Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Re: My GMAT journey [#permalink]
financeguy wrote:
Hi guys,

I took my GMAT test for the third time in 2 years and scored another 660 (Q46, V35). Both my previous attempts had the same score.

In my both previous attempts, I had only studied for a week or so and only book I used was pricenton review GMAT prep. This time around, I spent atleast 2 month preparing for the test (atleast 3-4 hours a day) and it was a real dedicated effort.

In my last attempts, I had not prepared for verbal section at all. This time I went through Manhattan SC, learned all the idioms I could find from different GMAT books, did 500 of each SC-1000, CR-1000 and RC-1000 documents and also studied from the LSAT Logical reasoning bible and my verbal score is lowest in the three attempts after doing all this.

I attempted all MGMAT and Power Prep tests with following results.

MGMAT 1 - 690
MGMAT 2 - 640
MGMAT 3 - 710
MGMAT 4- 670
MGMAT 5- 670

Power Prep 1 - 710
Power Prep 2 - 690

GMAT Prep 1 - 680
GMAT Prep 2 - 720

I have done all 7 manhattan guides and every other practice material I could find and I was hoping that all this would atleast add 30-40 to my base score. Also everything went well otherwise, I was feeling much better this time around and was somehow happy with my preparation.

I can't think of any reason that I shouldn't have scored better this time around. The only thing which I need to improve is that I should be spending more time on questions. I finished both the sections atleast 10 minutes before the time and probably I need to look at this more closely as I could have spent this time to improve my answer accuracy.

Any ideas, help, comments.

Thanks

Im sorry to hear that man. I believe you are nothing short of a 700level. Uphillclimb has some excellent suggestions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Honestly, I had two responses to your post in mind, but eventually I decided to go with this one:

For quant:
------------
You are already at 46 and need about 1-3 more points to secure a 700 level quant score. Try figuring your weakness areas in terms of topic area. For example, if you feel number properties are usually too tricky to you, stop studying quant and focus only on number properties questions by searching the math forum for number properties posts only. This will help to levarage your performance at your weakness area questions.

You may also try the GMATclub challenges; very popular for 48+ scorers in quant.

For Verbal
-------------
You seem to be okay with timing as you finished the section with 10 minutes to spare. You now need to worry about accuracy for CR and SC problems. try the SC 1000 series and Please trust me: go over the logic and methods used by GMATclubbers in CR posts you can find at the verbal forum of this website. VERY HELPFUL --> more than the OG official explanations !!

You're lucky you have no problems with stamina throughout the test. THat usually is a problem for many test takers. I don't think you are too far from scoring a 720+ or so.

NOW, only FYI: this was my second option for my response to your post. How do you like it ?

I think you must also reconsider your decision about getting an MBA. Most people just want to do an MBA but you might have skills more suited toward another career. An MBA is not the only thing in this world and someone scoring more than others mean they are more suitable for an academic environment designed for business studies but don't forget the fact that most of the real business leaders never did an MBA and still achieved the heights of their professions.

While I believe that with some concentrated effort anyone can achieve a 700+ plus in GMAT and also go to an Art school but that wouldn't be the optimal use of our energies.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mishari wrote:
Honestly, I had two responses to your post in mind, but eventually I decided to go with this one:

For quant:
------------
You are already at 46 and need about 1-3 more points to secure a 700 level quant score. Try figuring your weakness areas in terms of topic area. For example, if you feel number properties are usually too tricky to you, stop studying quant and focus only on number properties questions by searching the math forum for number properties posts only. This will help to levarage your performance at your weakness area questions.

You may also try the GMATclub challenges; very popular for 48+ scorers in quant.

For Verbal
-------------
You seem to be okay with timing as you finished the section with 10 minutes to spare. You now need to worry about accuracy for CR and SC problems. try the SC 1000 series and Please trust me: go over the logic and methods used by GMATclubbers in CR posts you can find at the verbal forum of this website. VERY HELPFUL --> more than the OG official explanations !!

You're lucky you have no problems with stamina throughout the test. THat usually is a problem for many test takers. I don't think you are too far from scoring a 720+ or so.

NOW, only FYI: this was my second option for my response to your post. How do you like it ?

I think you must also reconsider your decision about getting an MBA. Most people just want to do an MBA but you might have skills more suited toward another career. An MBA is not the only thing in this world and someone scoring more than others mean they are more suitable for an academic environment designed for business studies but don't forget the fact that most of the real business leaders never did an MBA and still achieved the heights of their professions.

While I believe that with some concentrated effort anyone can achieve a 700+ plus in GMAT and also go to an Art school but that wouldn't be the optimal use of our energies.

Good luck.

Thanks Mishari,

I agree with most of what you said. The second advice looks familiar but I would not have even tried the second time around if I had scored less than 600 or so. I believe that 660 is not a bad score and it can get you to the best of the best business schools. It's 86 percentile which means you are better suited for an MBA academic environment than are 86% other people who took the test.

I think this time around, I need to focus more on my test taking strategies and not on the concepts. In my previous attempts, my only weapon was test taking strategies taught by princeton review and I hardly knew anything but the basic concepts. This time around I remember every single word problem from Manhattan GMAT books and still the same result. I guess MGMAT is not a good strategy if not combined with more practical test taking advice from Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts