Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a [#permalink]
I think A.

Comparison in the meaning of "similarity" use "like"

pattern : like + noun/pronoun (not sentence)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
"Amount" usually refers to quantities that cannot be counted. "Number" refers to quanties that can be counted. Since resources can be counted, "number of" rather than "amount of" should come before the word "resources." Therefore, we know that the answer cannot be A, B, or D. That leaves only C or E. Since we then have an introductory clause and, thus, we are comparing two clauses, we should use "as." That means the answer has to be E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
I think it should be B... OA pls..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2528 [0]
Send PM
i think its C because we need number of the resources and we dont need as/just like constructions here...

OA please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi mates,

This is a very tough one!!

IMO A

B out. The difference with A is "just" and for me it doesn't add anything to the sentence, therefore A is better
C out. "Like" can't be in a sentence with verb (in this case "are")
D and E out. The structure with "like" is simpler

OA and Source?

Cheers
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi mates,

This is a very tough one!!

IMO A

B out. The difference with A is "just" and for me it doesn't add anything to the sentence, therefore A is better
C out. "Like" can't be in a sentence with verb (in this case "are")
D and E out. The structure with "like" is simpler

OA and Source?

Cheers

I was between A and C as well. Given the choices I agree with John's explanation and would go for A. Ritula, Pls post the OA because this question will really help clear a few ambiguities regarding the usage of Like and As as well as the usage of Amount versus Number for count and non-count nouns (should it be AMOUNT of resources or NUMBER of RESOURCES). In informal usage I have seen "Amount of Resources" usage pass as acceptable. So that's why I have chosen A. But, I am not sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My money on A. Battle is between A and E.
E can't be right as there is absolutely no reason to put are and is(two helping verbs) for the same main verb(related). About amount-, I guess it is used here for the combo of time and resource, which could be correct as well. For example you can say amount of time and money invested in the stocks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1490 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think its a mgmat question. Here is a discussion on this question. Acording to this OA is E.

https://www.manhattangmat.net.in/forums/post22462.html

And the reasoning given is that the sentence should be like this

Like other.....the growth rate....is related to the amount of time and (amount of) resources dedicated to the endeavor.

and "amount of resources" is wrong it should be "number of resources"

can someone please explain why it cant be read like below:

Like other.....the growth rate....is related to the amount of time and (to) resources dedicated to the endeavor.

in which case it should be A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
neeshpal wrote:
can someone please explain why it cant be read like below:

Like other.....the growth rate....is related to the amount of time and (to) resources dedicated to the endeavor.

in which case it should be A.

Because it disturbs parallel structure ... we are talking of "to the amount of time" and "to resources" which are different things - one is AMOUNT of something and the other is 'Some other thing'. Besides there is change in meaning also ... resources and number of resources are not the same thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I guess this sentence is poorly structured- Putting AS and are in the start of the sentence makes no sense to me. But grammatrically mgmt is correct with the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
will go with C with A as a close second
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Send PM
My choice is E

Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.

A Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and --> amount is a modifier for such uncountable noun as time. However, in this context, it is thought to modify for resources too, but resources is countable. Thus, this choice is incorrect

B Just like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and -->just like is unidiomatically placed at the beginning of the sentence. Besides, there is the same error as that of A

C Like other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of --> Like can't stand at the beginning of a clause

D As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and --> same error as that of A althought as here is correctly placed at the beginning of the clause

E As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of --> As is correct, number of is correctly added to modify for countable resources. This choice is best
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Boils down to C and E.

As other performance indicators are - is incorrect usage. Like is the right comparison choice here. Of course a sentence can start with Like.

I'll go with C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Send PM
pbanavara wrote:
Boils down to C and E.

As other performance indicators are - is incorrect usage. Like is the right comparison choice here. Of course a sentence can start with Like.

I'll go with C

I think you have problem with the use of as in clause, re-check it more carefully !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
ritula wrote:
Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and resources dedicated to the endeavor.

A Like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and

B Just like other performance indicators, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and

C Like other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

D As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and

E As other performance indicators are, the growth rate of a start-up business is generally related to the amount of time and number of

E is the best - "the number of resources" is grammatically correct and is required here to be parallel with the amount of time
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I'll go will E ..
The As ..are and use of 'number of' makes E the right choice.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts