Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Just need a 550 on GMAT. What's the most efficient way to study? [#permalink]
ok, so i actually quit 7 questions into the quant section. i started freaking out and got test anxiety. my mind went completely blank and i couldnt think clearly enough to even know how to solve the easiest problems... i just closed by browser and quit. i think im going to just restart studying all the way from the beginning and re read all my manhanttan books... at least for quant anyways. it just sucks i wasted all those times studying and then freak out during a practice test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Just need a 550 on GMAT. What's the most efficient way to study? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi btan219,

You're not the first person to feel a bit over-whelmed by a CAT (or the Official GMAT), so don't let that upset you too much. I suggest that you take a day or two 'off' then get back to work.

There's no way around this though - you MUST take a FULL-LENGTH CAT soon, so that we can use those score results to figure out what you need to work on. There is no substitute for that part of the practice and avoiding it is just going to lengthen this process. From a big-picture perspective, MBA's don't get to "give up" when things get tough, so consider this part of your career training. This first CAT might no go perfectly, but it doesn't have to. You're going to build up from whatever score you earn.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey Rich,

I am wondering; should one take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (Including AWA + IR), if, and only if, on the REAL GMAT one is allowed to skip AWA + IR (Because B-school does not require it, for example)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SavageBrother,

I would still advise that you practice for (and take) the FULL GMAT (even if a Business School sent you a signed letter stating that it did not care about your Essay and IR scores). There are several reasons why having a full set of scores matters:

1) The School might change its policy. Then you would have a score that is incomplete.
2) The School's Admissions Officers might subconsciously use that incomplete score against you. What if everyone else applies with a full set of scores and you (or perhaps you and a few others) are the only ones who didn't take the FULL GMAT? I don't think that would look 'good' for you.
3) You might end up wanting to apply to other Schools/Programs. Without a full set of scores, that would likely be difficult. The same goes for scholarships.
4) You might actually be asked about your GMAT score after you graduate (when interviewing for a job). Not having a complete set of scores might work against you in that scenario.

In the big picture, there are far too many potential 'negatives' involved to justify skipping 2 relatively simple parts of the Test.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot