Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: My GMAT timingstrategies/tactics that got me from 530 to 620 [#permalink]
Good one, thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Great strategies. However, I don't know if its just my luck, but even when I can eliminate upto 2 answer choices and have to guess amongst the rest, I always seem to guess wrong :(. Its always been that way. So i've always been a bit iffy when it comes to guessing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hey gmattester123,

Thanks for the insights, would you mind me asking how long you studying the GMAT for? Were you ever good at standardized exams? I wasn't. I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are right now. My first attempt I scored a 480, even though I was averaging about a 590-600 on the Kaplan practice tests. I started studying with Knewton at the start of the year and my average dropped to the low 500's. I took a break for a few months, and now i'm just starting to get organized to start studying again. Booked the GMAT for December 14. BOOYAAA!

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
NoObstacles wrote:
Hey gmattester123,

Thanks for the insights, would you mind me asking how long you studying the GMAT for? Were you ever good at standardized exams? I wasn't. I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are right now. My first attempt I scored a 480, even though I was averaging about a 590-600 on the Kaplan practice tests. I started studying with Knewton at the start of the year and my average dropped to the low 500's. I took a break for a few months, and now i'm just starting to get organized to start studying again. Booked the GMAT for December 14. BOOYAAA!

Cheers

I have always been good at standardized exams but for some reason, I perform very poorly on the GMAT. For the verbal portion, I am guessing part of my poor performance is because I have always been a slow reader. FYI, since starting my MBA program, my grades usually match or exceed other classmates that have scored 700 on the GMAT (however, there are many written reports in my MBA program and my writing is above the average MBA student in my class so that may give me an advantage). FWIW, I scored 5.5 on the written portion of the GMAT.

I was out of school for 10 years and my math was very rusty so for me so I spent 9 months preparing for my first GMAT exam - albeit, I was very lazy and slow in my preparations. I think I could have done the same preparations in 4 or 5 months if I had focused my preparations.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts