Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Other
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need help!! How to go from 560 to 750 in a month or so? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi veejat,

Unfortunately, raising a 560 to a 750+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Other
GPA: 4
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi veejat,

Unfortunately, raising a 560 to a 750+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
1.I have been studying for a couple of months, and have cleared out all the basics.
2. I have been studying from og , and the books from TIME institute.
3. I have given 3 tests so far, from the gmatprep, Manhattanprep, and one from TIME where my scores have been 560 (q50 v17 ir4), 580(q48 v26 ir5) and 610.

4. I am planning to apply for Bschools in fall 2019, i.e., a year later, because I am not sure about being able to manage college while preparing for the gmat.

5. I wish to go to one of the colleges in ivy league, but that part i haven't been much clear about as getting a score has been my priority.

The only reason i am having verbal score so low is because i am unable to finish the section on time and end up leaving 5-6 questions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi veejat,

To start, it's important to note that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. While having to 'rush' through 5-6 questions at the end of the Verbal section would likely hurt your overall Verbal Score, that is NOT why you're scoring so low in the Verbal section (it's a 'symptom' of why you're scoring so low; it's not the cause). Thankfully, the Verbal section is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is - so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is "train" though; you have to focus on learning the proper content and the necessary Tactics/patterns of the Exam.

With just one month of study time remaining, there will likely be a limit to how much you could improve. To consistently score in the 700+ range (much less 750+), you will almost certainly need far more study time than you have allotted.

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with most of what already has been said regarding the timing of your GMAT. To improve almost 200 points, you likely will need more than just one month of prep.

Based on your verbal score of 17, I think your issues may be more about knowledge than about timing. If you had the appropriate verbal skills in SC, CR, and RC, then you would not have any issues finishing the verbal section.

To improve your GMAT verbal, you will want to use a resource that allows you to FIRST learn the concepts and strategies related to SC, CR, and RC, and then you will need to put in a lot of dedicated practice to test yourself on the areas you’ve reviewed. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual CR topics: strengthening, weakening, resolve the paradox, etc. As you learn each CR problem type, do focused practice so you can track your knowledge in the topic. For instance, if you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly. This process can be followed for all verbal topics.

If you are wondering which resources to use, check out the reviews here on GMAT Club.

You also may find my article helpful regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Please reach out with any further questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts