Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72914 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Long time lurker, first time poster [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pjchau wrote:
Hi All,

I've lurked around the forum for some time, but as I am going to start studying for my GMATs, I was hoping to get some advice.

Here's a little bit of background on me:
GPA: 2.75 (very low. Unfortunately, I valued my social life over schooling until my last 2 years)
Major: Finance Minor: MIS
Extra Curricular: Temple University Investment Association, Financial Management Association, Rush Chair Delta Sigma Phi
Work experience: Intern at Morgan Stanley, Analyst at Pharma company.
Misc: Rated US Chess player, Classical Pianist, MENSA (awaiting application approval)

From what I've learned, it is possible to get into a Tier I school with a low GPA. That's what I'm shooting for. Unfortunately, I didn't value my education as much until I found Finance which I am extremely passionate about. I have great letters of recommendations from previous managers, professors, and mentors. I'm hoping that the faculty recommendations will help offset some of my GPA. I'm not stupid, I just didn't allocated my time right (Another point I hope to address in future entry essays).

Plan of attack: Take the GMAT prep test to see where I should be focusing on my studies. Ordering recommended books from GMATclub thread, 3-5 month study period. Take first test, then study again in areas of concern.

One area I know I will need to work on is writing. I am really good with numbers, horrible with words.

Does this sound like a good approach? Any words of advice or recommendations are highly appreciated. Even if you come off harsh, any feedback would help me a great deal. Hopefully I've done my due diligence by reading the FAQs. Thanks in advance everyone!

In my opinion, you can potentially offset a low GPA with a great GMAT score (I am talking 750+ here). GMAT tests your aptitude, application of fundamentals, reasoning i.e. higher order thinking. Many of us value our social and extra curricular life more than academic life in college. Also, college examinations are more a test of 'learn and repeat' than our intelligence. Therefore, a great GMAT score speaks volumes of your potential and can help you convince the admissions committee of a top 10 that you actually do deserve in place in their school. You will need to address the issue of low GPA in one of the essays and you will need to make your essays interesting and lively (everyone does but you will just have to put some extra effort so that they do not put you in an 'objective comparison' pile. You need to directly go in the 'call for interview' pile). Try and take more positions of responsibility in your job. That will help you put up better stories too. I think your extra currics are decent.
Given Kudos:
Hi Karishma,

I really appreciate your feedback. I hope to get at least a 720 on my GMATs. I might look into getting a tutor. Hopefully my extras outside of work will be helpful. I definitely think I need improvement on my writing. Your feedback definitely helped me understand what I need to do in order to achieve this goal.

Does anyone think international experience might help at all?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
You're going to need 720+ gmat for a T10 school based on your GPA. The EC's, while important, are not going to be make or break unless you're in a leadership role there. My advise is to get promotions and advancement on your resume with your employer... have rounded out EC's and get a 720+ gmat. Use optional essay to show your lack of maturity which you had during undergrad but now prioritize your career and have demonstrated excellence at work and are capable based on gmat. goodluck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Quote:
MENSA (awaiting application approval)

Don't put this on your CV; It makes you come off as being conceited and smug...
Given Kudos:
Hi Lost!

Thanks for the input! I will definitely try to get my GMAT score up there. The optional essay should help out..

Hi shanghaiZZle!

Its actually not included on my CV, for the exact reason you gave. I just thought I would note it as my application should be approved. I also wanted to see if there were any other extra curriculars that I should try out. Hopefully I didn't come off conceited or smug in my post....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Reread your post. My suggestion... go to Manhattan GMAT (I'm no way affiliated with MGMAT) and download their course syllabus (free) and go to amazon.com and order the newest edition complete set of 8... follow their syllabus for daily homework and learning and you should be fine... you can take the course if you want but really if you understand the concepts it's not that much more of a value-add (really need to do inner evaluation here if you're disciplined). I still hold firm a 720 + is probably necessary and that promotions / progress in your career are critical. The last piece would be a good story (whether it's true or not... it has to be logical and sound for where you came from and where you want to go) which you can build upon through referencing historical essays (65 admitted harvard essay for example).

Definitely leave off the mensa thing, I agree there... I have 141 IQ and for some reason I don't qualify?! Off the soap-box :P It doesn't add value :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
pjchau wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I really appreciate your feedback. I hope to get at least a 720 on my GMATs. I might look into getting a tutor. Hopefully my extras outside of work will be helpful. I definitely think I need improvement on my writing. Your feedback definitely helped me understand what I need to do in order to achieve this goal.

Does anyone think international experience might help at all?

What you do is important, where you do it, not so much.
That said, it definitely adds value since it makes you more aware of the world and might give you more interesting stories to narrate in your essays. The exposure definitely has a positive influence, but on you. On the admissions committee, international experience on its own is not much of a value-add. Think about it - if you do what you are doing right now in another country, should it add value to your candidacy? What will add value is taking up different roles and showing progress in your career.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
pjchau wrote:
Hi All,

Here's a little bit of background on me:

GPA: 2.75 (very low. Unfortunately, I valued my social life over schooling until my last 2 years)

You did the right thing, you won't have much of a social life after getting a Tier 1 MBA anyway.

For gmat, take a test, find out your weakness. Improving your weakness can take longer time than you think.
GMAT Club Bot