Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [16]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Long Debrief , from 680 to 750 in 2 months [#permalink]
anuj88.. can you give some tips to improve concentration as a whole.. also while reading the questions..
What would you suggest as the best way to go about the quants.. see that you got the 51.. any inputs..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
Long Debrief , from 680 to 750 in 2 months [#permalink]
vnigam21 wrote:
Hey,

Any strategy for RC that you followed. If you can share that, it will be great.

Hi,

I assume you are from India, did you prepare for CAT as well. IF yes, GMAT RC preparation is very similar to CAT RC preparation.

You just need to practice more and more.

The way I approach RC is that I read the entire passage at one go (in 2-3 mins). I understand the meaning of what the author is saying and how the RC as a whole is structured. Post that I answer the general questions quickly in about 0.5-1 min (Since you have read the passage you will already know the high level picture). For specific / detailed questions, I refer back to the passage and read the required portion again and answer the question in 1-1.5 min.

Remember to take lesser time per question on SC and CR , so that you can save time for RC.
Also, timing as a whole is very important in verbal. You need to be logically thinking while solving RC (and not worrying about time or under pressure to solve fast due to lack of time)
For verbal in general, I used to finish the section with 10 min remaining, so that I don't have to worry about time pressure. (This comes slowly with practice).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rash1488 wrote:
Hi,
Firstly congratulations for a great score. Can you please share your timing strategies for the quant and verbal sections. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

As you practice more and more, your speed will increase in both Quant n verbal. After sufficient practice, you will be able to solve Quant and verbal before time. (I generally used to finish each section with average 10 mins remaining). The point is, your efficiency goes down if you are constantly looking at the timer.

Quant:-

In quant you either know how to solve or you don't. If you do great, solve as fast as you can (without doing silly mistakes), and move forward. If you don't just try the best you can and mark an answer and move forward. Don't be afraid of a few wrong answers. In mocks, I generally didn't know 5-6 questions out of 37. I used to solve them as best as I could in 2 min (by making educated guesses) and move forward. Depending upon level of difficulty, 3-4 wrong will give you a 50 in Quant, which is a great score.

Verbal :-

Verbal is tricky, we do get stuck between options. When stuck,

a) in CR and RC, I used to select the 'better' of the 2 options. Which I felt had more chances of being correct.
b) In SC, i used to read both the option again and select which 'felt' better in reading.

Remember, if you don't know an answer , spend additional 30 sec thinking on it. But, if you still don't get the answer after that just mark an answer and move on. Spending, additional time on those questions would be a waste of time. Again, getting a few question wrong in verbal is ok. I used to get 6-7 wrong out of 41, and get around 39-42 in verbal. Which is a good enough score.

Tip :- Time management is a very important part of getting a good score on GMAT. The more time you have in hand, the more confident you are and the more your accuracy goes up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Feluram wrote:
anuj88.. can you give some tips to improve concentration as a whole.. also while reading the questions..
What would you suggest as the best way to go about the quants.. see that you got the 51.. any inputs..

For best way for quant, Refer to the answer above I wrote for rash1488

You can't concentrate if,

a) You are running out of time on the exam, and you constantly see the time and fear whether you can complete paper on time :- Above answer will help you in this
b) You have noise around you :- In that case buy ear buds. I used to use them so that I can study in peace. (You get ear buds in actual GMAT exam as well)
c) You have other things around you like mobile phone which distracts you :- Put your mobile on silent and keep it under the pillow. When giving CATs , tell your parents in advance and then lock the door from inside so that no one disturbs you. You should just have your laptop and a pen/paper in front of you. Nothing else. And most importantly, you need to be serious about your preparation.

Remember our body is not used to sitting for 3-4 long hours for the exam. If takes time to get used to it, so it is important to give full length CAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Long Debrief , from 680 to 750 in 2 months [#permalink]
Rahulj3113

Hey, I know it's late, but congrats!

During your first GMAT preparation, did you attempt all 4 of your GMAT prep tests?

I got 6 GMAT prep tests, exhausted them once. I wrote GMAT today and got a 660 when my target score was 720+. I need to retake it, so I am worried that I will see repeated questions when I reset my GMAT prep tests, thus inflating my scores.

Could you help me out here? Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Vig17,

It's been about 2 months since the original poster logged in to GMAT Club, so you might not receive a response from him.

As to your questions about retaking CATs, the scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all be better than they normally would be). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you use the CAT correctly).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts