Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Corporate Strategy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: Leadership Potential... [#permalink]
Welcome to one of the most famous cases at HBS and Darden...

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
CharlieChaplin wrote:
So how does adcom measure the leadership potential of a candidate?

Excuse me for my ignorance but I am very confused. I believe leaders and managers (especially middle managers) are two contradictory things. Leaders have strong emotional connection to their goals, they inspire the followers with their ideology, they think in long term to make sure that solutions will have a long lasting impact on their organization. Middle managers want to meet the deadline with moderate quality. They don't inspire their sub-ordinates rather their goal is to make sure that job is done on time and upper management is happy. They don't have a long term vision as their goal is to get the work done. Leaders are selfless people whose priority is their organization. Managers look for themselves first, trying to find a way to ensure teh safety of their jobs. Leaders may sacrifice themselevs for meeting their goals, managers sacrifice their subordinates.

While most of the MBA grads will start their career as middle managers, I don't think that you actually need to have leadership qualities to be a manager. You need to know how to drive the people , with fear of losing their job or award for performance or just a feeling of working in a good team.

Quickly speaking,
Leadership at lower ranks also comes in the initiatives one takes; of course the impact is way higher if one involved more people. Since these are initiatives outside of the strictly "necessary" specifications, oftentimes one can involve peers, and other people totally outside of one's range of influence. There is therefore no need for the "office management" or symbols of authority to get in the way
GMAT Club Bot