Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Re: Mock score analysis [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi yashmehta27101995,

When did you begin your studies - and when was the "gap" (and how long was that gap?)? Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores; if you've studied a certain way for a lengthy period of time though, then it's possible that you've developed some 'bad habits' during your studies that will take time to fix (and replace with new "good habits").

1) What "steps" do you go through when working on a typical CR, RC or SC prompt?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been studying for around 70-75 days back, the gap was of roughly 10 days. Approach
SC: Meaning is what I primarily look for and followed by some grammar rules mentioned in various sources.
RC: I read the passage first and then attempt all the questions. I try to get the gist of the passage in the first reading. Though during the mocks it took me more time to understand the passage and even though I got most of them correct, I wasn't very confident while marking them.

CR: Try thinking the answer before hand and then look the options and whether it matches my answer or not. CR is the major area in which I've been struggling.

What I have noticed is that Apart from silly mistakes, I'm mostly able to answer questions of 600-700 level. I need some practice for 700+ level questions so that my score can reach 700+.
For the next 10 days I can give 5 hours minimum. And the rest 20 days I can increase it to 8-10 hours.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yashmehta27101995,

From what you describe, there are some 'inefficiencies' in terms of how you deal with the Verbal section - and those same issues are likely keeping you from scoring higher in the Quant section as well.

Studying 5 hours each day would be a LOT - and studying 8+ hours each day would likely be too much (and it would increase your chances of 'burning out' before Test Day - which is something that we want to avoid). You have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. If you're not actively working on learning/practicing the proper Tactics - and you just keep answering questions "your way" over-and-over - then you will almost certainly continue to score at this same level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot