Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: MBA networking do's and don'ts [#permalink]
BearStearner wrote:

Also, if you are a guy and you are handshaking a female executive, don't squeeze her hand so hard (as you would with a male counterpart).

I do that too, but funnily enough some women get frustrated by that!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
One of the advice in the article:

"DO: Skip the Buffet.."

I would also add "Go Easy on the Open Bar..."

I was invited to a JP Morgan Networking event in my senior year in college to their midtown Park Ave building. It was a get-to-know-one-another kinda thing between interviewees and interviewers a day before the final round of interviews. They had snacks on the table and an open bar.

There was this junior banker who had little too many drinks and started hitting on some of the female undergrads at the event. His face was all red, and his intoxication was evident even to senior bankers attending the event.

Long story short, he was taken aside by an older banker at the event and he was never seen again that night. Next morning, HR rep told me that instead of 4 interviews, I would have 3 interviews that morning because one of my interviewer wasn't available anymore. That drunken dude was one of my interviewer, I found out later.... So I ended up doing my fourth interview 2 days later with another person.

Agreed. I almost blew up my chances with an IB this year: they organised a great wine tasting event with really good Old World wines, and I just couldn't help myself. Thank God I left on time.

To my defense, the wines were great :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Quote:
Also, if you are a guy and you are handshaking a female executive, don't squeeze her hand so hard (as you would with a male counterpart).

You guys worry about random stuff :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Another tip:

Go to one or two recruiting networking events for companies or industries that you have absolutely no interest in. Treat these as "practice" networking if you're unsure or relatively green to the whole schmoozing thing. You'll get comfortable with it in a no-risk situation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Be confident and gregarious, though not obsequious. Assume you're on top of the pack for the job/internship in question. No one wants to hire a wilting violet.

And for god's sake, don't brown nose.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I would say buy this book for starters: https://www.amazon.com/Never-Eat-Alone-Secrets-Relationship/dp/0385512058 It is absolutely fantastic for learning how to expand your network. Many of the lessons in the book are guiding how I am going about creating contacts at every IB prior to B-school.

Then add:
1. Chat up everyone you have time to have a 3-5 minute meaningful conversation with at networking events, but don't just wisp around the room talking to everyone for 30 seconds. The more people you meet, the more people you have going to bat for you. Just try and have as many meaningful conversations as possible. Also, say hi and have conversation with the people you know and are comfortable with at your target firm, but try and branch out as much as possible and cast your net wide.

2. ALWAYS Follow up - especially important, it is the only way to keep a relationship going
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Another tip:

Go to one or two recruiting networking events for companies or industries that you have absolutely no interest in. Treat these as "practice" networking if you're unsure or relatively green to the whole schmoozing thing. You'll get comfortable with it in a no-risk situation.

That can seriously annoy people actively recruiting in that field, so be sure to show a certain amount of graciousness and self awareness if you do this.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBA candidates often cite networking as the top reason they want to go to business school. Reaching out to students, alums, staff and faculty are key steps in submitting a successful application. The goal isn’t to discover the “secret handshake” or to meet the one person who can guarantee you admission, as that is unlikely to occur. However, it will offer valuable insight into the culture, program, and other facets of the business school that you won’t find from your own research.

How?
1. Visit the campus.
2. Take advantage of your existing network.
3. Social media.

For more networking tips, watch this video:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Guanghua '16
GMAT 1: 200 Q2 V15
Send PM
Do…know your goal strategy. What is the purpose of you networking? What are you trying to accomplish? Knowing your networking goals is important because then you can build a strategy to reach each one. This strategy should include any deadlines, researching what groups and individuals to connect with, when and where to make these connections and how to sustain them. Also, don’t forget to track and measure your progress as a part of your goal strategy.

Don’t…wait until a crisis hits; effective networking should be a continual process. If you’ve never cared about building a network, you’ve been placing yourself in dangerous territory. What happens if you suddenly lose your job to downsizing or are terminated? If you haven’t built a network of connections, you’ll have a much harder time reaching out to people who can potentially help you in your job search process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Do's:- Get in touch with more people, increase your horizon and share or exchange all positive synergies.
Don't :- don't be quite make yourself verbose.
GMAT Club Bot