Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
MFE/MathFin Admissions - Work experience issues [#permalink]
Kudos
redrid wrote:
billionaire, thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate your opinion regarding my profile. I am mainly interested in sell-side trading; I have some experience in practicing trading as an independent day trader, but I am also open to risk management roles, since FO trading roles are not that easy to come by. Academically, interest rate derivatives are my area of interest, and I also wish to study stochastic calculus in more depth, as I have a decent background in vector calculus, partial differential equations etc. And yes, NYC is a good area for networking, although I am pretty location agnostic in terms of jobs after graduation. :)

MSFHQ Thank you so much for your insight. It's very encouraging to hear that some of the schools are within reach. You mention an interesting point: Reduction in Chinese applicants. Could you please elaborate on this? Why is this happening, and are its effects going to be felt this application season?

Hi redrid

If you are location agnostic (before and after graduation ) beware that MFE Berkeley is probably the best program of its kind in the world. :cool:

After that I can add to your list Princeton University, Cornell University MEng-FE concentration, MIT, UCLA -Financial Engineering, University of Chicago-Financial Mathematics, all top programs, better ranked and better in every aspect than Rutgers or Fordham, for instance.

IMO, GTech Quantitative and Computational Finance and University of Washington Computational Finance & Risk Management, would also be better choice.

Don't worry, you will do a lot of stochastic calculus and PDE's all the time, during course :geek: :cool:

It will be all about application of math, stat & programming.

Good Luck ! Shoot for the best ! :fingers_crossed:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MFE/MathFin Admissions - Work experience issues [#permalink]
billionaire, thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate your opinion regarding my profile. I am mainly interested in sell-side trading; I have some experience in practicing trading as an independent day trader, but I am also open to risk management roles, since FO trading roles are not that easy to come by. Academically, interest rate derivatives are my area of interest, and I also wish to study stochastic calculus in more depth, as I have a decent background in vector calculus, partial differential equations etc. And yes, NYC is a good area for networking, although I am pretty location agnostic in terms of jobs after graduation. :)

MSFHQ Thank you so much for your insight. It's very encouraging to hear that some of the schools are within reach. You mention an interesting point: Reduction in Chinese applicants. Could you please elaborate on this? Why is this happening, and are its effects going to be felt this application season?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[quote="redrid"]Hello all,

I am applying to MFE/MathFin programs this season and wanted to get an idea about the competitiveness of my profile:

GRE: 340 (Q: 170, V: 170, AWA: 5.0)
Undergrad GPA: 72% from a non-IIT engineering university (Among top 10-15 universities in India)
MBA from one of the top 3 Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) with GPA of 7.34 out of 10.
Work experience: Finance manager at a top global consumer products corporation, overseeing product pricing
Other credentials: Have passed CFA Level 2, FRM Part 1, and have a certificate in C++ Programming for Financing Engineering from Baruch College in New York City, and informal experience in MATLAB and R.

I am applying to Columbia MFE, Columbia MAFN, Carnegie Mellon, Baruch, NYU Tandon MFE, NYU Courant MathFin, Rutgers, BU, Fordham.

Roughly, what are my chances at these schools, given my credentials? Am I being too ambitious with my choices? Also, how much of a problem is my lack of relevant work experience going to be? Is it a deal breaker? Would really appreciate any insights.

Thanks![/quo
When did you score 340 in GRE? Did you score 340 in GRE in 2018? What is your name?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello Redrid,

Did you score 340 in GRE in 2018? Are you from India? What is your name?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts