Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: My second test 690->650 hmmm [#permalink]
Hi barfer,

Don’t be discouraged. I think you have a good chance of improving your score the next time (there even was a theory that a person could improve the score even by doing nothing… but I don’t quite believe it).

I’m not really sure whether TOEFL will help you to prepare for SC, since, AFAIK, grammar structure is not a separate part of the TOEFL test anymore. Still, TOEFL could strengthen your overall English level.

As for GMAT - here are some observations from my reading people’s debriefs on GMAT forums. Perhaps, you will find them useful.

1. For non-native speakers, verbal scores in various preparation tests tend to vary more than for native ones. So the factor of luck matters more for them. However, mere luck will hardly give you, say, 45+ in verbal. Technically, if your true ability is around 38, if you are lucky, you have a good chance to hit 41-42… but that’s it (on the other hand, if you’re not lucky, you can equally get 30-32… :( )

Thus, it may be helpful to look at your verbal scores from practice CATS. If they vary a lot (say, from 30 to 45), on real thing, theoretically, you have as good a chance to get 45 as to get 30. Unfortunately, in reality it is more often something in lower 30’s than in middle 40’s… So it seems that only consistent scores in verbal CATs have some predictable ability. Otherwise be prepared that GMAT-verbal will be more of a lottery.

2. In verbal part of test, unlike in the quant one, it is very hard to feel how well you are doing and where exactly you make mistakes. So, perhaps, it was not SC-questions that crushed the score.

3. During the last month of your preparation, DON’T do any verbal questions (SC, CR, RC) that are not from OG or GMATPrep or Powerprep – especially if you are non-native speaker. It will only hurt you.

And the most important thing - don't give up. You shall conquer it :boxer2
Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
walker wrote:
:? Sometimes GMAC gives us bad surprises....

I think TOEFL will not help you in SC because it does not contain grammar issues.

Hi, walker! I don't know how it'll be but I just want to take some rest from gmat. I think that my failure was because of too much self-evidence and of my hurring up in the very beginning of the verbal part of 2d attempt. I want to spend July for toefl preparation, keeping studying my English grammar.
P.S. I also want to talk with you about TOEFL. Maybe this forum is not the best place to duscuss toefl. Can we contact by skype?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Leopard wrote:
Barfer,

Even I gave the exam last Saturday. Got 650 (Q46 V33). One month back I gave GMAT and got 660 (Q49 V33). Again, the second time I was well prepared. Exam seemed easy but things fell apart finally. I am now planning to take a professional help. I am planning to join MGMAT classes.

We are in a kind of similar situation. May be we must analyze our answering methods. ALL THE BEST BUDDY.

Thanks,
Leopard

Hi, Leopard!
I won't give up but rather kill the test even if it takes all my 5 attempts for 12 months. :) I still have 3 spares.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Quote:
2. In verbal part of test, unlike in the quant one, it is very hard to feel how well you are doing and where exactly you make mistakes. So, perhaps, it was not SC-questions that crushed the score.

Hi greenoak! It was not only SC's but also my inadequate rush in the beginning of the verbal part. I didn't pay enough attention for first 20 questions and went with a crucial decline and then couldn't jump up by the end of the test. Next time I'll be smarter.
Thank very much for help!
BR,
Barfer
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts