Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [14]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island called Hypothetica [#permalink]
Let me spend some thought on this question

First of all, in more general way, the sentence whenevr begins with a subject, then the modifier that modifies the same subject has a similar structure in wich it is eclosed between two commas

Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island called Hypothetica, owns a luxury sedan.

Secondly, both A and B are too extreme sentences that almost always are wrong on the gmat (not always, it dpends on the context) but rarely are right.

back to the question, at a closer look the key word is Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island called Hypothetica owns a luxury sedan.

As such, the only viable option is A in which

A. None of the sedans owned by those staying in Hypothetica belong to a non-Mersche brand.

Not a good question in my opinion, eventually.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island called Hypothetica [#permalink]
Not sure how the answer could be 'A'....Option 'A' talks about Sedans, while the argument talks specifically about 'Luxury Sedans'...I chose B..what is the source of this question? Also is the OE available for this question?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
A is too lopsided to be an assumption. the domain of A is too wide to be an assumption
reasoning as why A is wrong:
A says: None of the sedans owned by those staying in Hypothetica belong to a non-Mersche brand.
------------->the argument is talking about "luxury sedans" so there is no point to make this domain too large and talk about "NONE of the sedans", if u do so then u possibly include both "luxury sedans" AND "non luxury sedans" .
There might be a situation where "non luxury sedan" is "non-Mersche brand"(see i have negated A), still the argument will hold true, there by making this assumption in A non valid !!

So the correct assumption would have been : (modified A): None of the LUXURY sedans owned by those staying in Hypothetica belong to a non-Mersche brand

what is the source of this question?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
Yes aditya, I have corrected the typo in option A...Thanks for pointing out

is it that u have made up this question?
kindly mention the source if u have not made up this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island called Hypothetica [#permalink]
Yes aditya, this question has been written by me. Generally, I do mention the source if it is not me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
interesting question-had to understand the 1 line carefully.
so lets break it
X has PR.X own lux car
c- lux car is or merch

possible assumption

there is no other in market other than merch .
lets read the options

Mr. Janeck, a permanent resident of a remote island Hypothetica, owns a luxury sedan. Hence, this sedan must be of the Mersche make.

Which of the following would have to be assumed for the conclusion to hold?

A. None of the luxury sedans owned by any permanent resident of Hypothetica belongs to a non-Mersche brand.

B. All luxury sedans in Hypothetica are of Mersche make.- all are made by merc-ummm this is not stated..because people can go out and get more lux cars.so all may may not be merc

C. All natives of Hypothetica who are sedan-owners do own luxury sedans of Mersche make.is natives same as people with PR.. nothing is stated of natives

D. Luxury sedans of Mersche make are owned only by permanent residents of Hypothetica. only by permanent in not discussion.it is whether sedans in Hypo are of merch

E. None of the luxury sedans of a non-Mersche make are owned by sedan-owners staying in Hypothetica. reomve all no in the sentence-
lux sedanx of merch make are owned by sedan-owners staying in Hypothetica.-think abt it do we need that.

so all are out only A remains..only tricky option is B..because that coincides with my assumption-but all are of merch make is not what is asked.it is saying hwether sedan in merch make
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16