Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in the minority that doesn't like/want a Lenovo and the HP dv2500 seems to be very popular. It has mixed reviews on notebookreview.com though. Anyone purchase one of these?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
The things I don't like about the dv2500 it's weight and that it's screen. The HP weighs a lot for a 14.1" computer, and it's not nearly as solidly built as the Lenovo T61. The two weigh about the same; I know where the extra weight is going on the Lenovo (top and bottom roll cages, HD accelerometer & rock solid build); the HP is heavier because it's using cheaper materials.

The screen is the real problem for me though. 1280x800 just isn't high enough resolution for a 14.1" screen. That resolution is great on 12.1" screens, but the 14.1" could use more detail. A lot of the competition has 1440x900 screens available; I think that's perfect for the screen size. Opinions differ though, some people find the text too small, but to me it looks really sharp.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
09App wrote:
I'm in the minority that doesn't like/want a Lenovo and the HP dv2500 seems to be very popular. It has mixed reviews on notebookreview.com though. Anyone purchase one of these?

It's wrong to compare the HP2500dv with the T61. The former is a consumer Laptop and the latter is a business notebook. The difference between quality is like night and day. If you want to compare the HP with the T series, compare the HP-Compaq business lineup ex: HP Compaq 6910b.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
09App wrote:

It's wrong to compare the HP2500dv with the T61. The former is a consumer Laptop and the latter is a business notebook. The difference between quality is like night and day. If you want to compare the HP with the T series, compare the HP-Compaq business lineup ex: HP Compaq 6910b.

I completely agree. If one were to compare the T61 I would say its HP counter part is the nc8430. Which is the computer I will be using this up coming year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not comparing the two. I just stated that I didn't want the Lenovo like everyone else.

Yes, yes, consumer and business laptops are entirely different. I get it. Pelihu had a great point about the resolution of the HP. I'm going to get a Dell just because it does offer the higher resolutions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just want to share that I bought an external slim USB 2.0 DVD+/- dual layer drive by Star Tech for my Lenovo x61s. It's very light and portable. No power adapter required for CD/DVD-ROM use. Compatible with Vista.Weighs 12 oz. I am very happy with it. I'd probably leave it at home most of the time, not planning to lug it around.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
laptops [#permalink]
You can not go wrong with a Lenovo x-series laptop. I currently have an x41 and an x41 tablet and have an x60s from work. All of these models are phenominal. the x41 weighs only 4 pounds and is smaller than my notebooks for school.

hth,
- tsd
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
In case you are still looking for a good laptop but dont want to spend more than $1000:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite ... 000OM953M/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just to update - I bought the X60 from my school's computer store. I really like the weight (slightly heavier than a feather) and battery life (6 to 8 hours).

I also bought a Samsung external DVD-drive from the net. Although it is slightly troublesome when I need to use the external drive (e.g. to install s/w), I can live with it. Actually, I don't think I would use it very frequently (especially once school starts). That's why I chose one of the cheapest (yet it seems to have the best specs by my standard - thin and light, and can be powered off USB).

Total cost - $1490.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
09App wrote:

I totally agree. I ridiculous to see people comparing T6X with all the consumer grade HP Laptops. I just got the 6810p and I absolutely love it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a Vaio for sale if anyone is interested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
09App wrote:

I completely agree. If one were to compare the T61 I would say its HP counter part is the nc8430. Which is the computer I will be using this up coming year.

I have a 1 year old nc8430 and it's a pretty good laptop. The only problem is that the exhaust is located on the left hand side of the machine (if you're a lefty) and the computer can run a bit hot if you're using a resource intensive program. If you get the extended battery you'll be fine...the regular battery lasts approx. 2.5-3 hours with normal use (word, multiple windows etc). The one nice thing about the HP is that it has a better graphics card than the lenovo's (for general use) and so you can always play video games :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anybody out there getting by on either a MID and UMPC for on campus tasks and parking the laptop at home for work?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Anybody out there getting by on either a MID and UMPC for on campus tasks and parking the laptop at home for work?

I dont think UMPC makes sense. It will be very diffiuclt to do excell problems on UMPC. Its just to small!

For excel type applications, you need real estate on ur screen.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
laptop dead. sad. thank god for back up. pursuing warranty.

crap. finals.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:

crap. finals.

Every bad thing possible has happened to you since school started. I'd start crying if my computer died.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

crap. finals.

Every bad thing possible has happened to you since school started. I'd start crying if my computer died.

I know, it's weird. My friend today asked me how i manage to survive. This was after I poured coffee into a defective cup, which spilled all over. Then I knocked over part of my new cup, then got my pants caught on the desk while trying to sit back down. I have days -- entire weeks, really -- where i should be confined to a bubble for my safety and that of others.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  14