second question. This section looks to be increasingly important nowadays. When I started prep I was very weak on this one too. I used to skim the passage not understand it well, look at it with hatred and muffed up the questions.

Then I changed my attitude. I started to read the RC's with relish. I looked forward to reading RC's as a way to improve my knowledge on different subjects. I started taking an active and curious interest in the passage. Consider the caffeine example in the OG. As soon as I see the passage, I tell myself that it is a good way to understand why people are addicted to caffeine and how does it really stimulate the body. As I keep reading I get excited by the information the passages and by the time I an done I have a clear picture of the passage. This improved my RC hit rate and timing tremendously. For most questions I did not have to go back to the passage and I could easily sense the answer. Maintaining scope is very important in RC's and you cannot add your views on top of what the author says. It is good to do about 20 passages from the OG. Once I understood the concepts I did not have to spend much time preparing for the RC's.

Critical Reasoning: I never had much trouble with this from the begining. Basic strategies like reading the stem first work here. If you practice from the OG and if you fell comfortable you are good to go. It is important to have a clear mind for this section. One thing I found useful was to make an answer grid and score out choices that are totally out of scope. This helped me prevents re-reading the choices just to be "sure" after you find the right choice. This saves a lot of time. In the real exam I did not have time to read all choices in many questions and relied on my mental map of what should be the right choice. You can try to make similar mental maps.

Practice Tests: As I kept preparing, I took the practice tests though I never cared much about the scores except for the powerprep ones. The practice tests are only good for stimulating a 4 hour mental marathon. None, except the PP mimic the GMAT. I would recommend not trying to estimate your final score based on the practice tests and focus on concepts you missed in the tests. Here are my practice test scores.
Week Test Q NumberWrong V NumberWrong (SC/RC/CR) Score

4 PP1(before OG) 51 0 42 7(2/3/2) 770
5 Kaplan1 50 3 37 12 670
6 Peterson1 50 3 57 7(2/3/2) 790
6 Kaplan2 50 3 36 12(2/5/5) 650
7 Kaplan3 50 1 35 13 650
7 Peterson2 50 3 39 7 690
8 PP2(after OG) 51 0 45 3(2/1/0) 780

Kaplan: Excellent for math. Terrible for verbal. I sleepwalked the verbal sections
Peterson: Math was good again though had some wrong answers. Verbal is OK for practice.
PP: Math is much easier than real test. Verbal is pretty similar to real test. After PP1 I felt pretty good. After PP2 I did not feel so confident as I was not solving most of the questions as I remembered them. Still it was good to get a feel of the real test just before the test. Another good thing is that the lack of confidence in the verbal just before the test, kills even the smallest overconfidence you might have!

Preparation Material:
- Forums are the best for Math and SC
- OG is best for RC and CR.
- Kaplan is good for math
- I cannot stress the importance of OG enough. I recommend doing the OG in the last 2-3 weeks if you are already scoring well. You remember the last material the best. lf you are not doing that great, you may want to do the OG in the very early stages once and do it again towards the end.

Some random notes

- You will do yourself a favor if you do not underestimate the psychological nature of the test. It is more of a mental marathon than anything.
- Use a practice answer grid and keep reviewing the questions you made mistakes on (especially in the OG). Staple all the sheets so you do not lose them.
- If you burn yourself out with overpreparation you will not peak at the right time.
- There is NO shortcut to the GMAT. You have to practice, practice and practice your weak points. Learning the concepts rather than shortcut strategies is the best way for a 700 plus score. Over time these concepts are embedded in your mind and this is very important when racing through the sections. If your aim is less than 650 the basic books like Kaplan, Princeton may be good enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am speechless!...

just by your complete report, we can see that you are a very sophisticated writer and that you express yourself freely!.

congratulations on your great score!!!!

:good :good :good
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow,

thanks for an excellent, thorough and insightful couple posts. i have printed them out and will be reading on the waty home.

thanks dude.

good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wonderful Score... :beer
and Thanks for the insights....

My questions:
What was ur breakup of timing in the Verbal Portion in GMAT particularly for the earlier questions.. (0-10, 11-20, 21-31)? :roll:

When onw should start thinking (in verbal) that one is lagging behind time?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
My timing was approximately

Q 10: 52 mins to go
Q20: 28 mins to go [ 10-20 was where I was slow. 24 mins for 10q is unacceptable]
Q30: 11 mins to go

My timing should probably be the worst you can do. If you are doing worse than this you are VERY slow. Considering that the first few questions are slightly more important ideally it should be something like this

Q 10: 55 mins to go [2 mins per Q]
Q20: 35 mins to go [2 mins per q]
Q30: 17 mins to go [1.75 mins per q]
Q41: 0 [1.6 mins per q]

jpv wrote:
Wonderful Score... :beer
and Thanks for the insights....

My questions:
What was ur breakup of timing in the Verbal Portion in GMAT particularly for the earlier questions.. (0-10, 11-20, 21-31)? :roll:

When onw should start thinking (in verbal) that one is lagging behind time?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrtualtions alakshma.

Thanks for sharing your preperation strategy and tips.I agree with your tip on RC to read "to know more".I've tried few times that technique recently and it helped a bit.I tell myself like "wow....really...interesting...".I got a low verbal in my first attempt and trying to improve on Verbal.Any additional tips you can give of Verbal?

Any specifc DS preperation startegy you had.I have math background school but DS tricks me quite a bit.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alakshma
Congrats for your score. A wonderful post!
You basically summed up lot of wonderful insights in a very logical way . No doubt you scored so well. I agree with you 101% on what you said about SC. I request all those struggling with SC, and in a way with GMAT verbal, to understand what he says.
Quote:
I knew that I had to master this section if I wanted to get the 99 percentile range. There is simply no way to crack the GMAT by having a glaring weakness in one of the sections. I knew that the SC questions showed up a lot in the earlier questions in verbal and would be key in determining my range

Quote:
Make no mistake. This process is long, painful and a very hard route. But as far as I can see this is the surest way to crack this section. I did about 500 questions, before I started seeing repetitions and my ROI was much lower and I stopped. If you are focussed you can do 50 posts a day and you can get this done in 10 days. Does not seem very unreasonable, does it? The key here is not to move on if you got the question right. It is to read explanations written by various people and understand the concepts

Me too realized exactly this during my preparation for GMAT this time and that realization did pay off to an extent. I guess I lacked that killer instinct somewhere to go for an all kill which probably made a difference between 38 and 42.
This is the one of the best posts I have read here. I would recommend putting it in the sticky area.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I gave almost all the tips I wanted to, on verbal, except for one maybe. It is not just how hard you practice that matters but, more importantly how hard you analyze. One thing that is not good to do is to fool yourself that you got a question right because you knew it, when actually you did not. Many times we get lucky when answering questions. This is somewhat summarized in the first few lines of the SC explanations in the OG (p 696).

"Remember that it is the problem solving strategy that is important, not the specific details of a particular question".

So I would recommend spending a lot more time on analysis of the type of question than on solving.

For DS, I would recommend treating it is 3 questions. Option 1 is first question, option 2 is second question and Option 1&2 combined as the third question. If you treat it that way it is the same as PS. Also, the lesser you plug in answers in PS and the more you rely on concepts, the better it is for DS. Because in DS you do not have answers to plug back. You have to know the concepts.

700Plus wrote:
Congrtualtions alakshma.

Thanks for sharing your preperation strategy and tips.I agree with your tip on RC to read "to know more".I've tried few times that technique recently and it helped a bit.I tell myself like "wow....really...interesting...".I got a low verbal in my first attempt and trying to improve on Verbal.Any additional tips you can give of Verbal?

Any specifc DS preperation startegy you had.I have math background school but DS tricks me quite a bit.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Reading your posts makes it easy to understand how you scored a 760.

You're meticulous. This is just the motivation i need to perfect my preparation for test day.

Thanks and with such writing skills you'll mesmerize the adcomms in your essays. all the best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great post! Congrats and good luck with your applications.

What all GMAT forums were you subscribed to?

I have a funny problem with repeat questions - If I see a repeat question, one that I did not answer correctly the first time, I tend to waste time trying to recollect what my answer was on the previous attempt.

Still, I will grab any repeats I get :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your kind words kwasi7. I do want to point something out here and put things in perspective for others. Though my post may look very organized I am not the totally meticulous person I sound to be.

I understand that a lot of people are not 100% meticulous and I hope they do not lose confidence thinking that being 100% meticulous is the only way to crack the GMAT. There were a couple of times when I felt too lazy to learn and glossed over a concept (case in point - the Statistics DS questions I missed due to lack of preparation).

Being reasonably meticulous is good (which I admit I was) and ofcourse the more meticulous you are the better it is, but my point is that even if you are not 100% there you can still crack the GMAT. Sound preparation and calm mind are the most important attributes.

kwasi7 wrote:
Reading your posts makes it easy to understand how you scored a 760.

You're meticulous. This is just the motivation i need to perfect my preparation for test day.

Thanks and with such writing skills you'll mesmerize the adcomms in your essays. all the best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I subscribed to gmatclub, testmagic and scoretop score top forums.

I have the same problem you have i.e trying to guess the answer when I have already seen a question. In the test I had to literally force myself to solve the question instead of trying to guess the answer. So, you are not alone :-)

mckenna wrote:
Great post! Congrats and good luck with your applications.

What all GMAT forums were you subscribed to?

I have a funny problem with repeat questions - If I see a repeat question, one that I did not answer correctly the first time, I tend to waste time trying to recollect what my answer was on the previous attempt.

Still, I will grab any repeats I get :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts