Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: LSAT MATERIAL [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hatakekakashi wrote:
All i have heard was practice LSAT material which is tougher than the GMAT material and you will sail through GMAT CR/RC.

Hi Hatakekakashi,

There are a couple of issues here to discuss:

1) You're not the first person to hear that idea about studying with LSAT materials (and you won't be the last) - but it's an idea that's often misunderstood. LSAT Test Takers who score at a high level on LSAT LR and RC almost universally find GMAT CR and RC to be easier by comparison (since the GMAT versions of those question types are far more limited in 'scope' than their LSAT counterparts). However, that does NOT mean that someone who is studying for the GMAT should study with LSAT materials.

2) GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability; Business School Admissions Officers know this. As such, a 710 and a 720 are essentially the same score (and Business School Admissions Officers know THAT too). This is meant to say that scoring a 720 instead of a 710 will almost certainly not help strengthen your application in the way that you might think it will. Scoring at a much higher level (re: 750+) MIGHT help you, but at competitive Programs the strength of your OVERALL application (and not just your GMAT score) along with your ability to properly 'market yourself' are what matter.

A 710/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. If you do choose to retest, then you really have to 'nitpick' WHY you've gotten questions wrong in the past. How many of those wrong answers were because of silly/little mistakes and how many were because the question was just too difficult?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hatakekakashi wrote:
All i have heard was practice LSAT material which is tougher than the GMAT material and you will sail through GMAT CR/RC.

Hi Hatakekakashi,

There are a couple of issues here to discuss:

1) You're not the first person to hear that idea about studying with LSAT materials (and you won't be the last) - but it's an idea that's often misunderstood. LSAT Test Takers who score at a high level on LSAT LR and RC almost universally find GMAT CR and RC to be easier by comparison (since the GMAT versions of those question types are far more limited in 'scope' than their LSAT counterparts). However, that does NOT mean that someone who is studying for the GMAT should study with LSAT materials.

2) GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability; Business School Admissions Officers know this. As such, a 710 and a 720 are essentially the same score (and Business School Admissions Officers know THAT too). This is meant to say that scoring a 720 instead of a 710 will almost certainly not help strengthen your application in the way that you might think it will. Scoring at a much higher level (re: 750+) MIGHT help you, but at competitive Programs the strength of your OVERALL application (and not just your GMAT score) along with your ability to properly 'market yourself' are what matter.

A 710/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. If you do choose to retest, then you really have to 'nitpick' WHY you've gotten questions wrong in the past. How many of those wrong answers were because of silly/little mistakes and how many were because the question was just too difficult?

Rich

Hi Rich ,
i have mulled over it a lot and finally went ahead and booked my slot . I have my GMAT retake in May so roughly about 70 odd days till my retake , i want to utilise that time in scoring around the 99th percentile . Target Score - 740 to 760 . Any leads as to how to go about that , and from May till September , i believe i can work towards target schools and build my resume accordingly

I am planning to get my ESR for the GMAT i have taken and to sit down and look at my weaknesses and proceed ahead in strengthening those areas

Regards,
HK
VP
VP
Send PM
LSAT MATERIAL [#permalink]
Hatakekakashi wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hatakekakashi,

While there are some Test Takers and Experts who believe that using LSAT materials during their studies is a good idea, I am NOT one of them. While LSAT LR has a lot in common with GMAT CR (and LSAT RC has a lot in common with GMAT RC), there are enough differences to make those LSAT resources less than ideal. To start, the LSAT includes a wider range of question types and 'design logic' than the GMAT does, so you'd be learning/practicing ideas that you will NOT face on the Official GMAT. To be clear, that doesn't necessarily mean that LSAT LR/RC is 'harder' - you'll just be wasting your time on concepts that you won't be tested on during the GMAT. In addition, most LSAT prompts are presented in print (and you can solve them with pencil-and-paper) - NEITHER of those aspects is realistic relative to how you have to deal with the Official GMAT. Finally, there are plenty of useful GMAT resources to be had, so there's no good reason to be using LSAT resources during your GMAT studies.

1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Hi Rich ,
I have seen https://www.empowergmat.com/score-booster/ now and it states that 70 point improvement or don't pay. Can i avail such scheme or how does it work for people who have scored 700+ . Kindly help in providing details , will sign up if it interest me . TIA

Edit: 650-790: Score Improvement Guarantee Coverage (beat your prior score) what does this exactly mean and how much do you charge?

Regards,
HK
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hatakekakashi,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot