Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [28]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [6]
Send PM
Re: M10-24 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shettyshruthi wrote:
Why isnt it 12?

We need at least 2 tablets of A and at least 2 tablets of B. With 12 picks we could have a case when we picked ALL 12 tablets of B (since there are 15 of them) and thus the condition will be violated.

Check other Worst Case Scenario Questions from our Special Questions Directory to practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hi,

is there a chapter on min/max problems on gmatclub maths theory book?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
npin2 wrote:
Hi,

No. But you c an check the questions.

DS: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... &tag_id=42
PS: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... &tag_id=63

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
npin2 wrote:
Hi,

Hope it helps.

thanks Bunuel. Why is the answer not 4? As per my understanding, it asks us the least number of tablets that can be extracted and there should be two of each type, so in that case answer should be 4. Please help.

I did check the questions you mentioned but that doesn't give me any insight into what's wrong in my understanding of this question.

Regards,
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
npin2 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
npin2 wrote:
Hi,

Hope it helps.

thanks Bunuel. Why is the answer not 4? As per my understanding, it asks us the least number of tablets that can be extracted and there should be two of each type, so in that case answer should be 4. Please help.

I did check the questions you mentioned but that doesn't give me any insight into what's wrong in my understanding of this question.

Regards,

We need to guarantee that at least two tablets of each kind are among the extracted. For 4 picks there is no guarantee that at least two tablets of each kind are among the extracted. What if all 4 are of medicine A or all 4 are of medicine B or 3 are of one medicine and 1 is of another?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA Center
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Education)
Send PM
(C). To ensure that at least two tablets of each kind are among the extracted, we need to consider the worst-case scenario. Let's assume that we initially pick all the tablets of medicine B, ie 15, and then start picking tablets of medicine A. In the worst-case scenario, we would need to pick all 15 tablets of medicine B. After that, we can start picking tablets of medicine A. To guarantee that we have at least two tablets of medicine A, we need to pick two additional tablets. Therefore, the minimum number of tablets that should be taken is 15 (medicine B) + 2 (medicine A) = 17

So, the correct answer is C. 17 tablets.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

I have a confusion. For example: if I pick all 10 tablets of A first, then pick 2 tablets of B from the box, the minimum number of tablets removed would be 12. In this case, I follow the condition of picking at least 2 tablets of each type of medicine. So, why 12 isn't the answer?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
SBD98 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I have a confusion. For example: if I pick all 10 tablets of A first, then pick 2 tablets of B from the box, the minimum number of tablets removed would be 12. In this case, I follow the condition of picking at least 2 tablets of each type of medicine. So, why 12 isn't the answer?

The reason 12 isn't the correct answer is that it depends on a specific order of removal (all 10 of A first, then 2 of B). The question asks for a number that guarantees at least two of each type, regardless of the order. This doubt has been addressed in the thread, and for further practice, you can refer to other Worst Case Scenario Questions from our Special Questions Directory to practice.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619112 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
SBD98 wrote:
A box contains 10 tablets of Medicine A and 15 tablets of Medicine B. What is the minimum number of tablets that need to be removed from the box to guarantee that at least two tablets of each type are among the ones extracted?

A. 12
B. 15
C. 17
D. 19
E. 21

The worst-case scenario would occur if we remove all 15 tablets of medicine B first. In this scenario, we would still not have any tablets of medicine A. However, the next two tablets we remove must be of Medicine A. Therefore, to guarantee that at least two tablets of each type will be taken, we should remove a minimum of \(15+2=17\) tablets.

Answer: C

Hi Bunuel,

The reason 12 isn't the correct answer is that it depends on a specific order of removal (all 10 of A first, then 2 of B). The question asks for a number that guarantees at least two of each type, regardless of the order. This doubt has been addressed in the thread, and for further practice, you can refer to other Worst Case Scenario Questions from our Special Questions Directory to practice.

To elaborate further, it's important to recognize that the tablets can be removed in many different orders. Ideally, the best case scenario to meet the requirement of removing at least two tablets of each type would involve immediately removing 2 tablets of Medicine A and 2 tablets of Medicine B. However, this specific order of removal is not guaranteed. What we need to determine is a number of draws that, regardless of the order of removal, will always ensure that at least two tablets of each type are extracted. Hence, to guarantee that at least two tablets of each type are removed under any sequence, it becomes necessary to consider the worst-case scenario, which would be most unfavorable removing order.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts