Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1027 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Marketing
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Needed someone to explain me this madness or will shoot myse [#permalink]
I got V27

just with 13 incorrect;5 of them in first 10 question,In addition,my last 12 question is right.

Yeah i got 4 incorrect in row in quant, after 1 correct,2 incorrect in row. However after then till to 22th quand is right.

That is not fair. Just really not fair. With 11 incorrect from Q and 13 from verbal and the score is 570. You know what guyz it sucks. I cant take it anymore.

F!ck that sh't
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
yeah I think if you get "easier" ones wrong then you get more deducted and if you them consecutively wrong then it pretty much kills your chances of getting a good overall score no mater how much better you do later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '18
Send PM
Here is my theory for what happened. Let's imagine there are only 10 questions, and a score of "1" is an easy question, and a "10" is a hard question.

Let's say you get questions 1-5 wrong, and questions 6-10 right. Then the difficulty of the questions you face (and therefore the potential points) might be as follows:
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Let's say you get questions 1-5 right, and then questions 6-10 wrong. Then the questions you will face might be:
5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 9, 8, 8

It seems to be the case that answering easier questions incorrectly will hurt you more than answering hard questions incorrectly. You simply cannot recover.

Based on your other test, clearly you have the ability to do well. Just analyze what you did wrong in this test and apply your learnings to the next one!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes it was really depressing for me in the morning....but u have to learn to counter it..Somehow....So just learn from the mistakes and try performing better next time....( Well by these words I am also trying to consol myself :( for today's prep fiasco!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I saw my Quant was Q41 and shocked then checked the list. I have done just 11 incorrect answer. Just couple of days ago i got Q49 with 9 incorrect answer. Can anyone explain to me that how just 2 more incorrect answer decreased my Quant score 49 to 41?

You guys NEED to understand that the number of questions you get wrong is immaterial without the hardness level of these questions. For instance, I got 11 wrong and I had a 49. But all the questions I got wrong were really hard questions. If you make 11 mistakes on easier questions, yes, your score will drop. Or if you'd made consecutive errors or something like that.

The number of questions doesn't mean ANYTHING without knowing the difficulty level of the questions you missed. So please don't take it personally, and try to understand how the algorithm works and work towards betterment of your concepts rather than analyze why a 2 question drop means a 7 point drop when there's no correlation to prove the same.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Venture Capital and Startups
Schools:Stanford
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Yeah, wiplash pretty much said it.

You have to compare the difficulty of the questions.
Sometimes you answer more questions and get a lower score. Sometimes you answer less questions and get a higher score.

Also, keep in mind that it is the combination of hard/easy questions answered correctly at a specific time on the gmat. Besides that there are many theories on how you should perform.

A. Some argue that strong start and weak finish is better than weak start and strong finish.

B. Some people say that consistency is the key to achieve a higher score. That means that you need to answer questions right both in the beginning and in the end.

Based on my experience: if you mess up badly in the beginning than you are pretty much screwed because your score range will be very low (now if the first questions happen to be easy than you are in deep sh*t). So no matter how good you are later on, you will have a set score ceiling.

Also, try to answer correctly two hard questions in a row. That bumps up the difficulty level of future questions.

Now if you answer, 5 or more hard questions in a row at the end of the test, than you have hit jackpot. That's when you end up with 49/48 with 10-13 mistakes!

Obviously, if you messed up in the beginning with those easy questions in a row, then you might never get to hard level questions because GMAT will decide the difficulty for you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also I' d like to point out another thing....Keep ur mistakes distributed- for eg. don't commit mistakes only in CR or RC or SC...When I got 12 wrong I had 5 in RC but the catch here is that I got one FULL RC WRONG ( 3 out of 3 ). Hope u get the point!
Intern
Intern
Status:it won't happen in one day but it'll happen one day
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
hmmm....you'd do yourself a world of good by avoiding the very idea of unraveling/deciphering the UN-decipherable(read-gmac algorithm) and concentrating purely on your preparation....for that thankfully...nay hopefully follows a simpler trajectory.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
As said by friends above only the number of incorrect answers on GMAT don't count but the difficulty level of questions also.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I got Q50 and V22 today.

I want to consult you guyz. Today i motivated myself to do quant well more than the last one. So i spent all my effort on it. My brain was so awake and tried not to trip up.however, i cought 2 easy question out of 8 incorrect answer.

Anyway after focused a lot on a certain section,I couldnt focus on verbal,i felt tired and exhausted. My deduction is you cant over focus to a certain section if you dont want to blow up other one.

My question is what are you thinking about chemical for focusing such as Ritalin,g-sang or L-carnetien. Should i use some stimulant to keep me up awake and increase my stamina?

I heard about Ritalin so much. What you think guyz
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i am not sure what you mean by "focus" on one section and cant on another. You just need to keep doing practice tests to adapt to the 3-4 hours. Also when you are practicing do take 8 min breaks between sections like the real GMAT - maybe that will help you out. You could try energy drinks too..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
I got Q50 and V22 today.

I want to consult you guyz. Today i motivated myself to do quant well more than the last one. So i spent all my effort on it. My brain was so awake and tried not to trip up.however, i cought 2 easy question out of 8 incorrect answer.

Anyway after focused a lot on a certain section,I couldnt focus on verbal,i felt tired and exhausted. My deduction is you cant over focus to a certain section if you dont want to blow up other one.

My question is what are you thinking about chemical for focusing such as Ritalin,g-sang or L-carnetien. Should i use some stimulant to keep me up awake and increase my stamina?

Adderall is legit stuff, it will definitely help your stamina and focus for a few hours. Only available through prescription though.

Try Redline:
https://www.energyfiend.com/2008/01/redline-power-rush

It will give you good sustained focus without all the jitters.

Thanks and take care,
Dawglet
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
I got Q50 and V22 today.

You have to build endurance, else you can score high. During the break try eating some sugar/energy rich stuff such as chocolates, energy bars, banana,and Almonds , and drink energy drinks such as redBull or drink simple water.

Splashing water on the face also delays the mental fatigue-> this really works.

But you should simulate all these things during CAT's, not on the day of test.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Adderal is a drug,which cant find in turkey. However, it is almost same with Ritalin. But guyz Ritalin shows effect after 10 intense using days. I dont have ritalin i need something stimulate my blood suddenly. I ask couple of junkies about some drugs:D but i am afraid they make me high:D

My plan is drinking one-shot 2000mg L-carnetin and in break after awa eat almond caramel choclate. The second brake i will drink half of a redbull,water and splashing water on my face:)....

However if you know any drug has snap effects let me know please.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i used 5 hour energy drink.. it workd wonders
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
vwjetty wrote:
yeah I think if you get "easier" ones wrong then you get more deducted and if you them consecutively wrong then it pretty much kills your chances of getting a good overall score no mater how much better you do later.

I also think so.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts