Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HBS '19 (D)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Manhattan Quant Algorithm vs The Real GMAT Algorithm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi OsmosisJ,

Unfortunately, the GMAT scoring Algorithm is more complicated than the "get more questions correct at a higher level and you'll score higher" idea than you're talking about. As such, you shouldn't be thinking in those terms. The 4 Quant Scaled Scores that you listed are all remarkably close to one another, which means that you're responding to the Quant section in the same general ways each time that you take it - you do certain things consistently well, but you're also making the same consistent mistakes. This is all meant to say that you should focus on 'fixing' the little mistakes that you're making (regardless of the implied difficulty level of the question that you make the mistake on) before you put too much further effort into higher level questions.

Once you've taken that next CAT, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. I have identified some question types that I am consistently struggling with so I will work on those for this week. I will provide you with another update as soon as I complete my first GMAC mock.

Thanks,
OsmosisJ
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I just took the first GMAT mock test a couple of days ago and scored a 45 on the Quant section. As per your advice I spent the majority of my time working on the basics and I think it really helped.

I have found however that I am having issues with Data Sufficiency questions where I have to 'visualize' the answer a bit more (e.g. number lines, primes, number properties). I seem to be confusing myself when testing numbers or trying to conceptualize the answer and therefore fall into common traps. I was wondering if I could get some guidance on the best method to work through these types of problems, if it is a matter of just doing more questions of this type or trying to get a deeper conceptual understanding (although it seems to be a mix of the two from how I feel doing the question).

I think a Quant score of around 49 should be enough for me so any tips on how to go up a few more levels would be great.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Nathan
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Nathan,

Scoring a Q49+ isn't really about 'tips' as it is knowing/using the proper Tactics, doing the necessary work on the pad (and not 'in your head') and working on the 'precision' in your work (to eliminate little mistakes that are costing you points). A Q45 means that you were really good at most of the 'math questions' that you faced, but you missed out on lots of 'strategy-based' points (likely in DS, but probably in a few PS questions too). The 'math' behind most DS questions isn't that difficult, so you shouldn't be trying to deal with those question conceptually - you should make it your goal to PROVE what the correct answer actually is (by TESTing VALUES, doing the necessary math, etc.).

1) What is your exact Test Date?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Appreciate the feedback, it is all making more and more sense to me.

My test is booked in for 1st September although I am not in any rush as I will be applying for round 2 in my MBA programs. Appreciate this is a difficult question to answer but would you be able to provide an estimate of how long it would take to move from a q45 to 49 on average? (For those who have been able to do it.) I am studying between 15 and 20 hours per week but can dedicate more time if required.

I am shooting for a 750 and my verbal is at 43 although I have a lot of sentence correction work to do.

Thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nathan,

Unfortunately, there's no real way to answer your question. One of the problems with that query is that most Test Takers are never able to score Q49+ on the Official GMAT, and all of those Test Takers would 'weigh down' the average. In theory, you might be able to do it in a month (but you might also never be able to do it at all). Given the timeframe that you're discussing, and your past CAT results, you'd almost certainly need to invest in some new study materials and train to learn/practice some new Tactics though. The big 'variable' in all of this is how flexible a thinker you are and how quickly you can accept new approaches to answering Quant questions. There are some resources that I would recommend if you're interested though.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I will try to improve wherever I can to get a better score, any suggestions on materials would be great.

Nathan
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nathan,

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22080 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manhattan Quant Algorithm vs The Real GMAT Algorithm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nate,

When trying to predict how you will score on the real GMAT, it’s best to analyze your scores from official GMAC practice exams, as those exams provide the most accurate exam experience and use the most accurate scoring algorithm.

In regard to GMAC’s algorithm, no one, except for GMAC, actually knows the specifics of how it works. Furthermore, focus on what you can control, such as improving your GMAT quant skills. After all, if you know your stuff on test day, you won’t have to worry about the specifics of the algorithm!

I see you scored a Q45 on a GMAC practice test and that you are hoping to take your GMAT by early September and score a Q49. While it’s difficult to predict whether you will achieve your score goal by September 1st, go for it! What makes the GMAT such a challenging exam is that there are relatively few questions asked in a given exam, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. Thus, the best way to get a great GMAT score is to have a thorough understanding of all the topics that may be tested on the exam. Since you are already at a 45 quant, you have a great foundation in the quant topics tested on the GMAT, and now you need to begin the process of finding and fixing your weak areas.

Thus, you may consider using a study resource that will allow you to do focused practice of one quant topic at a time: number properties, exponents, roots, ratios, rates, geometry, etc. This type of practice will keep your learning focused and organized.

If you do not know which GMAT study resource to use, you can check out the course reviews on GMAT Club, which has thousands of verified reviews of different GMAT prep resources.

In the meantime, to help diagnose your GMAT quant strengths and weaknesses, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you are provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

Please keep us updated as to how you progress in the next few weeks and reach out with any further questions.

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 09 Aug 2016, 17:16.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 03 Nov 2016, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich, Scott,

Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions. I will review both of the solutions and let you know if I would like to move forward with either.

Nate
GMAT Club Bot