Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 23:20 It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3675 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Low AWA Score Question [#permalink]
Your 750 score is solid and while your writing score is lower than expected, it's not terrible. You're still above 4.0. And it's more important to critically assess/read information than it is to present ideas clearly and well-organized. Though, certain jobs may certainly value that organization ability...but it's not as crucial as reasoning skills tested on the GMAT. A minimum threshold should suffice.

Could it hurt your chances of acceptance? Sure..but these are not things to worry about. You're better off spending your time finding a good way to present your application overall and your story. Why business school? Why somebody of your background?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65251 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tsin5198 wrote:
Hello all,

I just received my official GMAT score report and was shocked and disappointed to see my AWA score of 4.5. My other scores were all quite good- 42 Verbal, 49 Quant, 8 Integrated Reasoning, 750 Total. I know I did not perform my best on the essay, as my nerves on this first section got the best of me. However, I did not expect to score so low as the 39th percentile. I am confident that I am a good writer and have good control of grammar, as evidenced by my 96th percentile verbal score.

I don't think I will retake the test because of this, as I have read that as long as you receive a 4.0 or higher, the business schools don't really care about it. However, I am targeting top-10 MBA programs such as Columbia, MIT, Wharton, Booth, etc., and am worried that this low score could harm my acceptance chances. Would it be worth it to have my essay re-scored? Does this often result in score increases? I can't imagine I wrote an essay that actually deserved to be in the 39th percentile.

Any thoughts/advice would be very appreciated!

Thank you.

You need to worry about 'Below Average' scores only.

Your AWA score is 'Average'
All your other scores are 'Above Average'

Kindly move on to your application. That will be the deciding factor, not an average score on an essay not many schools care about (think about it - GMAC used to give 2 essays; they scrapped one; why? not only because reasoning is more important but also because essays are less important)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you all for your advice! I think I will have my essay re-scored, but will not worry too much if it does not go up.

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot