GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M07-18

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59725
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 22:36
shishirkum wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. hi, the question tells us that there is 1 viper & 1 snakes per box. So, the question asks how many cobras are there. this means that the question is asking to find out the total no of cobras. Isn't it?


We need to know how many cobras are in the box. And the info given in (1) tells us that there must be exactly one cobra in the box.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 4
Reviews Badge
M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 10:30
my two cents...

Try to think this way -
Condition: four snakes in the box (V, V, C, C).

Scenario 1: I put my hands inside the box and pull out 1C and 1V, Stat 1 satisfied and so does condition in question stem.
Scenario 2: I put my hands inside the box and pull out 1V and 1V, Stat 1 satisfies and so does condition in question stem.
Scenario 3: I put my hands inside the box and pull out 1C and 1C, Is this scenario possible without violating Stat 1? NO. If we consider stat 1 as true, this scenario fails.

PS: Stat 1 means if we pull two snakes from the box, both can be V or atleast one SHOULD be V.
Similarly, we can have "n" number of snakes inside the box. But, if we consider stat 1, we are bound to have only one cobra.

Stat 2: Not relevant.

Ans: A
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 14
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 08:58
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Hi there, so for (1) in my opinion let us assume it is 2 snakes only in the box. it could be 1 cobra and 1 viper or 2 vipers and 0 cobras. two potential solutions. Or do you say because of the first sentence *there is atl east one viper and at least one cobra in the box* this tells us the other one must for sure be a cobra?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 14
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 11:00
Probably shows something about my personality trait :) thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2015
Posts: 86
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 01:39
Hi Bunuel, I think the wording - from any two snakes at least one is viper is the trick. Had it been from any three at least one is viper then I think it wont be sufficient. Correct?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 14
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 05:17
Hi rakaisraka,

exactly. Because the first statement clearly informs us that at least one is a cobra and one a viper, that means if there were 2 only and if one is a viper the other one must be a cobra. So for those type of questions, it is crucial to NOT ignore the initial statement.

Bunuel, correct?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Reviews Badge
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 08:03
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 22:32
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Status: I Declare War!!!
Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 230
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 16:00
Hi!
Just to ask...
st 1 says atleast... so there could me one... and more also..
how can we stick to just one question..
thanks
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 173
Location: Brazil
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 08:52
dukenukem wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
KPMM07 wrote:
I think this question is poor and not helpful.


Please elaborate on this. The question is perfectly valid, though quite hard.


Interesting solution, but not sure how this is math (not counting/probability/algebra/arithmetic etc.)
More like it was a question testing your logical deduction.


I agree with you!

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com.br/2011/02 ... -some.html

One thing that got me to this question is the meaning of at least which means some ranging from few, several or many up to "all".

So, if "at least" ranges from 1 to "all",

but "all" is unreachable for every two pairs - because the constraint from the question stem said c>=1,

then the remaining is "at most."

Now, stretch the logic and test it to a greater number of "snakes". :!:

Is this a 800+ question? :shock:
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 46
Location: Poland
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 02:41
I think it is a very nice question. It is challenging but it teaches you to very carefully read the questions stems.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 15:25
Just to make it simple, statement 1) assumes that possibility of getting 2 cobras when choosing a pair = 0.

From the question stem, there must be at least one cobra in the box. Therefore, at minimum, there must be 1 cobra.

However, if there were more than 1 cobra, there is still a chance to pick 2 cobras no matter how many vipers there are.

Even if we have 1,000 vipers to 2 cobras, probability of picking a pair and ending up with 2 cobras is not 0, although it's quite close to it.

Since statement says that you are getting at least one viper, it means that there can only be one cobra.

For example, if you had 1,000 vipers and 2 cobras and you picked 1 cobra.

Now the probability of picking another cobra becomes 1/1001 (1001 = 1000 vipers + 2 cobras - 1 cobra which was just picked). It is still not 0 and you can still end up with 2 cobras in a pair.

Therefore, there can only be 1 cobra.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Posts: 20
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 06:47
I answered this one incorrectly but after reading the explanation it's all become so clear.

Just imagine a box full of snakes - you can see all of them crawling there. Try and take 2 cobras out of it - you won't be able to because it will violate Statement (1). You can only take 1 cobra out. There can't be 0 cobras either based on the same statement. Therefore, 1 cobra.

A very nice question IMHO.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Nov 2016
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.93
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 05:12
I think it is a very good question that makes you think, I got it wrong but after reading through the discussion, it was clear. Just as a deduction:
Would it mean that there are only two cobras if the first statement was:
From any three snakes, there is at least one viper .......
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 22:25
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I get that since out of the two snakes picked atleast one is viper. That makes another pick a cobra for sure. But this does not tell me about the number of cobras that the pandora box has.

According to the solution I agree that 1 cobra is for sure, but there could be 2, 3, . . 9, 10, 11 . . 100, etc out which one cobra, definitly, finds a place in the pic.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59725
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 22:29
rajeshkpandey wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I get that since out of the two snakes picked atleast one is viper. That makes another pick a cobra for sure. But this does not tell me about the number of cobras that the pandora box has.

According to the solution I agree that 1 cobra is for sure, but there could be 2, 3, . . 9, 10, 11 . . 100, etc out which one cobra, definitly, finds a place in the pic.


How can there be more than 1 cobra if from ANY two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper?

Please read the previous pages of the discussion.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Oct 2016
Posts: 35
Schools: HEC Dec '17
Re M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 11:52
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Location: Australia
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 23:14
This is a Brilliant question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 37
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 10:51
I am still confused. The question states there is at least 1 cobra and 1 viper, and asks about the number of cobras.
(1) says From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.
This means at most, there is 1 cobra from any two snakes. But we are still missing the total number of snakes, and "At least 1" does not mean "it is 1". What am I missing?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59725
Re: M07-18  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 11:56
mitko20m wrote:
I am still confused. The question states there is at least 1 cobra and 1 viper, and asks about the number of cobras.
(1) says From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper.
This means at most, there is 1 cobra from any two snakes. But we are still missing the total number of snakes, and "At least 1" does not mean "it is 1". What am I missing?


This is a hard logical question.

(1) From any two snakes from Pandora's box at least one is a viper. Since from ANY two snakes one is a viper then there cannot be 2 (or more) cobras and since there is at least one cobra then there must be exactly one cobra in the box. Sufficient.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M07-18   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2017, 11:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 129 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

M07-18

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne