Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Re: Need some advice... [#permalink]
I wouldn't be overly concerned about lack of business skills. If you really want to go the extra mile though, you can always enroll in economics, accounting, corporate finance, etc courses to get a head start and show initiative/dedication to the field to the adcoms. Personally I would focus more on differentiating myself (especially if you belong to an oversubscribed demographic), as that can prove a bigger hurdle to overcome than a perceived lack of core business courses.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
AlbertNTN wrote:

I want to have a switch to strategic management once I complete an MBA and get into consulting industry.

I am thinking of getting a CFA and jump into financial field.

Will my switch considered 'lack of focus in career' if I apply to B-school again?

In reading your post I don't get a strong sense of where you want to go, and that will change my advice a little. Are you interested in strategic management? if so why would you want a CFA or financial field? or Are you looking specifically at strategic management within finance? if so, then are you sure you want to go into consulting vs IB or finance?

I think that might just show a lack of focus if you're going from engineering into finance so that you get an MBA for strategy management consulting. I'm in engineering and one route I've concidered is to go from engineering to a mid-teir consulting firm IE Deloitte/Accenture. This for me would show solid career progression toward my goal of Management Consulting. If that was the case then it would actually help your application for MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ariel: i want to bolster my knowledge in finance/business, so I thought a CFA can give me both the knowledge and some 'credit' to show dedication for a switch to business side. I agree that differentiating from the crowd is more important in this case.
@GoBruins: i'm interested in doing strategic management and involving more on corporate finance side. Seems that I should not narrow down so early. Thanks for a good suggestion about switching to a consulting firm now. I'm researching on that direction, and the concern is to overcome the competition with those fresh grads for a starting position (vs me who are in engineering for a few years)

many thanks for the inputs. I realize there are many points that I overlooked...
GMAT Club Bot