Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [24]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [11]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [2]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [1]
Send PM
Re: M13-37 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CoffeeNCream wrote:
Hi Bunuel, beautiful question.

Question - In approaching this, I had 6 slots, 2 for each couple of husband and wife

First slot, husband has 1/9 probability of choosing a specific dessert, wife also has 1/9 of choosing that same dessert.

Why is the dessert the husband chooses 1 instead of 1/9?

Thank you for your time. I’ve been doing GMATClub quant tests and if anyone is reading this, don’t hesitate, buy it and study it. It is an amazing resource and the solutions and then discussions are amazing. Thank you for all you do Bunuel and team GMATClub!

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

At a restaurant, three couples are preparing to order dessert. If there are 9 different desserts on the menu, what is the probability that the husband and wife of each couple will order the same dessert? Note that while each couple is required to order the same dessert, this dessert does not need to match the one ordered by the other couples.

A. \(\frac{6}{9^3}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{9^3}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{9^3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{9^6}\)
E. \(\frac{6}{9^6}\)

For each couple, there's a 1/9 chance the wife will order the same dessert as her husband. With three couples, the combined probability is:

\(\frac{1}{9} *\frac{1}{9} *\frac{1}{9} = \frac{1}{9^3} \).

Answer: C

­
A husband can choose ANY dessert from the 9, so the probability of that is 1. The probability that his wife will choose the same dessert is 1/9.

Or think about this in this way: the husband has a 1/9 probability of choosing some specific desserts, say pavlova, his wife has a 1/9 chance to also choose pavlova. However, we have 9 different desserts and for each, we'd have the same probability of 1/9*1/9, making the overall probability that the husband and wife will choose the same dessert is 9*1/9*1/9 = 1/9.­

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
i think ans should be -

Probability- 1/9 *1/8*1/7

as 1st couple is already selected 1 desert and now 2nd couple need to select 1 desert from 8 and for 3rd couple need to select 1 desert from 7.???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mohit1994 wrote:
i think ans should be -

Probability- 1/9 *1/8*1/7

as 1st couple is already selected 1 desert and now 2nd couple need to select 1 desert from 8 and for 3rd couple need to select 1 desert from 7.???

Why? Why cannot all three couples order the same dessert? Are desserts running out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
As mentioned in the question that -- this dessert does not need to match the one ordered by the other couples.
so each desert selected by every couple shld be different right ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
M13-37 [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel, beautiful question.

Question - In approaching this, I had 6 slots, 2 for each couple of husband and wife

First slot, husband has 1/9 probability of choosing a specific dessert, wife also has 1/9 of choosing that same dessert.

Why is the dessert the husband chooses 1 instead of 1/9?

Thank you for your time. I’ve been doing GMATClub quant tests and if anyone is reading this, don’t hesitate, buy it and study it. It is an amazing resource and the solutions and then discussions are amazing. Thank you for all you do Bunuel and team GMATClub!

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

At a restaurant, three couples are preparing to order dessert. If there are 9 different desserts on the menu, what is the probability that the husband and wife of each couple will order the same dessert? Note that while each couple is required to order the same dessert, this dessert does not need to match the one ordered by the other couples.

A. \(\frac{6}{9^3}\)
B. \(\frac{3}{9^3}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{9^3}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{9^6}\)
E. \(\frac{6}{9^6}\)

For each couple, there's a 1/9 chance the wife will order the same dessert as her husband. With three couples, the combined probability is:

\(\frac{1}{9} *\frac{1}{9} *\frac{1}{9} = \frac{1}{9^3} \).

Answer: C

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
M13-37 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92990 posts