Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 07:12 It is currently 08 May 2024, 07:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: M.S. in Accounting for Non-Accounting Undergrads [#permalink]
method wrote:
Just looking through the websites real quick, I can tell you that Cal State Fullerton and Cal State LA both will admit you into the program, and then you will begin taking your "pre-requisites." San Jose State didn't give enough information, so I would contact the admissions office directly. My guess is that the admissions rates for these programs are very high and not something you should be concerned about. The strength of your app will decide how much money they give you, not whether you get in.

I'm currently doing a MSA at Missouri-Kansas City before pursuing my MBA, and we have a similar setup. My friend Ben was a music undergrad so he has to take 30 or so general business credits on top of 30 advanced accounting credits. Whereas my undergrad was a BBA in Management Information Systems, so I have the general business section waived. We are both program admits with access to the same scholarships and financial aid.

Typically speaking, no one does a MSA unless they're hunting for a CPA license. As part of your research, I would advise you to consider a MBA program if you're only looking at doing one masters degree. To sit for the exam in California, you'll need 150 semester hours, 24 in accounting, and 24 in business. An MBA program is typically 36 hours total, so if you only took accounting electives, you would only be short 12 hours in either accounting or business. You could knock the 12 out during the summer semester instead of an internship -- not sure how important that would be in your situation.

Anyways, just something to consider as you look! With a 3.45 GPA and a 700+ GMAT you would be a very strong candidate @ UCLA Anderson and USC Marshall. If you can nail a 740+ GMAT with great soft factors you could have an outside shot at Berkeley Haas, but Haas is hard for anyone to get into really.

Missing the internship summer in an MBA program almost defeats the purpose of an MBA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
By all means, if you find yourself in a similar situation, simply pursue a MSA to get your CPA. If it were me, I'd rather have a CPA and MBA for my two years. Ultimately, it's up to the poster to judge which path makes sense for him. But I will say that if the poster is pursuing a career in public accounting, a Big 4 job is certainly well within the reach of a no-internship MBA who meets CPA exam requirements. Investment banking, maybe not so much.

And to Andreweng, define "competitive". A quick search shows me that the average GMAT/GPA for CSUF is 550/3.2 and the average GMAT/GPA is 555/3.22. To my previous point, if the original poster is a 700 GMAT type candidate, admissions will not be a problem.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Method, out of all the CSU schools in the bay area, SJSU accepts only non-accounting major applicants, and as a result fewer students. When I say competitive, I mean there's a rush of highly qualified candidates applying for limited spots, and unfortunately not every student who even meets the minimum GMAT/GPA requirements (550/3.00) will be admitted. There's a greater demand for seating than supply of space. Overall, I agree that someone with a high gmat score over 700 will get into any CSU MS program.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
I understand, but just for clarification ... the numbers I posted were the averages of enrolled students, not the minimums for applying.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Method and Andreweng - thank you so much for your helpful information on CSULA, Fullerton, and SJSU! :) (As well the field in general.)

I just took the practice exam and got a 710 -- so hopefully I can keep that up (maybe even raise it a bit) for the real test!

Thank you for your perspective on MBA vs. MSA too! I was considering an MBA, but my fear is that most of the schools require (or at the very least, hint that they want) a solid professional work record -- which I don't have much of, sadly. I've had a few retail/coffee shop jobs here and there, though I was a supervisor. Better than nothing, but I'm not convinced that's what they're looking for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Great job on your practice. That is a great score!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone have experience interviewing for the MSA program at SJSU?

I have an interview this week and I'm pretty nervous since interviewing is one of my greatest weakness. Any information about the

MSA interview, the types of questions, or application will be appreciated.

Thank you so much!! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts