Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Many Pass Up Promotions in Favor of having a life [#permalink]
Kudos
Very nice++, Alex.

For me, when I get old, I want to remember my life as fulfilling and balanced. Yes, I have ambitions, but I want to have some time for me and my family, and have time to help others. I think in the end, nobody, including you, will really care which school you went to or which companies you led; the only thing you, and probably others, will remember is the quality of life that you "lived."

There is saying in Marathi, "Ati thethe maati" literally means anything excess is dirt, and could mean that if you do anything in excess, you will spoil everything. I remember this saying since 3rd grade, and has become one of my principles along with some teachings of Buddhism, which stresses on balance and compassion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
People who pass up promotions should be jailed or fired. I'd like a promotion. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
People who pass up promotions should be jailed or fired. I'd like a promotion. :)

Yeah - so would I... But 'to each his own'! People have different priorities in life and we should respect them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
priority in life includes family
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:

If less people want promotions, then you'll be more likely to get one!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Honestly, I'm with with Nancy Katz and would probably do the exact same thing. I love being challenged and enjoy working hard, but there's got to be a balance.

I have not, however, reached that point yet in my career, so right now, yes, I would take a promotion :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
I remember watching a travel channel show on Italy. The show's host- whose name eludes me - recounted an Italian's comment during a delicious meal:

"Americans live to work. Italians work to live."

I've always wondered about that. I wonder how IB or MC people in Italy or in France (where there is a 35 hour/week rule for work) work. Do they keep the insane hours like the traditional IB or MC or do they, for example, take a two hour break in the afternoon after lunch?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
RGM wrote:
I've always wondered about that. I wonder how IB or MC people in Italy or in France (where there is a 35 hour/week rule for work) work. Do they keep the insane hours like the traditional IB or MC or do they, for example, take a two hour break in the afternoon after lunch?

IB and MC work means insane hours everywhere, including IT and FR. Forget about lunch siesta.
Beside having more pressure, in some jobs a higher position means less interesting work and more corporate politics, compromising and external and internal selling and PR.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
a11c99 wrote:
RGM wrote:

IB and MC work means insane hours everywhere, including IT and FR. Forget about lunch siesta.
Beside having more pressure, in some jobs a higher position means less interesting work and more corporate politics, compromising and external and internal selling and PR.

Thought as much. Me and my colleagues always wondered how life is different in IT/FR with the media romancing how laid back people are there.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Not sure why this is surprising for some people.

Whether you have an MBA or not, you're still a human being who grows and changes over time. You have a partner/spouse. You have kids. Or if you have neither, you may want them down the road. Or if you don't, you may want to fill your life with something else aside from work. For some people, their careers are their passion and first love - for most people, it ends up being a day job. And MBA types are no different in the long-term when it comes to that. People's priorities change over time - you're NOT going to want to be a whippersnapper corporate career climber forever. Trust me on this.

A lot of MBA students and recent grads will fawn over McKinsey, private equity, blah blah blah. 10+ years later, most of these very MBAs will no longer care. No one is ranking their schools, obsessing over compensation stats, talking like a resume, etc. For most people, the preoccupation with prestige, compensation vs. peers, etc is a temporary thing. If at that point you're all about career - great. If you're all about family, great. If you're still at McKinsey, no one is going to worship you. If you're no longer at some Super Prestigious Firm, no one is really going to think less of you. So long as you're happy or making do with what you have - that sense of having to benchmark yourself vs your peers goes away.

One of the most insightful posts that I have ever read on GMATClub.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Not sure why this is surprising for some people.

Whether you have an MBA or not, you're still a human being who grows and changes over time. You have a partner/spouse. You have kids. Or if you have neither, you may want them down the road. Or if you don't, you may want to fill your life with something else aside from work. For some people, their careers are their passion and first love - for most people, it ends up being a day job. And MBA types are no different in the long-term when it comes to that. People's priorities change over time - you're NOT going to want to be a whippersnapper corporate career climber forever. Trust me on this.

A lot of MBA students and recent grads will fawn over McKinsey, private equity, blah blah blah. 10+ years later, most of these very MBAs will no longer care. No one is ranking their schools, obsessing over compensation stats, talking like a resume, etc. For most people, the preoccupation with prestige, compensation vs. peers, etc is a temporary thing. If at that point you're all about career - great. If you're all about family, great. If you're still at McKinsey, no one is going to worship you. If you're no longer at some Super Prestigious Firm, no one is really going to think less of you. So long as you're happy or making do with what you have - that sense of having to benchmark yourself vs your peers goes away.

Insightful and very well said Alex! I so agree with you. Maintaning the right balance is an art that I am learning to master. I also agree with therockobama:
therockobama wrote:
I think in the end, nobody, including you, will really care which school you went to or which companies you led; the only thing you, and probably others, will remember is the quality of life that you "lived."
There is saying in Marathi, "Ati thethe maati" literally means anything excess is dirt, and could mean that if you do anything in excess, you will spoil everything. I remember this saying since 3rd grade...

I also remember one of my classmates in middle school who unce brilliantly noted that "the superabundance of every performance is detrimental to the performer". Although his goal was to sound smarter than the rest of us --which he probably was -- I've never forgotten those words as they continue to be relevant even till this day. Too much of everything is bad.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
RGM wrote:
a11c99 wrote:
RGM wrote:

Thought as much. Me and my colleagues always wondered how life is different in IT/FR with the media romancing how laid back people are there.

But it is still better than in US. Even IBankers in ITA will dedicate an hour to have a decent meal rather than have a crap food on front of the computer. And in FRA the vacations is way longer as well.
GMAT Club Bot