GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 02:18
Hi All,

Need your guidance to direct my study strategy for next month. I aspire to score 720 in my next attempt, which I plan to take in the first week of march.

A bit about myself:

A 29y old male Indian engineer living in Singapore from past 6 years. By Profession a Senior Consultant (Front Office Business Analyst) in a Corp finance product company with high degree of client interactions and work related travel.
Received promotion in 2 years. Cleared CFA level 2 exams, and also hold FRM designation. No subordinates reporting to me directly.

Aiming for Insead, HEC Paris (Jan 2018), HKUST, and NUS in the order of preference.

A little insight on my journey so far -
Started preparing in Jul 2016 and without a concrete study plan, I was mostly running around like a headless chicken. In mid Sept, I decided to purchase eGMAT quant and verbal course and diligently started preparing for the exam but still not so diligent in maintaining error log.

During this period, I took only one practice exam per month just to see if I'm making any progress in scores and took 4 full length and 1 without IR/AWA exams in January. My performance in these 5 tests are as follows:

7 Jan 17 - MGMAT - 620 (Q42, V32) (No IR/AWA)
14 Jan 17 - GMATPrep EP1 - 670 (Q47, V34, IR6)
21 Jan 17 - GMATPrep EP1 - 680 (Q48, V34, IR6)
28 Jan 17 - GMATPrep EP2 - 680 (Q49, V34, IR6)
31 Jan 17 - GMATPrep EP2 - 680 (Q46, V38, IR6)

1-Feb-17 GMAT Exam - 670 (Q48, V34, IR6)

TBH, I wasn't expecting such low score in Verbal and even more surprising is my sub-par performance in SC (59 %ile on exam as opposed to >70 %ile in all 4 prep tests).

I feel time management issue is also a major factor in higher number of incorrect answers towards the end of the exam. In practice test also I ended up quickly marking last 3-4 questions with only couple of minutes left. I don't know how I can improve it as I have always answered practice questions under timed conditions.

Attaching my ESR for your perusal

Please help how I should approach my study going forward. Is a goal of 50 points score improvement farfetched to achieve in a month?
Attachment:
File comment: Pg 1-6
file-page1.jpg
file-page1.jpg [ 726.63 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

Attachment:
file-page2.jpg
file-page2.jpg [ 637.63 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

Attachment:
file-page3.jpg
file-page3.jpg [ 695.25 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

Attachment:
file-page4.jpg
file-page4.jpg [ 656.24 KiB | Viewed 825 times ]

Attachment:
file-page5.jpg
file-page5.jpg [ 633.08 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]

Attachment:
file-page6.jpg
file-page6.jpg [ 429.51 KiB | Viewed 823 times ]
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 21:02
Hi roadrunner,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your last 4 CAT score results, when combined with your Official GMAT Score, show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). This ultimately means that for the last month you've been remarkably consistent. On one hand, you do lots of things consistently well; on the other hand, you likely make the same consistent mistakes in how you work through questions. A 670 is actually closer to a 720 than you probably realize, but based on the data that you've provided, "your way" of dealing with the GMAT has gotten you 'stuck' in the high-600s.

You could conceivably hit your score goal in a month, but you would have to make some fundamental changes in how you deal with BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. If you've developed any 'bad habits' during the last couple of months of study, then it would probably take 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to hit your score goal (since it takes time to eliminate bad habits and replace them with new 'good habits'). Thankfully, you have plenty of time before you plan to apply, so you can continue to study and retest. If you have the free time now, I suggest that you continue to study so that you don't lose the 'momentum' that you've generated.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Current Student
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 21:35
Hi Rich,

Firstly thanks for your response.

Although I have been scoring consistently for the past month, unfortunately it also means my skills did not improve much over the month. As you've rightly pointed out.

I want to get done with my GMAT ASAP so that I can completely focus on my applications.

Quote:
1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can study each week?

2 hours on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends, barring the days I take practice exams.

Not sure if it'll help, but I mainly use GMATClub's question bank feature to filter questions in each section and my performance thus far is as below:

<600 level : 100 % in both verbal and quant sections
600 <- <700: 80-90 % success in both sections
> 700:
50% difficulty: 60-70% success rate
75% difficulty: 40-50% success in quant and 30-40% in verbal
95% difficulty: 10% success = mostly guess work.

Sorry if its TMI but I hope to get some good directions to achieve my goal ASAP.

So what strategy do you recommend that I should follow for next month?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 22:35
Hi roadrunner,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 23:45
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi roadrunner,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions.

Rich

Please share your views on official website as it will help us. we are facing similar problem.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 17:36
Hi Adityagmatclub,

The type of ESR analysis that I offer sometimes includes questions/information that is specific (and personal) to the individual, so I sometimes choose not to have those discussions in public. If you have questions about your Enhanced Score Report, then I'll be happy to analyze your ESR for you though.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2017, 17:36

Need advice to improve from 670 to 720 - attainable in a month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap