Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need Urgent Help In Shortlisting Masters Programs [#permalink]
MiMEssay wrote:
tezos96 wrote:
From South Asia.
BSc(Hons) Accounting & Finance From my country's best business school.(AACSB Accredited)
CGPA: 3.34, SCGPA: 3.50
ECs: Have good experience in the uni's finance society where I was a member of the Executive Council.
Qualified and attended an international Financial Valuation Olympiad in Indonesia
GRE: 326 (166Q,160V)
Work Experience:
Internships in
External audit for KPMG,
Finance dept of Akzo Nobel
Supply at Uber
FT post undergrad(right now): Management Trainee--Corporate Banking (Relationship Manager) at my country's top bank.(started this June)

What I want in a master's program:
I'm not Heavy on quant so I DO NOT want a program such as MFE, QuantFin. (calculus is blekh, stats is nice tho)
Inclined towards something more on the lines of Corporate Finance or Something that combine Data & Finance or Markets Research(but I figure that needs quant too?).
Alternatively I'm considering switching to business analytics and looking at programs that start from a basic level and build up (as well as let you take electives which I can take finance oriented)

I'm confused and all over the place on this one.

Future career prospects:
Also: The only major goal post masters is finding employment whatsoever because I can't pay for the degree by coming back home after it. So any program I do has to be STEM and have a good value in the market so as to help me get a job (ofcourse the grind to get one is on me).
Sectors that interest me: consultancy, venture capital or FinTech Startups or last resort at an FMCG. (Absolute no to hardcore Banking)

Considering U.S and Canada both. budget is around $80k
looking to apply for Fall 2020 intake

Need a profile evaluation and recommendations on what should I masters in and from where?

Hey @tezos96,eYou have a pretty strong profile as such - GPA and work ex. are pretty strong, extra-curriculars look decent as well, but would need more details.
I would recommend a Masters in Finance only if you are super sure of working in the Finance in the long term - However if you want to keep your options open then you could opt for a Masters in Management with a Finance specialization.
I have created a robust algorithm that gives you school suggestions as per your profile and country preferences, I took the liberty of entering your details to find some school suggestions for your profile.
Here are some school suggestions as per your profile:

MS Finance

Dream - Michigan Ross
Competitive - Babson (STEM), University of Virginia (STEM), UT Dallas (STEM), Schulich
Safe - Simon Fraser

MS Analytics
Dream - NYU,UT Austin
Competitive - Duke, Texes A&M, Rotman, McGill
Safe - University of Texes

But again, as I mentioned I would need more profile details - I would need more profile details to make a more detailed analysis.
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that you can get more accurate school analysis -

Let me know if you need any more help :)

Thankyou for your response!

I do not want to pursue an MiM as it is more of a generalist degree than would be useful to me considering I have an undergrad business background. Also it lacks STEM that is absolutely essential.

So far I've figured Duke MQM to be the best option as it lets me dabble into analytics,management while retaining a finance concentration that is not too focused on quant. Any similar programs I should look at? Also how would you chance me for it given my profile.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
tezos96 wrote:
MiMEssay wrote:
tezos96 wrote:
From South Asia.
BSc(Hons) Accounting & Finance From my country's best business school.(AACSB Accredited)
CGPA: 3.34, SCGPA: 3.50
ECs: Have good experience in the uni's finance society where I was a member of the Executive Council.
Qualified and attended an international Financial Valuation Olympiad in Indonesia
GRE: 326 (166Q,160V)
Work Experience:
Internships in
External audit for KPMG,
Finance dept of Akzo Nobel
Supply at Uber
FT post undergrad(right now): Management Trainee--Corporate Banking (Relationship Manager) at my country's top bank.(started this June)

What I want in a master's program:
I'm not Heavy on quant so I DO NOT want a program such as MFE, QuantFin. (calculus is blekh, stats is nice tho)
Inclined towards something more on the lines of Corporate Finance or Something that combine Data & Finance or Markets Research(but I figure that needs quant too?).
Alternatively I'm considering switching to business analytics and looking at programs that start from a basic level and build up (as well as let you take electives which I can take finance oriented)

I'm confused and all over the place on this one.

Future career prospects:
Also: The only major goal post masters is finding employment whatsoever because I can't pay for the degree by coming back home after it. So any program I do has to be STEM and have a good value in the market so as to help me get a job (ofcourse the grind to get one is on me).
Sectors that interest me: consultancy, venture capital or FinTech Startups or last resort at an FMCG. (Absolute no to hardcore Banking)

Considering U.S and Canada both. budget is around $80k
looking to apply for Fall 2020 intake

Need a profile evaluation and recommendations on what should I masters in and from where?

Hey tezos96,eYou have a pretty strong profile as such - GPA and work ex. are pretty strong, extra-curriculars look decent as well, but would need more details.
I would recommend a Masters in Finance only if you are super sure of working in the Finance in the long term - However if you want to keep your options open then you could opt for a Masters in Management with a Finance specialization.
I have created a robust algorithm that gives you school suggestions as per your profile and country preferences, I took the liberty of entering your details to find some school suggestions for your profile.
Here are some school suggestions as per your profile:

MS Finance

Dream - Michigan Ross
Competitive - Babson (STEM), University of Virginia (STEM), UT Dallas (STEM), Schulich
Safe - Simon Fraser

MS Analytics
Dream - NYU,UT Austin
Competitive - Duke, Texes A&M, Rotman, McGill
Safe - University of Texes

But again, as I mentioned I would need more profile details - I would need more profile details to make a more detailed analysis.
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that you can get more accurate school analysis -

Let me know if you need any more help :)

Thankyou for your response!

I do not want to pursue an MiM as it is more of a generalist degree than would be useful to me considering I have an undergrad business background. Also it lacks STEM that is absolutely essential.

So far I've figured Duke MQM to be the best option as it lets me dabble into analytics,management while retaining a finance concentration that is not too focused on quant. Any similar programs I should look at? Also how would you chance me for it given my profile.

Hi tezos96,
Duke MQM would be realizable with a strong application but very frankly it is a pretty competitive program at the end of the day and as mentioned in my previous post I would need more data points about your profile to gauge your selection chances.
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation, so that I can get your profile score and subsequently gauge your selection chances.
Also, post the evaluation you will automatically be guided to our school selector tool wherein you will be suggested some dream, competitive and safe programs as per your profile score and country preferences.
Here's the link to take up the evaluation : https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gmat-pe

You can also ping me on support@mim-essay.com to in case you need personalized suggestions :) I know it sounds like a commercialized email ID but I personally read and reply mails totally free of cost :D

Let me know!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts