Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need a VERY Base-Level Quant Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Need a VERY Base-Level Quant Study Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 04:32
Hello;

So I'm in the process of studying for a GMAT I plan to take in 2-3 months. The date isn't set yet because I need a grasp on how fast I can get my quant up to speed.

My issue is that I'm above average at verbal, and very below average at quant.

When I took a practice CAT on the MBA com with no preparation, I was above the 90th percentile in verbal and ~25th percentile in quant.

When I took the practice diagnostic in the OG `19 for quant, I think I missed more than half of the 48 questions, and did better in data sufficiency than PS.

I took Manhattan GMAT's basic math skills test, and only got about 68% right on that, which is low enough that they recommend me take some sort of basic math refresher concurrently with their regular GMAT prep.

The issue is I'm not THAT bad at math (but I guess I am bad), I just don't remember how to do stuff by hand after using excel for nearly a decade.

What are some good resources for studying basic stuff? I have access to Manhattan's full 6th edition set, and the OG 19 guides, and plenty of free time.

I'm not trying to get a 90th percentile in quant, but just going from ~25% to average coupled with a strong verbal would be enough for me, but I'm willing to work to get way higher. I just need structure for improving very bad quant.

Any help would be appreciated.

L
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 05:38
ldcross wrote:
Hello;

So I'm in the process of studying for a GMAT I plan to take in 2-3 months. The date isn't set yet because I need a grasp on how fast I can get my quant up to speed.

My issue is that I'm above average at verbal, and very below average at quant.

When I took a practice CAT on the MBA com with no preparation, I was above the 90th percentile in verbal and ~25th percentile in quant.

When I took the practice diagnostic in the OG `19 for quant, I think I missed more than half of the 48 questions, and did better in data sufficiency than PS.

I took Manhattan GMAT's basic math skills test, and only got about 68% right on that, which is low enough that they recommend me take some sort of basic math refresher concurrently with their regular GMAT prep.

The issue is I'm not THAT bad at math (but I guess I am bad), I just don't remember how to do stuff by hand after using excel for nearly a decade.

What are some good resources for studying basic stuff? I have access to Manhattan's full 6th edition set, and the OG 19 guides, and plenty of free time.

I'm not trying to get a 90th percentile in quant, but just going from ~25% to average coupled with a strong verbal would be enough for me, but I'm willing to work to get way higher. I just need structure for improving very bad quant.

Any help would be appreciated.

L

Hi ldcross,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! You can try out the TTP course as it is phenomenal and covers the entire syllabus really well. Plus it has great reviews on GMATCLUB. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Note that you must only do the GMATCLUB tests after you have completed all the concepts and want to push for 49+ on your exam as the tests are a bit on the difficult side.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the Quant review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.
V
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 05:49
Hello ldcross

Welcome to GMATClub

When you are above average at verbal, it makes things a lot easier. To begin with, the
scores on the GMATPrep(at mba.com) that you took is a more accurate representation
of your true abilities and keeping that score as your baseline score you should plan your
study plan.

For concepts, you should work on the Manhattan Strategy guides. Once you are familiar
with the basic concepts, you should practice question specific to the topic you have
learned. Whenever you solve practice questions, try to understand if you are able to apply
the learning to the problems. Every time you are not able to solve a question go through
the thread (where the question has been discussed) and go through the various methods
that have been used to solve the problems. In my experience, you will come across a few
methods that will help you save some time. Try and adapt these methods while you solve
questions during practice.

Work on maintaining an error log and go through the mistakes you make from time to time.
This retrospection will definitely help you improve your scores. Last but not the least, these
are few links that you might find handy while preparing for the GMAT. Feel free to tag the
experts for questions you have no clue about.

1. GMATClub Quantitative Mega-Thread
2. ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
3. PS Directory by Topic and Difficulty
4. DS Directory by Topic and Difficulty
5. Q44 -> Q50
6. Timing strategies

The first two links help you with basic concepts. For topics that you have problems in, you
could work on the concepts from the first thread. The third and fourth links are for practice
only and the sixth link will give you an idea of some of the timing strategies that might be
helpful.

Hope this helps you.
D
Premium Member
Re: Need a VERY Base-Level Quant Study Plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2018, 06:39
ldcross

you can download GMAT Club math book for understanding Quant concepts.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-bo ... 30609.html
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need a VERY Base-Level Quant Study Plan   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2018, 06:39

Need a VERY Base-Level Quant Study Plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics