Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1923 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly suc [#permalink]
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
monilSoni - I personally like the overall length and structure, but the more I look into it in detail, the more problems I find in terms of grammar and style issues. You need to focus on modifiers and pronouns. One way to eliminate these minor errors is to proofread your writing for a good 2 to 3 minutes in the end. Also, you need to eliminate redundancy and a few style issues to make your writing confirm to standard business English. All that said, I can say that this essay will fetch you a score of 4.5-5 on the real-GMAT. With fine-tuning your weak areas, you could achieve a perfect 6. All the best.

DisciplinedPrep Thanks for taking the time out. I am referring MGMAT book for AWA. Is it good or do I need to check out another source?
I have one more question: Is it bad to use extreme language in the essay?
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Our promotional price reductions on energy drinks have been highly suc [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Moni

PFA a review of your first essay; wish you all the best in the impending Test.

daagh

Thanks a lot for your wishes :D
Also, the doc says the number of words and ok. That's it, right? Or am I not seeing something that should be there?

Sincerely,
Monil
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1923 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
monilSoni - I am not a big fan of Manhattan's or Kaplan's approach to the AWA section. The test prep companies make the section appear more difficult than it actually is. I highly recommend GMAT Club's gold standard AWA template created by chineseburned and helping several test takers get a perfect 6. The sheer number of kudos and bookmarks prove how amazing this post is.

How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... 64327.html
Current Student
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
monilSoni - I am not a big fan of Manhattan's or Kaplan's approach to the AWA section. The test prep companies make the section appear more difficult than it actually is. I highly recommend GMAT Club's gold standard AWA template created by chineseburned and helping several test takers get a perfect 6. The sheer number of kudos and bookmarks prove how amazing this post is.

How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... 64327.html

DisciplinedPrep - Oh yes! I did look at the post and I intend to follow it as well. I was asking whether the book was okay for the grammar and style issues.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Moni
Please find enclosed a review of your first essay.
Good on the Teat day!
daagh
Attachments

Moni's essay.docx [17.94 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Moni
yes
something is wrong. My file is not getting attached. No pl cheque the second posting
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Moni’s essay – Price discounts
The argument claims that the price reductions that the beverage manufacturer offered have been successful and well received. Further, the manufacturer also goes on to say that she will implement such reductions in all the drinks produced by the firm. I find this argument extremely hollow as it is based on weak assumptions, ignores the possibility of selection bias in the survey group and confuses revenue increase with profitability.

First, the argument asserts that the increase in unit sales is a direct result of the promotional price reductions and hence, the firm's price reduction scheme has been successful. This is a very botched argument because it assumes that the increase in unit sales is not the result of any other event such as another set of advertisements, shutting down of a competitor firm, or something as temporary as a sport congregation in the same area as a distribution outlet. There is no evidence of anything else that was put into place by the firm and hence, it is not possible to comment on the success of the scheme, that is if the success of the scheme was defined by the increase in sales and not increase in profit.

Second, the argument confuses increase in revenue with profitability and further goes on to claim that such a step will also work on other drinks produced by the firm. It is possible that the firm is just breaking even or maybe even incurring a loss with the increase in sales (and hence, revenue). However, we have no information about the costs to the company both the production costs and promotional costs and hence the claim of profitability falls flat. It will be helpful if we can get more details about the cost that the company incurred so that we can strengthen the claim 1. about the profitability. Furthermore, even if we assume that the firm has been profitable, there is no guarantee that previous success will result in future success - in this case, we cannot comment on the profitability of other drinks produced by the firm.
1. Drop the article’ ‘the’

Finally, the argument also uses the survey to claim that the consumers are happy. It might be true; however, we do not have any information about 2. the consumer demographics. Moreover, it is possible that not all customers have filled the survey: it might be the case that only the customers who care about the firm or like the energy drink manufactured by the firm care enough to fill out the survey forms. Therefore, with such strong assumptions about the people who filled out the survey, 3. this arguments also fail to hold out.
2. Drop the article’ the’
3. Should be “these arguments also fail “

In conclusion, this argument makes a lot of assumptions and confuses a lot of terms. It does not have enough evidence to hold its ground even against the slightest scrutiny. If there were further evidence about the claims, as mentioned above,4. then the argument can be strengthened.

4. If you use the subjunctive past” were’, then the main clause should use, the modal past ‘would’ but not ‘can’

Review and rating
1.Construction – Ok
2.Length 482 words --- Ok.
3.Flow --- ok.

4. Proofreading – okay; looks like auto –proofed
5.Paragraphing--- ok.
6. Opening---ok but could be better with some relevant exciting questions such as “ is the company run by financial experts?
7. Closing --- ok but could be more striking or creative such as -- the takeaway – The Company executives need to be trained in SWOT analysis. Or they should know the definition of mass psychology, critical volume, break-even, opportunity costs and etc.

Content:
8.Rhetoric: Perhaps you yourself could have given some data, study reports, anecdotes or examples. They are the hallmarks of a strong argument.
9.Grammar --- ok. But look into the use of articles, especially ‘the’
10. Flow --- easy and smooth.
11. Style--- good; can’t see any passive voice unnecessarily.
12. Rating – 5, with one or two good statistics, it could easily go up. But keep an eye on timing.

Good Luck
daagh
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts