Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Baer - I think your theory is interesting and it may explain why some people w/ low GPA's go to b-school. I had a low GPA, and in my case when I graduated school I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do, and I wasn't particulary concerned about a career either, so for me career focus and ambition didn't come until later and now that I know what I want, an MBA will be a key element in getting there.

So I imagine a lot of people w/ low GPA's were people like me who spent their college years and immediate years afterward not too worried about their careers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
Re: Low GPA and desire for an MBA [#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:

Of course I dont know why you would be wanting to move out of the fashion industry ;)

I might not want to do that: If I get an MBA from my target schools, I'd definitely be on the track for an executive management position; I'm already on that track, but an MBA would take about 10 years off the process.

I have great hours, work on interesting projects, and deal with interesting people. I'm not even going to go into the amount of free clothes and unbelievably hot girls. Job security is outstanding as well; people at my company were joking the other day that they can't remember anyone ever getting laid off.

However, the drawbacks are low money for first 10-12 years in the industry and promotion is done at a snails pace. Most people resort to switching companies every two years for small promotions. This is the part I can't stand and the reason why I'm so antsy for an MBA.

However my #1 problem with the industry is the lack of a "culture of money".

I'm way too competitive, entreprenurial, and incentive focused to not work in such an enviorment. Getting an MBA would push me to the upper echelons of a company where my personal goals would be more inline with the focus there.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interesting, but I somewhat do not agree.

All the top 5% of my shool, which is a top 3 engineering school on my country, already attended b-school, all of them with excelente GPA. Although it may be true in US perhaps in other countries the path is way much different. Also in some industries/companies is necessary to have a degree: consulting and IB are some examples.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Baer - I think your theory is interesting and it may explain why some people w/ low GPA's go to b-school. I had a low GPA, and in my case when I graduated school I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do, and I wasn't particulary concerned about a career either, so for me career focus and ambition didn't come until later and now that I know what I want, an MBA will be a key element in getting there.

So I imagine a lot of people w/ low GPA's were people like me who spent their college years and immediate years afterward not too worried about their careers.

Tend to agree with this, even if the low GPA bit is discounted. When I started out with my undergrad course, and even when I landed a job, I was not clear about what I wanted to do. Was just drifting along knowing that I had to do *something*, but without an inkling of what that *something* was.

Till now, of course... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I do not want to agree with this theory, but it seems to make sense. However, there are plenty of people that do not see themselves as doctors or lawyers. I love business and I would have dreaded Med/Law school. There is an interesting thread about the # of lawyers pursuing MBAs to change fields. You do not see many MBAs going to law school. I think people that get MBAs actually know what they want, and Law/Med school just seems like a logical choice at the time that many people end up dreading.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]