Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Re: LBS Application / Essays [#permalink]
LBS has just revealed their 2011 questions and they are prettymuch the same as last year's. I think the first essay length is increased from 500 to 600, but all else looks the same, unless I am mistaken.

terp06, where did you get your LBS stats from? I'd be interested to learn more.

buff
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I just got a postcard from them and I think I requested information like 3 months ago. Things move at a little slower pace on that side of the pond. Get used to it :)

At the same time, I believe that people are fairly competitive if they apply to LBS in R2 or R3. LBS has a really high admit rate for a school of it's caliber.

I'm considering tossing in an application for R2, but still not 100% sure. 145 pounds is definitely the steepest application fee that I've seen and I think it's only a sign of things to come. I believe that the budget on their website is undershooting it quite a bit and the total cost of LBS would near $180,000-200,000 USD. I lived near Regents Park for a semester during undergrad and made friends with a few LBS students - gorgeous gorgeous neighborhood but it definitely broke the bank.

Does anyone have much information about how much weight an LBS degree holds in the United States? If I ended up at LBS, I would likely shoot to get into the London office of an investment bank and work there for a few years, but I may have an interest in coming back to the US and/or leaving banking after a few years. I would assume that the banks and consulting firms would recognize a degree from LBS - but I would certainly be worried about the brand equity in lets say, California's VC community.

LBS is pretty well known on this side of the pond. Having lived in LA for a while, I have met a few LBS folks in VC....some of them are also in media and entertainment... so the brand works here.

NYC is full of LBS grads.. so ya u are in no problem
SVP
SVP
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
LBS has just revealed their 2011 questions and they are prettymuch the same as last year's. I think the first essay length is increased from 500 to 600, but all else looks the same, unless I am mistaken.

terp06, where did you get your LBS stats from? I'd be interested to learn more.

buff

https://mbajourney2010.blogspot.com/2008 ... rates.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Thanks Terp06
hmm so 20% it is.
What's interesting is that I was speaking to an Adcom earlier this year and she said that interview rates are 40%, which means that post interview acceptence rates are circa 50%.

goodluck with the apps!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I just opened the postcard sized envelope they sent me. It's full of post cards on why Americans should consider the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
I've recently attended their MBA event and one thing students/alumni were 'complaining' about was brand recognition. No problem in Europe, but in the US LBS brand is after Yale, Duke, Haas (not to mention M7 of course), even though the program is ranked on par with M7 worldwide. Maybe in specific locations (like NY) it's not a problem, but I can imagine that in 'greater US' LBS means not too much.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:
I've recently attended their MBA event and one thing students/alumni were 'complaining' about was brand recognition. No problem in Europe, but in the US LBS brand is after Yale, Duke, Haas (not to mention M7 of course), even though the program is ranked on par with M7 worldwide. Maybe in specific locations (like NY) it's not a problem, but I can imagine that in 'greater US' LBS means not too much.

This is my perception as well. I guess you just have to ask yourself how important it is for the so-called "greater US" to know about your school. Most of the M7 MBA types will know about it - so if you go into an MBA heavy profession like banking or consulting, you're going to be fine. If you want to go work in brand management at a consumer packaged goods company in the Midwest or general management at an energy company in Houston, good luck getting your brand recognized.

It's similar to students that choose Yale SOM. They have decided that it would be wiser to have general brand recognition from the "greater US" as you call it as well as people abroad, as opposed to brand recognition and respect from the M7 MBA crowd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Yup if you're 100% sure you want to work in the midwest in FMCG then you're probably better off applying to Kellogg than LBS. However, if you want to keep your options open (e.g. working in Europe or major US cities) then LBS would be a great target school. If you plan to work in London post MBA and later move back to the US then your MBA degree will most likely be only secondary. Your post-MBA performance at your job will be much more important. I think recruiters probably won't care then if you have an LBS or US M7 degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Can anybody throw some insights at how study groups are structured at LBS in first year.

I am struggling with essay 3 especially with the subpart

Given this experience, what role do you think you will play in your first year study group?

Any suggestions on how to answer this part.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Profile for the class entering in 2008 (i.e Class of 2010). This hasn't been updated on their website yet.

MBA 2010 Class Profile
Number of students: 320
Female students: 25%
Nationalities: 60
International students: 91%
Avg age: 28
Age range: 23 - 34
Avg work exp: 5.6 years
Work exp range: 2 - 12 years
Avg GMAT: 694
GMAT range: 600 - 800
SVP
SVP
Send PM
https://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 ... night.html

I'm getting sucked back in. I may put in an app for R2 if none of my U.S. schools (Columbia, Chicago, Wharton, Tuck) materialize in R1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Any suggestions of R1 gives a better chance, than R2 and R3/ It almost looks like ED round. My profile is 12 yrs exp, 740, 33 yrs, 3.8 GPA, india.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
It's "mid-September" and I can't find the online application form on the website. Did I miss it?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Thanks! I was looking all over the Admissions section, but I see it now!
GMAT Club Bot