Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.07
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Low GMAT Quant Score - pulled score down [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi red02,

To start, NO Business School requires a score of 750+, so you have to be mindful that the Score that you 'want' and the Score that you 'need' are likely not the same thing. You might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your Official GMAT. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Raising a 640 to a 750+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No school would require a score of 750 and above, I've set that target after looking at posts regarding favourable scores for an Indian IT background. I understand other parts of my application would have to be great too, and it is possible for a person with a lower score to be admitted.

I want to join business school in 2020 or 2021. Haven't decided on specific schools yet, I would say those which commonly make the various World Top 30 lists. I'm open to programs in the US, UK and Singapore. I'm also interested in multi-campus business schools.

I can study for about 7-10 hours a day everyday till mid July.

Thank you for your help!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi red02,

In your original post, you mentioned that you might retake the GMAT in July if your June Score was too low. When exactly are you next scheduled to take the GMAT?

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on what you've described, you've been studying for about 1 month - and if you retake the GMAT in June, then your total study time would likely be under 2 months. This is meant to say that to score at a significantly higher level, you might end up needing more study time than you've currently planned for - without trying to 'cram.' You have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study. Putting in 7-10 hours of study each day would likely be too much - and might lead to 'burn out' (which is something that you want to avoid).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich

I'm scheduled to take an exam on 24th June. For July, probably some day between 15th and 23rd.

I gave 2 GMAT Club CATs yesterday, and 2 today.
Yesterday - V41, Q48
Today - V35, Q42

Found today's quant CAT as hard as my May Gmat exam :/
Similar score too
Yesterday's didn't feel as difficult

Have been through yesterday's test answers, have to go through today's
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi red02,

With a June 24th Test Date, you have less than 3 weeks of study time remaining. Unfortunately, there isn't a reasonable way to increase a 640 to a consistent performance in the mid-700s in such a short period of time. You could potentially make that type of improvement over a longer study period (and a Test Date in mid-July would accommodate that type of plan).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 3.5 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. The fluctuations in your practice Scores are partially due to the inconsistent nature in which you're taking those Exams.

No one here can say for sure what YOUR 'peak' GMAT Score is, but whatever that number ultimately is, you will have to make some significant adjustments to how you handle this entire process to hit that Score.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Low GMAT Quant Score - pulled score down [#permalink]
I was wondering what is the maximum number of incorrect answers one can make for V51. Also, how to possibly maximize my quant score with my shortcomings.

Bought GMAT Official Prep Exams 3-6 after the early July 2018 update of the site (all these tests were online).

Test 3 : June 12 - 730 - V41 Q48
Verbal - 7 incorrect
Quant - 8 incorrect (including 26, 27, 29, 30), 31 unattempted

Test 4 : June 16 - 740 - V41 Q49
Verbal - 6 Incorrect
Quant - 6 Incorrect

Test 5 : June 18 - 720 - V42 Q47
Verbal - 6 Incorrect, 36 unattempted
Quant - 6 incorrect, 29-31 unattempted

Test 6 : June 22 - 780 - V51 Q49
Verbal - 0 incorrect
Quant - 3 incorrect (23, 25, 29) and 31 was unattempted. Marked 30 without submitting, was counted as a correct answer in the review
This test definitely feels like an outlier

I noticed the requirements for Q49 varied a lot. Can it possibly be attributed to leaving questions unanswered?

Have been taking the entire exam at once, at the time my exam is scheduled (unfortunately in the morning). Mainly struggling with time now, sometimes 5-6 questions on verbal are rushed or the last 1-2 are marked without reading. Last 10 questions in quant tend to be rushed and some marked without reading (same option, usually C, for all). Need to ensure I attempt all questions :(

Doing the GMAT Club Quant CATs helped quite a bit after the previous attempt (did 10 till now). Got used to seeing difficult questions and time management has improved (still terrible though)

Any tips on time management and when in the test to mark and move on? Guess in the middle of the test or at the end? Alternate questions or last 5 etc
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just an update
Got a 740 in the June 2018 attempt

V42 Q49, AWA5 IR6

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM