Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: My TOEFL drawback - speaking score 24 [#permalink]
Kudos
gmtl wrote:
19W wrote:
gmtl wrote:
Hello everyone,
My overall TOEFL score is good, but unluckily it's not "balanced". I scored 114 with a possible drawback in the speaking section, which carries a score of 24.
like everyone else, I was tested in a very busy, crowded room. Hearing so many people speaking at the same time got me even more nervous, and so I didn't really succeed as much as I wanted.

I believe a 24 speaking score does not reflect my real ability, and I wonder if such a score could be a red flag on my application, as after all an MBA program does require a decent speaking ability.

opinions ?

The last time I took TOEFL I too scored 24 in speaking section. Before the test, a young bloke approached me and started a conversation. He was saying stuff like people shout when they do the speaking section so we barely are able to listen questions and think answers due to disturbance. He asked me to make a gentleman's agreement that if we are closely placed, we will both keep our voices down during the speaking. I was relived to be placed right next to the guy. But when the guy started the speaking section, he was by far the loudest in the entire room! :lol: So I too tend to think 24 is low from my actual caliber.

However 114 imo is a great score. And 24 in speaking section falls under the higher side of the 'Fair' bracket range (18-25). 'Good' is 26 - 30 so you missed the good bracket by only 2 pts. So don't be overly worried. Plus you will get to showcase your actual speaking skills in the interview section of your app journey.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll count on the interview with the hope I will get one.
And the story about the guy... haha hilarious =)

Good luck with the apps! Have another story that happened to me at the test center. I had made my passport straight out of high school. And when I took the test, the passport was around 7 years old. I had put on 20 plus kgs and did not look like the guy in the passport's picture. So the people at the test center did not buy I was the same guy who had registered for the test. They assumed I was a fake test taker taking the test for someone else. They took me to another room and started cross questioning me. :oops: I directly told them that you guys must be worried that I do not look like the guy in the picture. I told them that I spent my entire schooling in a residential school and put on a lot of weight after I finished high school. So to verify my story, they asked me to log in to my Facebook account and show them my old pictures! I did show them couple of pictures over the years and they were finally convinced! :-D So when I was placed next to the guy, it was kind of reassuring and calming after the hassle! :grin:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My TOEFL drawback - speaking score 24 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts