Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [32]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Operations (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Schools: CBS '18
Send PM
Re: Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash [#permalink]
it supports the argument. so answer is D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [3]
Send PM
Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
arjunmenonv wrote:
it supports the argument. so answer is D

Hello arjunmenonv

Actually, according to argument, we still do not have assurance that this is virus:
"Now, recent antibody studies seem to suggest, quite surprisingly, that Meyer's Rash is caused by a virus."

And Dr. Pannikar also does not give any evidences because he just argue that this is viral in nature and arguing is not an evidence in case of decease.
"Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
Schools: CBS '18
Send PM
Re: Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash [#permalink]
Its C - which is a finding.
because A cant be as it is not an explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash, an itchy rash between the toes, was a fungal infection similar to athlete's foot. At first, only Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature. All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash. Now, recent antibody studies seem to suggest, quite surprisingly, that Meyer's Rash is caused by a virus."

In the medical investigator's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A) It presents an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
B) It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.
C) It is a finding the argument seeks to explain.
D) It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E) It is the main conclusion of the argument.

A says that it is an explanation, while in actual argument the boldface looks like just a casual statement which author wanted to emphasize in order to defend Dr. Pannikar's claim. I really did not get the answer. Apart from A i would say E looks the best option.
This is really confusing :|
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dav90 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash, an itchy rash between the toes, was a fungal infection similar to athlete's foot. At first, only Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature. All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash. Now, recent antibody studies seem to suggest, quite surprisingly, that Meyer's Rash is caused by a virus."

In the medical investigator's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A says that it is an explanation, while in actual argument the boldface looks like just a casual statement which author wanted to emphasize in order to defend Dr. Pannikar's claim. I really did not get the answer. Apart from A i would say E looks the best option.

Hello dav90

I read oxford vocabulary and think that this claim is 'explanation':

Oxford vocabulary determination of explanation:
ex·plan·ation noun 1. countable, uncountable a statement, fact, or situation that tells you why sth happened; a reason given for sth

So in our case we can apply to this phrase of Doctor: statement that tells you why sth happened.
"Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature."
So this statement says that Meyer's Rash happened because of virus nature.

Why do you think that this claim is not explanation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Seriously a tricky one. Since explanation lies in these lines:"All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash".

Regards,
Dom.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
dominicraj wrote:
Seriously a tricky one. Since explanation lies in these lines:"All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash".

Regards,
Dom.

Hello dominicraj
I think this is fact and evidence but not explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Medical Investigator: "Podiatrists initially assumed that Meyer's Rash [#permalink]
Hi Harley,

IMO, the argument concludes that the Rash is viral. Now what is the suggested reason(explanation) for that?

The fact that all anti-fungal medicines were ineffective.

What is highlighted is "the first instance" a finding... that the argument then proves is right..

Can you please share your line of reasoning so that we can understand that perhaps.

Regards,
Dom.

Originally posted by dominicraj on 11 Aug 2015, 01:43.
Last edited by dominicraj on 11 Aug 2015, 01:55, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Send PM
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Harley,

IMO, the argument concludes that the Rash is viral. Now what is the suggested reason(explanation) for that?

The fact that all anti-fungal medicines were ineffective.

What is highlighted is "the first instance" a finding... that the argument then proves is right..

Can you please share your line of reasoning so that we can understand that perhaps.

Regards,
Dom.

I think that explanation should looks like:
"The Rash is viral because all anti-fungal medications are ineffective for Rash"

But then we met
"All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash" this is just observation, fact or evidence that can be used for make some explanation. But alone this phrase explain nothing. It is we who make some conclusions from this phrase, not the phrase itself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
dav90 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

Hello dav90

I read oxford vocabulary and think that this claim is 'explanation':

ex·plan·ation noun 1. countable, uncountable a statement, fact, or situation that tells you why sth happened; a reason given for sth

So in our case we can apply to this phrase of Doctor: statement that tells you why sth happened.
So this statement says that Meyer's Rash happened because of virus nature.

Why do you think that this claim is not explanation?

Thanks for a detailed reply.

I cannot deny the possibility of there being a subtle connotation of word Explanation.
But in general if i have to say what do i mean by explanation i would like to give one example.

lets consider 2 statements below
1) [Choice A is the correct answer]
2) [I read oxford vocabulary and think that this claim is 'explanation':

So this statement says that Meyer's Rash happened because of virus nature.]

if asked, I would say second sentence is explanation while first one is either a claim or a conclusion

Please correct me if i m deviating too much from the intended discussion.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
dav90 wrote:
Thanks for a detailed reply.

I cannot deny the possibility of there being a subtle connotation of word Explanation.
But in general if i have to say what do i mean by explanation i would like to give one example.

lets consider 2 statements below
1) [Choice A is the correct answer]
2) [I read oxford vocabulary and think that this claim is 'explanation':

So this statement says that Meyer's Rash happened because of virus nature.]

if asked, I would say second sentence is explanation while first one is either a claim or a conclusion

Please correct me if i m deviating too much from the intended discussion.

Hello dav90

I will be honest I have a little revision of my opinion about this question and now I hesitate about why this is explanation and not conclusion
Now I think that the main wrinkle of this task that we doesn't have premises that support claim of doctor.

According to EGmat we can test conclusion by applying word 'because'
The Dow is a cow [conclusion] because she gives a milk and all cows give a milk [premise].

But if we try to apply this test to current question then we received:

At first, only Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature. [possible conclusion] because
1) All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash
we can not say that this is needed premise because we don't know timeline of this fact and this fact is not enough fr such conclusion.

2) Now, recent antibody studies seem to suggest, quite surprisingly, that Meyer's Rash is caused by a virus.
We can not use this because it happens after claim of doctor.

But as I mentioned early I am not completely sure in this explanation so I will be glad if somebody gives another opinion about this question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:

OE from Magoosh:

The bold sentence talks about Dr. Pannikar's argument, that Meyer's Rash was viral. At the time, he was the only one saying that, but as the medical investigator explains, his view is now the generally accepted conclusion.

(A) is the credited answer. At the time, Pannikar was alone in giving this explanation, but the main conclusion is that, now, this explanation has been vindicated by science.

(E) is close, but not correct. Technically, the bold statement itself is not the conclusion. The conclusion is that what Dr. Pannikar said in the bold statement really turns out to be true.

(B) is wrong. The bold statement presents, according to the medical investigator, what now is accepted as the truth. Therefore, the medical investigator does not oppose it.

(C) is wrong: the bold statement is an explanation, not a finding that needs to be explained.

(D) is wrong: the bold statement does not provide evidence. One person saying something is right does not constitute proof in science. The bold statement is an explanation, not evidence for anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
The problem with A, in my opinion, is that Dr. Pannikar is not offering any explanation.

It seems that is just providing an alternative cause to Meyer's Rash, that studies made later proved to be right.

I may be being a little picky, but offering an explanation or an alternative cause is not the same.

I believe the correct option should say: "It presents an alternative that the argument concludes is correct."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

OE from Magoosh:

The bold sentence talks about Dr. Pannikar's argument, that Meyer's Rash was viral. At the time, he was the only one saying that, but as the medical investigator explains, his view is now the generally accepted conclusion.

(A) is the credited answer. At the time, Pannikar was alone in giving this explanation, but the main conclusion is that, now, this explanation has been vindicated by science.

(E) is close, but not correct. Technically, the bold statement itself is not the conclusion. The conclusion is that what Dr. Pannikar said in the bold statement really turns out to be true.

(B) is wrong. The bold statement presents, according to the medical investigator, what now is accepted as the truth. Therefore, the medical investigator does not oppose it.

(C) is wrong: the bold statement is an explanation, not a finding that needs to be explained.

(D) is wrong: the bold statement does not provide evidence. One person saying something is right does not constitute proof in science. The bold statement is an explanation, not evidence for anything.

"Dr. Pannikar argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature". Arguing is not the same as presenting an explanation.

"All anti-fungal medications proved utterly ineffective in addressing Meyer's Rash" is a fact that would explain Dr. Pannikar position.

The correct choice should be something like this: It presents a position that the argument concludes is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Hi experts,

would you please explain further on C.

Only Dr. P argued that Meyer's Rash was viral in nature.
obviously , it is Dr.P's opinion, and latter, there are studies prove the opinion.
I don't think bold words is explanation because it is opinion and proved by the latter studies.
if explanation, it will further info to illustrate the conclusion that Meyer's Rash is caused by virus

compared "explanation" with "finding",
I picked up "finding".

genuinely want your help

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,

obviously , it is Dr.P's opinion, and latter, there are studies prove the opinion.
I don't think bold words is explanation because it is opinion and proved by the latter studies.
if explanation, it will further info to illustrate the conclusion that Meyer's Rash is caused by virus

I picked up "finding".

genuinely want your help

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~

Hi experts,
I am afraid my thread was sunk ,

call for help .... :?:

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,

I picked up "finding".

genuinely want your help

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~

Hi experts,
I am afraid my thread was sunk ,

call for help .... :?:

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Yes, I agree with you. The bold faced sentence is not a "finding". However it is not an "explanation" either. The question would have been better if the word used were "opinion" or something similar.

Moreover only "Meyer's Rash was viral in nature" needs to be bold faced.That Panicker argued something is not the point of the argument - there is no contention that Panicker did not argue.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts