GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jan 2019, 09:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

07:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Need help for ESR Topic Breakdown

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests
Need help for ESR Topic Breakdown  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 06:02
Hi all,

I have just received my ESR for first take. Aiming to improve my Verbal Score. However, I'm abit lost in matching the sub-categories of the report with the actual question types that are usually posted here on gmatclub, or those used in textbooks. I'd appreciate alot if someone could help me. I've listed it all down here so it's easier to match. You guys can match the number into each ESR sub-cat.

Also, for RC the categories on question bank is not really broad. If you guys have another way of categorizing topics feel free to chip in.

And last, if the SC and CR topics on questionbanks are too detailed, you could just use any other system to match. I'd be happy with any breakdown. This would really help me to focus my retake effort. Thank you so much in advance :heart

Critical Reasoning:
a. Analysis/Critique
b. Construction/Plan

Question bank categories:
1.Additional Evidence
2.Assumption
3.Bold Face CR
4.Cause and Effect
5.Complete the Passage
6.Conclusion
7.CR Resources
8.Debatable OA
9.Evaluate Argument
10.Except
11.Inference
12.Logical Flaw
13.Method of Reasoning
14.Must be True
15.Numbers & Percent
16.Out of Scope - Too Hard
17.Resolve Paradox
18.Similar Reasoning
19.Strengthen
20.Weaken
21.Poor quality

Reading Comprehension
a. Identify inferred idea
b. Identify stated idea

Question bank categories:
1.Tone
2.Debatable OA

SC
a. Grammar
b. Communication

1.Absolute Phrase
2.Adjectives and Adverbs
3.Clauses
4.Comparisons
5.Conjunctions
6.Construction
7.Debatable OA
8.Diction
9.Gerund
10.Grammatical Construction
11.Idioms
12.If-Then
13.Infinitive
14.Meaning
15.Modifiers
16.Nouns
17.Out of Scope - Too Hard
18.Pronouns
19.Parallel Structure
20.Participle Parallelism
21.Poor Quality
22.Punctuation
23.Redundancy
24.Resources
25.Style and Usage
26.Subject Verb Agreement
27.Subjunctive
28.Use of Being
29.Verb Tense/Form
30.Verb Voice
31.Which/That
32.Such as/Like
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge
Re: Need help for ESR Topic Breakdown  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 08:24
Hi dadihung,

Welcome to gmatclub!

I've found the following info regarding ESR: https://www.mba.com/mbas-and-business-m ... bal-skills

Critical Reasoning
Critical reasoning questions measure the reasoning skills you use when crafting or evaluating arguments, and formulating or evaluating a plan of action.

Analysis/Critique
Problems identified in this category test your ability to analyze the information given to you in the passage and carefully make reasoned judgments demonstrated by evaluating and breaking down an argument.

Construction/Plan

Problems identified in this category test your ability to use the information given in a passage to construct a plan of action for find the best logical solution.

Return to top
Reading Comprehension
Reading comprehension questions measure your ability to understand, analyze, and apply information and concepts presented in written form.

Identify Inferred Ideas
These problems use statements that include the premise but do not state a conclusion; you are asked to draw a conclusion based on the provided information.

Identify Stated Ideas
These problems require you to to clearly understand the explicitly stated main idea and supporting ideas which in order to answer the question.

Return to top
Sentence Correction
Sentence correction questions test your English language proficiency and ability to express an idea clearly, concisely, and grammatically correct.

Grammar
Problems in this category assess your ability to identify the answer that will create a sentence which is grammatically and structurally sound. The resulting sentence will conform to all the rules of standard written English, e.g., noun-verb agreement, pronoun consistency, pronoun case, and verb tense sequence.

Communication
Problems in this category asses your ability to identify the answer that will create an effective sentence which expresses an idea or relationship clearly and concisely, as well as grammatically. The test taker must be able to recognize whether the words are well chosen, accurate, and suitable for the context and does not include superfluous words or needlessly complicated expressions.

Reading Comprehension

a. Identify inferred idea
These are the old “read between the lines” questions. On an inference question, you’ll be asked to infer a certain fact or argument that would logically follow from the facts presented in the article.

b. Identify stated idea
These questions are reading comprehension at its most basic level. You’ll be asked to remember exactly what the author wrote at various points in the article.

SC
Meaning questions: https://gmatclub.com/forum/meaning-clar ... 45694.html

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 09:20
Hi,

Check the link below from MGMAT; hope it helps.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... re-report/

GOOD LUCK!

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 21:36
These explanations are clearer, thank you very much!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help for ESR Topic Breakdown &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 21:36

Need help for ESR Topic Breakdown

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap