Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Low GMAT Score (590) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sonal2410,

Although I do not have much information regarding how you have been preparing, here is a helpful article you can check out that provides some advice on how to move forward with your prep.

The Best Way to Study for the GMAT

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sonal2410 wrote:
I have been preparing for past 2 months but it has all been in vain, I recently took 1 GMAT official practice test and score 590 (Q43, V28). I have almost finished the OG and have been doing the online version of it, timing myself, however, I am unable to score well in mocks. When I analyze my test, I can see that some questions were purely due to silly mistakes, and in most cases I am unable to apply logic. In verbal, I panic and am unable to concentrate. I don't know what material to follow or how to proceed from here. Need urgent help.

Hi Sonal2410,

Let me share my thoughts here. Official guide is a good collection of Questions, so definitely it is a very good book for practising questions, but it shouldn't be your starting point for preparation. Let me explain why

When it comes to scoring well on GMAT, a student has to go through 3 skill levels

Skill Level 1 (the easiest one) - Having a strong grasp over concepts

This is the most fundamental aspect and hence needs to be done first. The OG won't do a good job at this because it just touches upon the concepts tested on GMAT and hence isn't enough. Remember that this skill level will only take you to a 550-600 kind of a level on GMAT. For a higher score, you need to move to Skill Level 2. Let's see what it is.

Skill Level 2 (the most ignored one) -
Learning a methodical approach

Most students jump from concepts to directly solving questions without realizing that GMAT requires them to be methodical and logical. Hence, it is important that you learn the right method to solve various questions. For example, in order to solve 2 linear simultaneous equations, you need to start by equating a set of co-efficient and then eliminating that variable and so on. Now, video lessons alone won't help you to develop a methodical approach. You need to have a structured resource that follows a consistent approach and focuses a lot on teaching it. Sadly, such resources are scarce. If you develop a methodical approach, your score will be in the vicinity of the 650-720 mark.

Skill Level 3 (commonly focused one) - Working on Gaps/weaknesses

Another thing that most students follow but they do so before even working on Skill Level 2. Ideally you need to maintain an error log to ensure you keep track of your weak areas and work on them as and when needed.

Skill 3 is mostly where the OG fits perfectly. I hope this post helps and gives you some perspective about effective preparation.

You can check out how Akshay improved his score from 540 to 710 while working full time and got an admit from ESADE to get some success tips from his journey:

Feel free to connect if you have any questions your preparation. I will be happy to help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Ross '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Hi,

Never lose hope & keep trying for your target score. Your diligence and consistency are very well tested by the GMAT exam, right away from the preparation time. Keep up the good work and be positive.

Nothing is impossible.

Practice, Strategize, Excel...
Hope it helps!
GMAT Club Bot